Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CAFC vs Bournemouth | Sat 2nd May 2015 | 12:15pm Kick-Off | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic vs A.F.C Bournemouth
12:15pm Kick-Off
Referee – Neil Swarbrick

INTRODUCTION

I’d like to start by saying that this will be my last preview for CL.

I may help out every now and then next season, but due to my Uni commitments which see me heading into final year of Sports Journalism studies in September and my News Shopper/freelance commitments, I will not have as much time as I would like to do these.

I would like to thank everyone who has read, commented and helped during this time, especially, AFKA, Henry and WSS as well as, @ForeverAddickted for covering the midweek games this season. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed covering them and would recommend anyone with a free 30 mins on a Wednesday or Thursday to help out. These past three years of doing these previews have flown by and I will miss doing them.

Anyway, enough of my goodbye as this weekend the Championship (minus a miracle) will say farewell to Bournemouth, who visit The Valley on Saturday before playing Premier League football next season.

Guy Luzon’s side, meanwhile, will be hoping to be the party poopers by rounding off a roller-coaster campaign with victory ahead of what is expected to be a busy pre-season for the Addicks.

THE OPPOSITION

With 95 goals scored and the second lowest goals conceded this campaign, I think it’s safe to say that Bournemouth have thoroughly deserved their promotion which shall be sealed on Saturday.

However much they may have spent on players during the past year, you can argue that Eddie Howe’s squad on paper, is still not as strong as the likes of Derby and Norwich who have only managed to secure a play-off place.

The defence have been terrific all season and they will have ex-Addick Simon Francis back after his suspension.

In midfield, both Matt Richie and Marc Pugh have been excellent down the wings and were both on the scoresheet in their 3-0 victory over Bolton on Monday. Meanwhile, Andrew Surman and another former Addick, Harry Arter should occupy the middle of midfield.

Finally, Yann Kermorgant, on his return to The Valley is likely to partner top-scorer Callum Wilson with Brett Pitman and Kenwyne Jones on the bench.

ONE TO WATCH – YANN KERMORGANT

Despite the number of players I could have chosen, there only has to be one selection, Yann Kermorgant.

Yann had two and a half successful seasons at The Valley and despite leaving the club in difficult circumstances, he should still expect a decent welcome like he did last season, on Saturday.

Although he missed a penalty last Monday, the Frenchman has still scored 17 goals in the league for his side this season and has played a vital role in Bournemouth’s success.

LINE-UP

Goalkeeper Stephen Henderson will be hoping to keep a clean sheet to round off a fantastic debut season for Charlton.

In defence, centre-backs Roger Johnson and Tal Ben Haim could play their last games for the club, if they start but Joe Gomez is also in contention. Morgan Fox and Rhoys Wiggins will battle out the left-back spot.

In midfield, Yoni Buyens could start his last match and should be partnered by Jordan Cousins. JBG probably will start but hopefully not for the final time in a Charlton shirt, while Frederic Bulot and Chris Eagles will battle out the left flank.

Upfront, Tony Watt and Igor Vetokele should start, while Simon Church will also be pushing for a selection.

Some youngsters such as Karlan Ahearne-Grant may get a spot on the bench.

PREDICTION

19-0.

Comments

• edited April 2015
    I am especially intrigued as to what HappyValley will predict this week.
  • Reckon we will get a sherlacking!

Still got a fiver on us though, nothing changes...
  • Well played Stubbley with the previews this season. Poignant game. Expect we will be saying goodbye to several players we'll miss (and a few we won't). Sadly, it won't be 19-0 either. What a laugh it would be if it was 19-0 and Boro lost!
  • Great work with the Previews this season Stubley... Been a pleasure working with you this season to get them completed.
  • Silly Billy, of course it will be 19-0 - what other score-line could there possibly be?
  • thanks Stubley, I've enjoyed your previews, good luck with uni
    as for Saturday at best a draw and someone give Yann a clap from me
  • Stubley, many thanks for the previews, you have constantly enriched Charlton Life.
  • Bet 365 are offering 5-1 on a home win.

• Well done @StubleyAddick and good luck with your degree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Cheers Stubley!
  • 3-2 Cheers Stubley!
  • LenGlover said:

Bet 365 are offering 5-1 on a home win.

10-3 the draw with Paddy Power
  • Stubbers the Splitter :-)

Rumours on Twitter there will be a minutes applause in the 73rd minute to mark the number of previews he has churned out. Cheers pal, will reply to inbox tomorrow.

