Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Holocene Epoch

just wondered how many of our esteemed Charlton Life colleagues had heard of it?

I certainly hadn't until I caught the TV show pointless tonight.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/quaternary/holocene.php

Comments

• No! It sounds like the title of an episode of The Big Bang!
  • Yep! Heard of it, and could have placed it within a million year accuracy (ie it's very recent).
  • Something to do with how long it has been since we beat the Spanners I think...
  • Is it Riviera having one of his 'turns'?
  • They're using technology to understand the disastrous effects technology is having on earth.
  • It's a yes from me! (I know a lot of useless rubbish)
  • interesting
  • I remember the plasticene period very well, but i don't know if that came before or after the holocene.
  • I remember the plasticene period very well, but i don't know if that came before or after the holocene.

After Jackanory, God I miss Morph and Tony Hart... RIP.
  • I have due to studying Geography. Otherwise I'd be as clueless as the rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• it bothers me that so much of our plant and animal population could be extinct in 25 years.

why can't we halt mans over populating the planet at such a fast rate. do something like they did in china, 1 kid per family for a couple of decades and stop exhausting the earth by take take taking all the time.
  • I have due to studying Geography. Otherwise I'd be as clueless as the rest.

Yep, me too. Although my studying was in 84/85. Biggest surprise of the Holocene Epoch is that I can actually remember my Geography A from 30 years ago! :-(
  • it bothers me that so much of our plant and animal population could be extinct in 25 years.

why can't we halt mans over populating the planet at such a fast rate. do something like they did in china, 1 kid per family for a couple of decades and stop exhausting the earth by take take taking all the time.

lol cos that worked out really well and didn't end up with babies being left out to die.
  • I did geology 'A' level and at the time could remember all the geological periods via a mnemonic. Now I can't even remember the mnemonic!
  • If you want to (do anything other than) cheer yourself up, take a look through the posts on Reddit's Overpopulation thread...

https://www.reddit.com/r/overpopulation/
  • JiMMy 85 said:

If you want to (do anything other than) cheer yourself up, take a look through the posts on Reddit's Overpopulation thread...

https://www.reddit.com/r/overpopulation/

I'm glad there are people out there truly concerned at overpopulation but the first page made me want to cry.
  • edited May 2015

it bothers me that so much of our plant and animal population could be extinct in 25 years.

lol cos that worked out really well and didn't end up with babies being left out to die.
    i was refering to the principle. the point is, we control and cull everything but not ourselves, bout time we did!