Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Is it a good addition? All for equality but struggling to see the point - existing players won't play more than a handful of games as a novelty and I can't imagine this addition will increase sales much
  • jams said:

Is it a good addition? All for equality but struggling to see the point - existing players won't play more than a handful of games as a novelty and I can't imagine this addition will increase sales much

I'm not sure the point is to sell more, it's to promote women's football to those who would never be interested otherwise, and possibly it may captive a female audience (although admitedly a small increase)
  • 52% of gamers are female and women's soccer is big and getting bigger in the US so it's catering to an audience that it hasn't engaged with before. If Sepp gets his way imagine how tight the shorts will be though
  • Also, why not? Not many people use league 2 teams or some of the other teams on there
  • 52% of gamers are female and women's soccer is big and getting bigger in the US so it's catering to an audience that it hasn't engaged with before. If Sepp gets his way imagine how tight the shorts will be though

52%?
    Is that figure correct Garry? If so, I'm very surprised by that.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but it instinctively feels like there would be more male gamers than female.
    I know it's only one person's experience, but I honestly don't think I can think of more than one or two female friends who are gamers. (To my knowledge). I know plenty of male gamers though.

52%?
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but it instinctively feels like there would be more male gamers than female.
    I know it's only one person's experience, but I honestly don't think I can think of more than one or two female friends who are gamers. (To my knowledge). I know plenty of male gamers though.
    5.2% *
  • That is a surprising stat, I literally don't know one female that's ever played FIFA that's for sure.
  • Sponsored links:

• They also have the Saudi Arabian and Korean leagues on there, which I'm sure very rarely get used. But again, its done to target markets that bring in sales.

52%?
    The Guardian says 52% of gamers are female.

Washington Post says 48% are women

Not a gamer myself but would have thought most gamers are in Asia. Read an interesting article on gaming and race during the week (among other things, white males assume gamers they meet online are white males too), similar would apply re gender

Can the female teams play against male teams in the game?
  • Difficult in terms or assigning ratings.. its all relative but with women it it relative to other women so a top player would get a rating of 80 or is it relative to the men where she may be a 50 or less....
    will be interesting to see how they do it!
  • IA said:

52% of gamers are female and women's soccer is big and getting bigger in the US so it's catering to an audience that it hasn't engaged with before. If Sepp gets his way imagine how tight the shorts will be though

52%?
    The Guardian says 52% of gamers are female.

Washington Post says 48% are women

Not a gamer myself but would have thought most gamers are in Asia. Read an interesting article on gaming and race during the week (among other things, white males assume gamers they meet online are white males too), similar would apply re gender

Can the female teams play against male teams in the game?
    You may have a point about Asian gamers. Maybe gaming is more of a unisex (or even female dominated?) activity in Asia, because I'd certainly say that in the west it's considered a male diversion.

The other thing I wondered was what sort of gaming these figures take into account. If 'gaming' includes phone and tablet games (candy crush etc) then The 52% figure is less surprising. Still surprising, but not so much. If it's consoles and pc gaming only, (which is what my immediate assumption was) then I'm still astounded.

You make a fair point about assumptions too. I'm aware that I've made some assumptions here! :blush:
  • What has the world come to? ;-)

It's nothing more than a marketing ploy to try and sell more games and reel in potential female gamers.

It has very little, if anything, to do with wanting to be market leaders and/or equality visionaries in their marketplace.
  • jams said:

Is it a good addition? All for equality but struggling to see the point - existing players won't play more than a handful of games as a novelty and I can't imagine this addition will increase sales much

51% of the world's population finally have teams representing their sex and you can't see it increasing sales?

It's nothing more than a marketing ploy to try and sell more games and reel in potential female gamers.

It has very little, if anything, to do with wanting to be market leaders and/or equality visionaries in their marketplace.

A company that sells things wants to try to sell more? I'm flabbergasted! Next, you'll be telling me that people who buy things want to pay as little as possible.
  • The whole point of FIFA is that it has to improve every year to a small degree, so this seems a good addition. I don't understand why they haven't fixed the issue with keeper kits often being the same colour as opposing teams. Surely this wouldn't be too difficult to do.
  • Sponsored links:

A company that sells things wants to try to sell more? I'm flabbergasted! Next, you'll be telling me that people who buy things want to pay as little as possible.
    Sorry, I should have been more specific so as to rule out any pointless, sarcastic answers.

Female gamers, on the whole, don't play football/soccer games. Those that do will still continue to play with the established male game/players as they are more desirable (for reasons given below).

I don't know how much you know about FIFA and it's game modes these days but a lot of it is centred around spending money online to open packs with players in them to build an 'Ultimate Team'. Other than for purely novelty purposes, most gamers wont be interested in acquiring female players as they wouldn't command a sell on fee that would see the gamer claw back some of the money they've spent.

There are a few big female gamers that play FIFA on YouTube channels but I can't see the inclusion of female players increasing sales to female gamers.

Sorry, I should have been more specific so as to rule out any pointless, sarcastic answers.

Female gamers, on the whole, don't play football/soccer games. Those that do will still continue to play with the established male game/players as they are more desirable (for reasons given below).

I don't know how much you know about FIFA and it's game modes these days but a lot of it is centred around spending money online to open packs with players in them to build an 'Ultimate Team'. Other than for purely novelty purposes, most gamers wont be interested in acquiring female players as they wouldn't command a sell on fee that would see the gamer claw back some of the money they've spent.

There are a few big female gamers that play FIFA on YouTube channels but I can't see the inclusion of female players increasing sales to female gamers.

Your argument seems to be"women don't play football games so let's not try to appeal to women". I'd hazard a guess that the makers of the game have done a bit of research and seen that there's a market waiting to be exploited. Sales figures will tell if that's true or not.

By the way, my comment was neither pointless nor an answer. I readily admit it was sarcastic but the point of my comment was that your initial post fully warranted such.

Your argument seems to be"women don't play football games so let's not try to appeal to women". I'd hazard a guess that the makers of the game have done a bit of research and seen that there's a market waiting to be exploited. Sales figures will tell if that's true or not.
    By that logic Barbie should announce that it is going to try and appeal to the male market seeing as boys play with action figures :neutral:

• Can you play Men v Women on the game then? "Ref, she's all over me!"
  • Can you play Men v Women on the game then? "Ref, she's all over me!"

Modest as ever H!
  • edited May 2015

The whole point of FIFA is that it has to improve every year to a small degree, so this seems a good addition. I don't understand why they haven't fixed the issue with keeper kits often being the same colour as opposing teams. Surely this wouldn't be too difficult to do.

Keepers kits don't bother me to much my big issue is the poor refs who give the computer everything and you nothing, surely that is easy to fix o