Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

More motoring rip off farce

After the recent change to car tax where a month is lost every time a vehicle changes hands, now it's the turn of the new company running the Dartford crossing to get in on the act. I have a local resident account which was due to expire mid June, I got an e mail three weeks ago , ie first week in April reminding me. I acted on this reminder promptly and have today renewed.

Here is the con, when you renew it doesn't take you up to end of the current expiry date and then extend it by a year, ie to then next fall due for renewal in mid June 2016, my account now falls due for renewal exactly one year from the date of renewal - on 26 April 2016, so I have lost all of May, half of June and a few days in April all because I acted promptly when receiving their very premature reminder, and no where on the reminder does it say this is what they will do.

So , a warning to others about this new con, and welcome to modern Britain, don't you just love it ?????

Comments

• After the recent change to car tax where a month is lost every time a vehicle changes hands, now it's the turn of the new company running the Dartford crossing to get in on the act. I have a local resident account which was due to expire mid June, I got an e mail three weeks ago , ie first week in April reminding me. I acted on this reminder promptly and have today renewed.

Here is the con, when you renew it doesn't take you up to end of the current expiry date and then extend it by a year, ie to then next fall due for renewal in mid June 2016, my account now falls due for renewal exactly one year from the date of renewal - on 26 April 2016, so I have lost all of May, half of June and a few days in April all because I acted promptly when receiving their very premature reminder, and no where on the reminder does it say this is what they will do.

So , a warning to others about this new con, and welcome to modern Britain, don't you just love it ?????

Write to your MP - this is a disgrace
  • That can only be described as theft - as it was not made clear to you that this would be the case, and if it was, you would have waited.
  • Is it not free for you to renew it again next year though?
  • Sounds like a system error to me - this cant be right.
  • edited May 2015
    If they don't put the above right, it is disgraceful. I agree that you should write to your MP, but have you tried phoning them to discuss it?

I will balance it with a good experience. I hadn't used the Dartford crossing since the new system came in, and I don't qualify as a local, but last week I had to go to Essex. There are clear signs saying that you've got until the end of the following day to pay the £2.50, but I forgot until 4 days later. Their website says that the charge for late payment is £35, but I phoned them and was told that it usually takes a week or so for late payments to show up on their system, and mine hadn't yet, so I could pay the £2.50 over the phone, and that would cover it.

Before I phoned, I was sure that they would stick to the penalty price, particularly as you say, so many organisations, such as DVLA are finding new ways to rip us off. So I was really pleased with their attitude. That's why I suggest that a phone call might help.
  • edited May 2015
    My brother borrowed my parents car over xmas and my mum returned from a short holiday this weekend to a fine as the crossing had been used on the 28th December and they hadn't received payment. Mum went to pay it but they said that as it was a first offence and there is confusion when returning from Essex into Kent as the barriers have been removed and the signage isn't clear - she could pay the £2.50 and that would be that. I can't believe it's taken 4 months for her to receive the fine but that does show that they are certainly having problems!
  • Whole thing is a bloody mess as expected. Can.t understand why you weren't credited up to June that cannot be right I would appeal that one.
  • Definitely appears to work. I have used it a few times with two different vehicles. My statement shows dates I used the crossing and the reg number I used for it.

The setting up of payment has been very easy
  • Been over many times and my statement records every trip
  • stonemuse said:

Been over many times and my statement records every trip

Mine too - but one January crossing didn't feature until my April statement!
  • Sponsored links:

• After the recent change to car tax where a month is lost every time a vehicle changes hands, now it's the turn of the new company running the Dartford crossing to get in on the act. I have a local resident account which was due to expire mid June, I got an e mail three weeks ago , ie first week in April reminding me. I acted on this reminder promptly and have today renewed.

That is disgraceful. If I were you, to teach them a lesson, I would refuse to use the account any more and pay the full price like the rest of us have to!