Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Darren Randolph

Set to follow in the footsteps of Robbie Elliot and Ben Hamer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32852669

Comments

• What, warming the bench at a Premiership club?
  • iaitch said:

What, warming the bench at a Premiership club?

Picking up £15-20k a week. Must be awful

• True but assume they would rather be playing?
  • iaitch said:

True but assume they would rather be playing?

Surely they'd stay at the Birmingham/Charlton's of the world in that case ?
  • West Ham apparently.
  • I noticed that Elliott wasn't even on the bench for the barcodes on Sunday
  • The thing about professional footballers is that they've all got a belief that they are/can be good enough. In many cases that self-belief is the chief characteristic that sets them apart from amateurs. If you've got that level of confidence in your own ability, going to a Prem team to fight for a place is a no brainer.
  • Sponsored links:

• Reserve premier league goalkeeper must be the best paid / least worked job in the world

Ask Bob Bolder about his European Cup winner's medal. He doesn't talk about it much
  • iaitch said:

Funny on here sometimes.

People above saying its ok go to a Premiership club, sit on the bench and pick up good wages.

Yet whenever Shaun Wright Phillips name comes up on here and its mentioned that he's happy to pick up his wages at QPR and refuse to go on loan then he's called a money grabbing bastard.

It's a completely different thing though. Leaving aside the fact that goalkeepers and outfielder players are totally different when it comes to play time, you're just assuming that Randolph is going to a Premier League club to sit on the bench. Will he? You don't even know who he's going to join yet. Players in these situations back themselves to take their chance when they get it. What if Randolph is going to Bournemouth to replace Boruc, who is on loan? Or to West Brom; Foster is out for months and Myhill isn't an obviously better keeper than Randolph. Hamer and Elliot both got Premier League games this season; Elliot's was cut short through injury and no-one seems to have any idea what went on with Hamer but they've now played at the likes of Anfield and Old Trafford in the Premier League, which is a dream for any footballer. On the other hand, Shaun Wright-Phillips refuses to get off his arse and play football even though he'd earn the same wage by going out on loan and knows for a fact he's not going to get into the team. It's not that surprising people have different reactions when the scenario is totally different really.
  • There are only 92 first team goalkeeper jobs in this country (not including the pro non league teams). Which is why I never begrudge a keeper of average ability going to a prem club to collect wages that would set him and his family up for life. It's like going off to Dubai to work for a few years and save when you're young. Not a lot of people have the chance to do that.

Stuart Taylor is an odd one though, in his 30s, spent almost his entire career as a prem keeper, but has played under 100 games. Mental.
  • Blimey wrong or write to sit on the bench isn't really the issue for me, simply amazing he has made it to that level.
  • Southampton is an interesting one too, Forster won't be back before the start of the season and Koeman has been trying out both Davis and Gazzaniga to see if they are good enough to cover.
  • Blimey wrong or write to sit on the bench isn't really the issue for me, simply amazing he has made it to that level.

You sure? Quality keeper at Championship level to have.

Is that actually your issue? Randolph was fairly decent for us bar a few mistakes (bouncing the ball off his own defenders head to name one).
  • Boooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Money grabbing so and so.

:wink:
  • iaitch said:

Funny on here sometimes.

People above saying its ok go to a Premiership club, sit on the bench and pick up good wages.

Yet whenever Shaun Wright Phillips name comes up on here and its mentioned that he's happy to pick up his wages at QPR and refuse to go on loan then he's called a money grabbing bastard.

It's a completely different thing though. Leaving aside the fact that goalkeepers and outfielder players are totally different when it comes to play time, you're just assuming that Randolph is going to a Premier League club to sit on the bench. Will he? You don't even know who he's going to join yet. Players in these situations back themselves to take their chance when they get it. What if Randolph is going to Bournemouth to replace Boruc, who is on loan? Or to West Brom; Foster is out for months and Myhill isn't an obviously better keeper than Randolph. Hamer and Elliot both got Premier League games this season; Elliot's was cut short through injury and no-one seems to have any idea what went on with Hamer but they've now played at the likes of Anfield and Old Trafford in the Premier League, which is a dream for any footballer. On the other hand, Shaun Wright-Phillips refuses to get off his arse and play football even though he'd earn the same wage by going out on loan and knows for a fact he's not going to get into the team. It's not that surprising people have different reactions when the scenario is totally different really.
    I'm not assuming anything, who knows where Randolph is going? Good luck to him wherever he pitches up.

The opening post said Randolph to follow in the footsteps of Elliot and Hamer who, in my opinion, are both bench warmers in the Premiership.

How many games have they played since they've been at Newcastle and Leicester?

• I wouldn't say back up goalkeeper is an easy job. You have to be mentally focused enough to stay at the top of your ability as you could be needed to play at any time and still be mistake free. Would imagine that is difficult as you could go a whole season waiting for a chance.
  • Sponsored links:

• West Ham apparently.

I saw that rumoured as well. Will it still be the case now Big Sam and his team have moved on?
  • iaitch said:

iaitch said:

Funny on here sometimes.

I'm not assuming anything, who knows where Randolph is going? Good luck to him wherever he pitches up.

The opening post said Randolph to follow in the footsteps of Elliot and Hamer who, in my opinion, are both bench warmers in the Premiership.

How many games have they played since they've been at Newcastle and Leicester?

Hamer - 7 appearances

Elliot - 16 appearances
  • Reserve premier league goalkeeper must be the best paid / least worked job in the world

even better than being the Duke of Edinburgh or 'Prince' Edward
  • He cause you can still be classless
  • Could you imagine the embarassment though if you get released because they dont want you as the reserve Goalkeeper... i.e. basically your being told that your too shite to even sit on a chair
  • Could you imagine the embarassment though if you get released because they dont want you as the reserve Goalkeeper... i.e. basically your being told that your too shite to even sit on a chair

What like Hendo?

Not sure that's quite what it means. I would say Henderson is better than Hamer and Elliot for sure and probably Randolph, but he's the one who got released.

• edited May 2015

Could you imagine the embarassment though if you get released because they dont want you as the reserve Goalkeeper... i.e. basically your being told that your too shite to even sit on a chair

What like Hendo?

Not sure that's quite what it means. I would say Henderson is better than Hamer and Elliot for sure and probably Randolph, but he's the one who got released.

Wasnt that only because we came in for him and West Ham decided to release him from his Contract so he could join us without messing round with Transfer Fees

Get what your trying to say though, as well Hendo never even seemed the benchwarmer, he was the third choice you always see out on loan
  • iaitch said:

Funny on here sometimes.

There is also another category which is those who will slag off anything an ex-Charlton player has done, especially if they are playing a notch or two above where we are.
  • Signed for West Ham.