Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Girona

Not a network club, but Girona are playing at home to Lugo in the Spanish second división final match, and win (or any score identical to that of their nearest rivals, Sporting Gijon) will send them up into La Liga for the first time in their history. As a Charlton fan, I can't possibly identify with the likes of Barcelona, and last night, I had to put up with them driving round and round, car horns hooting, till the early hours as they won some tinpot Champions League trophy. But Girona...... I went there last season with Deportivo. They have a ground that holds around 11,000, set in the rolling hills outside the city, and no relevant trophies in the cabinet, so I am fully behind them this afternoon, as a decent 'away' game for Depor next season. Plus the Girona-Éibar match next season will set the pulses racing around Europe.
Endavant Girona!

Comments

• Options
    Soft spot for Girona as had a nice little tour of the ground when I was in the city this year. Went to have a look at it and it was open so I had a wander around inside.

Hoping they get the result they need today and following it online while watching Leganes v Zaragoza on TV.
  • Options
    fantastic - Girona would be a great 'away game'
  • Options
    Yep, I'm watching leganes v Zaragoza. C'mon leganes. Zaragoza's fans are among the most lunatic I've ever met. Nice town but when their team play football, they all seem to collectively lose it.
  • Options
    90th minute equaliser cost them automatic promotion. Into the play-offs. Went there for a pre-season friendly against espanyol a couple of years ago
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Yep. The usual squabbling over here afterwards. 'Lugo seemed overmotivated for a team that had nothing to play for', and 'Betis rolled over and died' at home against Sporting', but sadly, from the reports I read, the spirit of Bob Peeters hung over Girona like a cloud. They spent the entire second half sat back defending, and eventually paid a high price. Gutted for them, but they knew they had to win, and 1-0 is always a dodgy result to defend.
  • Options
    Just to finish this thread off, Girona's play off hopes went the same way as their dreams of direct promotion. They beat Zaragoza 3-0 away on wednesday in the play off semi first leg, and seemed all set up for a final with Las Palmas. By half time today however, they were already 3-0 down at home (which still would have seen them through by reason of finishing higher in the season) and Zaragoza put in a fourth. Girona nicked one five minutes later, and the final few minutes could have seen a hatfull more, but Zaragoza are through on away goals, and Girona get another season in the second tier.