Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Recommend a Podcast

Off for a few days and decided I'm going to break my podcast virginity.

So thought it would be good to have an ongoing thread for people to recommend current or historic podcasts worth a listen.

If not obvious, give a bit of blurb what's it about, genre etc

Comments

• edited June 2015
    From Radio 4:

The Infinite Monkey Cage - Comedy and science some great episodes

Germany: Memories of a nation - Quite serious but so few of us know the history of Germany before the 20th century.
  • Without a doubt scroobius pip's distraction pieces podcast. Download loads of the old ones particularly Paddy Considine.

I love George Lamb show but it's an acquired taste .

Danny Baker always good as is Hawksbee and Jacobs clips of the week from talksport , very short but very funny.
  • H&J clips of the week from Talksport is a good one
  • This American life. Amazing radio show that I came accross when I was travelling around the states. They have an app and you can go back and listen to their entire library I believe. They basically tell factual stories too personal and small for any news station or newspaper. And sometimes they do things like hang out at a service station and just listen to people's life stories who are passing through there. Couldn't recommend enough. Storytelling at it's best.
  • Hardcore history. I've just finished learning all about genghis khan. Dan Carlin has an amazing way of getting you immersed in history
  • All back no front
  • Downloaded a few of these, will see how we go. Cheers
  • The Minister of Chance is a brilliant, high production value, podcast serial, described as an epic, award-winning, sci-fi fantasy audio movie. There is a spectacularly good cast: Jenny Agutter, Jed Brophy, Lauren Crace, Paul Darrow, Philip Glenister, Tamsin Greig, Peter Guinness, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann.

There is a teaser/trailer here Minister of Chance Trailer. I highly recommend it. You should download and listen to at least the first, short episode. If you're not hooked by then - and I think you will be - you needn't continue.

More details about it here: http://www.radiostatic.co.uk/#!the-minister-of-chance/c19rx

Lifers might also like to know that the next podcast Clare Eden (the Exec Producer) is creating will include Charlton fan Sophie Aldred.
  • The Football Ramble - 4 blokes chatting about what's happened in the game in the last week whilst having a laugh.

I haven't missed an episode in 5 years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Th football Ramble is great, so is the Guardian Football weekly, unfortunately for you AFKA they are both just shutting down for the close season. I'm a big fan of The Bugle too - trans-Atlantic political satire from John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman.
  • Th football Ramble is great, so is the Guardian Football weekly, unfortunately for you AFKA they are both just shutting down for the close season. I'm a big fan of The Bugle too - trans-Atlantic political satire from John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman.

All three of those are great, the World Football Phone In from the BBC is my favourite football podcast, not as light as the Ramble but not as hipster-ish as the Guardian. Hosted by a Charlton fan too. That being said the last show mainly covered the women's World Cup, so, you know...
  • Danny Baker. Mark Kermode. Richard Herring (for the guests more than him. He's likeable but not particularly witty). Also, TED Talks offer a lot of variety.
  • the two mikes on talksport comedy gold
  • John Robins Elis James, XFM.

Serial. Obviously.
  • This American Life
    The Mortified Podcast
    Answer me This!
    Freakonomics
    Guardian Football Weekly
    You Look Nice Today
  • edited June 2015
    Rothko said:

You Look Nice Today

Thank you very much.
  • edited June 2015
    Angelos and Barry Show
  • edited June 2015
    Most have been mentioned already so I won't bother describing all, but:

The Football Ramble - brilliant, my favorite podcast
    Guardian Football Weekly - can't go wrong with James Richardson & Barry Glendenning
    This American Life - can be a little hit & miss (the most recent one was dreadful in my opinion), but worth trying to see if it's your cup of tea
    Serial - fascinating
    Criminal - random but interesting stories covering all sorts of subjects, bit of a cross between Serial and This American Life

...are all regulars on my download list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:

You Look Nice Today

Thank you very much.
    You will when you listen to it
  • Most of mine have been mentioned but this
    rina said:

Hardcore history. I've just finished learning all about genghis khan. Dan Carlin has an amazing way of getting you immersed in history

is absolutely one of the best podcasts around. I don't always agree with Carlin and the word quote will get on your nerves after 10 minutes but his knowledge is ridiculous and he has such enthusiasm for his subjects it's hard not to be completely engrosssed even if some episodes are 3 hours long.

Joe Rogan can be good as well, completely depends on who his guest is but some have been very informative and some very funny. Avoid most of the UFC ones unless you like that sort of thing.
  • se9addick said:

Th football Ramble is great, so is the Guardian Football weekly, unfortunately for you AFKA they are both just shutting down for the close season. I'm a big fan of The Bugle too - trans-Atlantic political satire from John Oliver and Andy Zaltzman.

All three of those are great, the World Football Phone In from the BBC is my favourite football podcast, not as light as the Ramble but not as hipster-ish as the Guardian. Hosted by a Charlton fan too. That being said the last show mainly covered the women's World Cup, so, you know...
    World Football Phone-In is brilliant. Tim Vickery is my favorite Football pundit of all - the guy's knowledge of South American football and the global game is exceptional, and he is so engaging to listen to.

I listened to the Guardian Football Weekly about 5 years ago and had to stop after 4-5 months as it was just so far up its own arse. Can't doubt the knowledge of those who are on it, but they come across as so smug and typically Guardian in their hipster manner.
  • colthe3rd said:

Most of mine have been mentioned but this

rina said:

Hardcore history. I've just finished learning all about genghis khan. Dan Carlin has an amazing way of getting you immersed in history

and the word quote will get on your nerves after 10 minutes
    Haha, so true
  • Fighting Talk (BBC)
    Friday Night Comedy (BBC)
    Danny Baker (BBC)
    Real Time with Bill Maher (very US-centric but funny/cutting political satire)
    Sunday Supplement (during football season)
    Cricket Writers on TV (during cricket season)
    The Warm-Up - Talksport (only if you disagree with the slating of Johnny Vaughan on the other thread)
  • JiMMy 85 said:

Danny Baker. Mark Kermode. Richard Herring (for the guests more than him. He's likeable but not particularly witty). Also, TED Talks offer a lot of variety.

RHLSCP! Richard Herring is probably the most prolific podcaster out there. He can be a bit hit and miss but his Leicester and Edinburgh podcasts where he interviews another comedy or celebrity are usually very good. Some of his stand-up is not bad either but that's not really go anything to do with podcasts.

• colthe3rd said:

Most of mine have been mentioned but this

rina said:

is absolutely one of the best podcasts around. I don't always agree with Carlin and the word quote will get on your nerves after 10 minutes but his knowledge is ridiculous and he has such enthusiasm for his subjects it's hard not to be completely engrosssed even if some episodes are 3 hours long.

Joe Rogan can be good as well, completely depends on who his guest is but some have been very informative and some very funny. Avoid most of the UFC ones unless you like that sort of thing.

Love the joe rogan ones, Louis Theroux and prof Brian cox were good on it.
  • Dartford Comedian Chris Dangerfield.

http://dangersp.libsyn.com/
  • Film Sack.