Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

History says we're a championship club

edited April 2015 in General Charlton
http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9817599/liverpool-lead-manchester-united-arsenal-everton-and-tottenham-in-ultimate-league

Interesting article...

Many of us charlton fans think the premier league is where we belong and this belief has been slowly diminishing.

But currently we sit one place in the table above our last 50-year average.

Comments

• I've never thought of us as anything other than a "league 2" club, so currently in our rightful place. We were always, however well we did, tarts dressed as duchesses in the Prem, and we are of course far too classy for the division below (the natural home of the scum).

Cant imagine many fans think the Prem is our natural home, but that might be an age thing.
  • Only if you think "history" started 50 years ago.

ours started 109 years ago and our league history 94 years ago

So all of our first 20 year spell in the top flight is ignored in that list.

We would most likely be in roughly the same place but teams like Palace would be lower.

If only there we some sort of collection of materials and records related to Charlton history that all fans could access.
  • http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9817599/liverpool-lead-manchester-united-arsenal-everton-and-tottenham-in-ultimate-league

Interesting article...

Many of us charlton fans think the premier league is where we belong and this belief has been slowly diminishing.

I think anyone who thinks that are exaggerating, I think the only teams that belong in the prem are
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Newcastle
    Tottenham

if any of those dropped out, for example when Newcastle did it was a massive surprise and they walked the championship the following year it just so happens there are 20 teams in the prem so that leaves 12 spots for decent teams to have a nice go at it
  • I've always seen us as a Championship club
  • Only if you think "history" started 50 years ago.

ours started 109 years ago and our league history 94 years ago

So all of our first 20 year spell in the top flight is ignored in that list.

We would most likely be in roughly the same place but teams like Palace would be lower.

If only there we some sort of collection of materials and records related to Charlton history that all fans could access.

If you look only in more recent years as well. EG if you started supporting the club in 1986 you would have seen 11 years of Premiership football, including top half finishes, 15 Championship, mainly in the top half, and 3 league One.

We are as much a Premiership level club as most of those outside the 8 mentioned above over the modern period
  • In Sky's terms, football "history" only started in 1992 when the Premier League commenced. Only starting the history in 1965 is strange.
  • I think we're a club that belongs top half Championship to bottom half PL.
  • That table is nonsense anyway.

If it was correct, wouldn't Sheffield Wednesday be top?
  • http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9817599/liverpool-lead-manchester-united-arsenal-everton-and-tottenham-in-ultimate-league

Interesting article...

I think anyone who thinks that are exaggerating, I think the only teams that belong in the prem are
    Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Newcastle
    Tottenham

if any of those dropped out, for example when Newcastle did it was a massive surprise and they walked the championship the following year it just so happens there are 20 teams in the prem so that leaves 12 spots for decent teams to have a nice go at it
    Despite their relatively poor recent seasons, I would add Aston Villa to that list as they have been in the Premier League since day one.
  • Sponsored links:

• A fair assessment I think from Paulie, the Premiership is really an adventure playground for Clubs like ours, unless of course Roland is a lot cleverer than we have given him credit for.

Interesting article...

Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Newcastle
    Tottenham

Despite their relatively poor recent seasons, I would add Aston Villa to that list as they have been in the Premier League since day one.
    Was about to say that, and despite their recent woes Leeds could be added to that list.
  • Just a question, I know there's no way of telling but..

If we were in League One, with the squad that we currently have, do you think we would win the league?

If we were in League One, with the squad that we currently have, do you think we would win the league?

We have the skill but not the Legs ?

We would need more runners in the team.

Jordan cousins have the stamina but the fitness is lacking in quite a few of our players. Tony watt and Igor both need to sort out their stamina issues.
    If sharp they would run riot at that level. (let's hope we don't find out !)

We have the skill but not the Legs ?

We would need more runners in the team.

Jordan cousins have the stamina but the fitness is lacking in quite a few of our players. Tony watt and Igor both need to sort out their stamina issues.
    If sharp they would run riot at that level. (let's hope we don't find out !)

I was thinking that the depth of our squad is lacking a bit in a lot of departments, I'll be interested to see how well Bristol City do after they demolished League One this year.
  • edited May 2015
    We are also Symmetrical.

Won/Drawn/Lost

Home 9-9-5 Away 5-9-9
  • Shame that we lost so many home games after it took us until late November to lose the first.
  • edited May 2015
    Those 9-9-5 & 5-9-9 are in won-drawn-lost format rather than won-lost-drawn which kinda makes my point about losing so many home games look silly.

Who were the five?

Ipswich were first, with Blackburn and Bournemouth coming late on... and two others.
  • Seeing as I started watching the club in 1961 when we were in the old D2 and were basically always at that level until 1998 (apart from 3 or 4 years under Lennie in D1 and a couple of sojourns in D3) I consider that we are a Championship club. Anything more is a bonus and anything less is a disaster. However, I'm sure anyone who started following the club in 1937 and was asked this question in 1957 would say we were a D1 club so it all depends on your perspective and perspectives do change.

Interesting article...

Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Newcastle
    Tottenham

I disagree - Newcastle have spent 10 of the past 40 years outside the top flight, Villa just the one. Substitute Villa for Newcastle and (Man City's millions not withstanding) you are on a winner Paul.

Course that might be different in a couple of weeks time...
  • Sponsored links:

Interesting article...

Arsenal
    Chelsea
    Everton
    Liverpool
    Man City
    Man Utd
    Newcastle
    Tottenham

You forgot The Massive, so clearly loved by their Blades nemesis:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=sheffield+wednesday&defid=5838695