Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

GL to recruit from home and abroad this summer

Comments

• Happy with that.
  • Riveting read.
  • "My target is all the key players will stay"
    I can't see that happening simply because Buyens and Bulot are on loan and some club in the FAPL is bound to put in a silly money offer for one of our top players.
    However, if they can recruit at the same calibre as last summer then ideally we can keep improving?
    I wonder what it really takes to deliver our best season since 2007?
  • WSS said:

"My target is all the key players will stay"
    I can't see that happening simply because Buyens and Bulot are on loan and some club in the FAPL is bound to put in a silly money offer for one of our top players.
    However, if they can recruit at the same calibre as last summer then ideally we can keep improving?

If we improve on 9th in 12/13 then that's an excellent season.
    win our 2 last games and Blackburn fail to win either, and we finish 9th this season
  • I think the difference now vs January and summer 2014 is that we now have a squad full of players with English experience - players like Igor, JoBerg, Buyens (if he stays) are settled and have adapted... well... maybe Igor has actually gone backwards a little bit if anything, but the point is all those imports have a year in England under their belt. Coupled with the signings we made in Jan/Feb 2015 we now have plenty of players that know what it takes here so we are much better positioned to carry a few foreign recruits while they settle in.

Last year I think there was an argument to say that a lot of people at the club - players/manager/CEO were too new and the fact they were having to learn together created problems. Everyone seems to have a better grasp on how things need to be done in England now, which isn't that different but different enough that you can't just come in and do exactly what worked in Belgium or wherever else.

Very well put.
  • "My target is all the key players will stay"

More wins would help
  • Sponsored links:

• The question in my mind is, is Guy stating a personal opinion or expressing what is now Charlton policy agreed with Katrien and/or Roland? We were told that the Head Coach says what type of player he wants but that recruitment is down to others. Guy needs to have at least the final say and power of veto if he can really be said to be shaping his own team.
  • I think the difference now vs January and summer 2014 is that we now have a squad full of players with English experience - players like Igor, JoBerg, Buyens (if he stays) are settled and have adapted... well... maybe Igor has actually gone backwards a little bit if anything, but the point is all those imports have a year in England under their belt. Coupled with the signings we made in Jan/Feb 2015 we now have plenty of players that know what it takes here so we are much better positioned to carry a few foreign recruits while they settle in.

Last year I think there was an argument to say that a lot of people at the club - players/manager/CEO were too new and the fact they were having to learn together created problems. Everyone seems to have a better grasp on how things need to be done in England now, which isn't that different but different enough that you can't just come in and do exactly what worked in Belgium or wherever else.

This!
    I stated last summer that in theory the board were building a young squad which could hold its own AND gain age and experience. Some fell by the wayside, including Peeters.

But Gomez, Cousins, Fox and many new signings are flying it. To the extent that there is a tabloid story virtually every week linking one of our players to the FAPL. As you say, our club has more experience - many of our squad have 30-40 more games in their locker.

And everyone should now be crystal clear that it's a hard 46 game season where many (not all) of the participant clubs have aspirations for the top eiIght.

There are few easy games and the board must now know two things: we need FAPL loans to top up quality in key areas and we need quality loan cover if a key player is out injured for more than a couple of weeks.
  • I think we should all be realistic about what happens this summer. If we lose Buyens and Bulot, they will need to be replaced with similar quality if we are to have a similar season next year; that will neither be easy, nor cheap.
  • TelMc32 said:

Sorry about the LOL...good to read, but found myself looking at the link above and completely disregarding the h1 towards the end of the url! Hope that's not what we'll be saying when we see who comes in!! :smile:
    Haha didn't notice that. It is the bit.ly website which creates the shortened links not me!
  • TelMc32 said:

Sorry about the LOL...good to read, but found myself looking at the link above and completely disregarding the h1 towards the end of the url! Hope that's not what we'll be saying when we see who comes in!! :smile:
    Haha didn't notice that. It is the bit.ly website which creates the shortened links not me!
  • wmcf123 said:

I think we should all be realistic about what happens this summer. If we lose Buyens and Bulot, they will need to be replaced with similar quality if we are to have a similar season next year; that will neither be easy, nor cheap.

True, but at least they will go back to Liege with positive experiences and tell the fringe players who might want to hang around and take their chances in Belgium that the grass might just be greener after all.
  • thenewbie said:

wmcf123 said:

I think we should all be realistic about what happens this summer. If we lose Buyens and Bulot, they will need to be replaced with similar quality if we are to have a similar season next year; that will neither be easy, nor cheap.

True, but at least they will go back to Liege with positive experiences and tell the fringe players who might want to hang around and take their chances in Belgium that the grass might just be greener after all.
    Absolutely. Much better position than we were in post Thuram-Ulien!
  • edited April 2015
    How many points did we finish on that season 12/13 can't be arsed to check. I'd say get more points than that and it's been the best if we can't then regardless where we finish it's not been as good
  • Next season is one of those where the opportunity is there to push on. In recent times, this has resulted in the opposite happening, but the riches the Premiership offer and the players we have already must be tempting for the owner. JBG is going to be a big one, as it will signal intent to the others. He needs to be tempted into a I year extension.
  • Sponsored links:

• Provided that Buyens and Bulot want to stay I suspect that they will be permanent transfers from SL.
  • How many points did we finish on that season 12/13 can't be arsed to check. I'd say get more points than that and it's been the best if we can't then regardless where we finish it's not been as good

• Provided that Buyens and Bulot want to stay I suspect that they will be permanent transfers from SL.

I think Yoni will return to Belgium. He's hinted at it already. Bulot on the other hand I can see staying.
  • Get Michael Turner in if he's not wanted at norwich

I think Yoni will return to Belgium. He's hinted at it already. Bulot on the other hand I can see staying.
    This

I did not realize until the other day he had a wife and kid, so if they don't want to leave Belgium he will probably stay and Standard
  • "He said: “I know exactly which type of player I want to recruit for next season"

Note "type of player" not "which players".