19-1
  • edited April 2015
    shirty5 said:

LenGlover said:

Bet 365 are offering 5-1 on a home win.

10-3 the draw with Paddy Power
    We are 6/1 with Betvictor, which is far too big.

• Charlton to Win.
    Boro to beat Brighton.
    Humongous Ostrich Egg on someones face.
  • Well I can certainly say my first full season as a Charlton supporter was exciting to say the least. With a busy off-season imminent, I can't help but be even more excited for the summer, even if it means I say goodbye to football for a few months. Hopefully the likes of Yoni B and Freddy sign perms for the club, would love at least one of them to stay. Have a feeling Mr. Gudmundsson will be sticking around (captain material if it wasn't for Solly) hopefully we can go out with a bang, wouldn't mind messing up Bournemouth's title bid. 19-0 sounds good to me, all for Churchinho after he comes on in the 57th minute, COYA
  • Sponsored links:

• 2-1 to the addicks, jbg and vetokele, 5/1 looks tempting
  • In the end its been a fairly satisfactory season. I predicted we would finish 14th but we've done a little bit better than that. I hoped we would win more and lose fewer home games, and that's exactly what has happened. Only four home defeats ain't bad by anyone's standards, but after Saturday I fear the total will be five.

Bournemouth are an awesome side. They will just be too good for us on Saturday, even if we play as well as we have been for the most part recently. 1-3 with Tony Watt scoring for us.

• Rossman92 said:

Well I can certainly say my first full season as a Charlton supporter was exciting to say the least. With a busy off-season imminent, I can't help but be even more excited for the summer, even if it means I say goodbye to football for a few months. Hopefully the likes of Yoni B and Freddy sign perms for the club, would love at least one of them to stay. Have a feeling Mr. Gudmundsson will be sticking around (captain material if it wasn't for Solly) hopefully we can go out with a bang, wouldn't mind messing up Bournemouth's title bid. 19-0 sounds good to me, all for Churchinho after he comes on in the 57th minute, COYA

Where have you been?
    Have you been on holiday?
    Are you flexible enough to bury your head in the sand?
    Are you an Ostrich?
    You're either very silly or being stupid.

It's one of the two.

bye
    I'm just sitting on the bog reading this. I thought you were being very harsh even if Rossman was being a little optimistic. Then just at that point on the radio comes the dulcet tones of Mr N Pearson..........(I didn't hear it last night). What a J Atthur (Pearrson that is).
  • Best of luck with your studies. If we can be bothered to turn up we could just nick it.
    I fancy a couple of days in Bournemouth. As they are happy bunnies might blag a lift. The cheek of it!
  • Best of luck with your studies. I expect lots of goals, so will probably end up 0 -0! No, there will be lots, who will score most of them, have no idea!
  • @Rossman

You certainly chose the right UK team given you like unpredictable. Unpredictability is the only predictable thing about us!

My heart says 19-0 Charlton. My head says 3-2. We only ever score 3 and Wiggins will score the winner in front of the Cherries fans having taken dogs abuse all game.

Enjoy the summer everyone and let's hope we have the nucleus of the squad intact next season with a few nice new additions along the way.
  • Thanks for the 'previews' - entertaining, informative, always well crafted. Good wishes for the future. Always remember 'keep eating the prunes'
  • Rossman92 said:

@cafcnick1992 I've been here through it all. Not been on holiday, although that sounds nice. Wouldn't it be nice to be that flexible? Not an ostrich but I've heard they have good eggs. Not sure why your calling me stupid, presumably either for saying this season was exciting, or the 19 goal thriller for Churchy. In MY opinion I've really enjoyed this season, a fast start, a slow festive period, a winless run, a sacking, the arrival of Mr. Luzon and TWWW, a good run to keep us safe in the championship, and now despite a bit of a slow end to the season, a positive outlook for the offseason. The season has been fucking hectic, shit it was all over the place, but what about it was not exciting? I don't deny the football wasn't shite at times but the whole year was unpredictable, and that's what I enjoy about football. We're all entitled to our opinion and I'd like to be able to express mine without bullshit like this

I don't think @cafcnick1992 was really intending a dig at you Rossman.

I suspect that in his view the optimism of your post gave him an opportunity to parody this bizarre outburst after the Chelsea match by the Leicester City manager Nigel Pearson.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32527129