Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Birmingham v Charlton | Sat 25 Apr | 3pm KICK-OFF | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Birmingham City v Charlton Athletic
Saturday 25th April 2015 - 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire)

Introduction

And so we come to the penultimate game of the season... 44-matches have been played with the Addicks travelling as far south as Brighton and Hove Albion and travelling as far north as Middlesbrough, only two matches remain for Charlton in the 2014/15 Championship season, and then... and then its all over for another three months, though before the players can begin to think of their summer holidays, one final away match remains; against Birmingham City.

The Opposition
Once again; Charlton find themselves up against mid-table opposition, with nothing to aim for (expect a bit of pride maybe) you could probably expect another lifeless match, similar in that sense to the fixture played out at the Valley in October between these two sides, a 1-1 draw was the result that day with a goal from Igor Vetokele opening the scoring before Birmingham would bounce back early in the second half.

Lee Clark was in the opposing dugout that day and with the result leaving Birmingham in serious relegation trouble, Clark wouldn’t see out the month and would be sacked on the 21st October... The new man in charge is certainly no stranger to the Valley; Gary Rowett would sign for Charlton as a Defender in 2002 yet despite showing his potential would struggle for appearances due to injury and would move on to Burton in 2004…

Now as the Birmingham Manager he’s caused a bit of a revival in the Midlands, just two home defeats since taking charge mean that taking three points back to South London won’t be an easy task.

Player to Watch
Links between these two sides are strong… For Birmingham; Goalkeeper: Darren Randolph came through the Charlton Youth Academy whilst Jonathan Spector spent time on loan at the Valley early in his career whilst for the Addicks: Roger Johnson will be returning to the side with whom he won the League Cup in 2011.

Of course the fact that one player has been left from the above makes him my player to watch in ex-League One winning Defender: Michael Morrison.

Starting his career at Cambridge United, Michael would move to Charlton in the summer of 2011 (following spells at Leicester and Sheffield Wednesday), in his first season he’d be part of Charlton history winning the League One title, over the next three years he would make over 130-appearances as vice-captain, a new contract would be signed last summer keeping him at the Valley until 2016, yet with the arrival of Bob Peeters, Morrison would find himself frozen out of the side and would only make two appearances this season.

With Gary Rowett taking over at Birmingham, Morrison would move up to the Midlands where he has made 20-appearances without finding the net, a leader on and off the pitch, his arrival at Birmingham surely cant be coincidence with their good home form… Can it?

Line-Up
Henderson
Solly – Gomez – Ben-Haim – Wiggins
Gudmundsson – Buyens – Cousins – Bulot
Watt – Vetokele

Prediction
Birmingham City 1-2 Charlton Athletic

Comments

• well done FA, enjoyed reading your previews - thanks
  • Good work @ForeverAddickted, you can take pride in the fact that, for much of this season, your match previews have been far more entertaining than the matches they were about!

As for tomorrow's game, I reckon 1-1, although to be quite honest I really couldn't care less. Hope Morrison gets a standing ovation from the away end, still bitter that Roland let him go.
  • Comfortable away win 4-0.
  • Are we playing tomorrow ? Meerrrr 4-6 all goals scored by the ref.
  • just a follow-up to my Preview this week...

With @StubleyAddick covering the Bournemouth match, this is my last preview of the season... I know I only started doing this early in the season (against Norwich I think it was), I'm not qualified and have no experience in writing (yet is something I've always enjoyed doing) so hope I dont babble on too much at times

Of course I'll be still posting on here on a daily basis throughout the summer but hope everyone has a good break

Basically thanks for reading this year and thanks to @AFKABartram and @StubleyAddick for allowing me to contribute, hopefully I'll be back doing this next season too.

No need to thank me, mate. I'm glad you've enjoyed it and thank you for helping me out when I have been unable to do them! Another good read, buddy.
  • edited April 2015
    Heart says 1-0 Derby. Benty with the goal.

Head says 1-0 home win.

Are we playing too? ;)
  • I don't give a fuck really as long as the Spanners lose...

0-1 to the Addicks!
  • He's better than Stubley, he's better than Stubbbbly, Forever Addickted, he's better than Stubbley'. :smiley:

Would MM still be with us if Luzon had been in charge from the start of the season?

0-2 Charlton. Both teams with nothing to play for but we have better attackers and they have a chubby keeper.
  • All depends on whether Guy plays a strong team or keeps some stars in reserve to ensure we are at full strength against Bournemouth. Full strength or close to it and I see us getting a narrow win 1-2. A weaker team and I think we'll go down 2-0.

Like your reviews, @ForeverAddickted, thanks.
  • Sponsored links:

• For those who bet on a top half finish, this means he'll of a lot.
    If we don't lose, bet won.
  • End of season meaningless match but if you really think that just remember its a long time to go until the Parkview Road trip again. Not even an England shambles to watch this summer. To those going enjoy the game, another 1-1 draw with a Vetokele goal for us no less.
  • @ForeverAddickted some great previews over the season. Great effort and thanks for the contributions. Toss up between you and Stubley who gets Park View in July

1-1 for me this one
  • A win cemments without doubt a top half finish.
  • For those who bet on a top half finish, this means he'll of a lot.
    If we don't lose, bet won.

On a knife's edge at the moment.

Money on Igor to finish top scorer (tied with JBG atm)

Money on top half finish too.
  • Darren Bent Bent Bent

Come on Derby
  • Addicks nick this 2-1, match thread from 2 pm......tomorrow will be my last match thread of the season....I've not done as many as I hoped but health problems stopped me in my tracks last year. Fortunately I'm now improving and my aim to make the last game of the season is on course and I'm currently 98% certain to be at The Valley next week. Thanks all for following the threads this season...next year I will be back and stronger than ever after my heart is restarted in a few weeks time...god bless and take care all.

You're a stalwart mate and your effort is much appeciated by us lightweights on here! Keep on fighting.
  • A nice relaxing day out in sunny/rainy Birmingham, 2 teams with nothing to play for serve up a thriller to distract us from following the Millwall and Rotherham scores
  • 1-0, same result as last year. Igor
  • Sponsored links:

• F*** the game, I'll be having lots of beer beforehand.
  • just a follow-up to my Preview this week...

With @StubleyAddick covering the Bournemouth match, this is my last preview of the season... I know I only started doing this early in the season (against Norwich I think it was), I'm not qualified and have no experience in writing (yet is something I've always enjoyed doing) so hope I dont babble on too much at times

Of course I'll be still posting on here on a daily basis throughout the summer but hope everyone has a good break

Basically thanks for reading this year and thanks to @AFKABartram and @StubleyAddick for allowing me to contribute, hopefully I'll be back doing this next season too.

Would be great if a few more had a go.

Good to have different voices.

Well done for your first season. Seems longer
  • And well done @ForeverAddickted - nice preview of the match, it must be hard writing for games which have nothing riding on them !
  • if I had a mortgage I'd stick it all on a 1-1 draw.
  • 2-1 to the addicks
  • Addicks nick this 2-1, match thread from 2 pm......tomorrow will be my last match thread of the season....I've not done as many as I hoped but health problems stopped me in my tracks last year. Fortunately I'm now improving and my aim to make the last game of the season is on course and I'm currently 98% certain to be at The Valley next week. Thanks all for following the threads this season...next year I will be back and stronger than ever after my heart is restarted in a few weeks time...god bless and take care all.

Enjoy the last game. And thanks for your efforts over this, future and past seasons.
  • They won't be bothered. We won't be bothered. Home advantage takes it. 2 - 1
  • 1-2
    Thanks for interesting reviews, @ForeverAddickted.