Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Boot Fairs

Does anyone on here sell at boot fairs? Thinking about doing one on Sunday at Birchwood Arena on Sunday?
Anyone ever been there? Any good?

Comments

• Does anyone on here sell at boot fairs? Thinking about doing one on Sunday at Birchwood Arena on Sunday?
    Anyone ever been there? Any good?

If that is the one down the A20, it is massive. If you don't get there stupid early (4am) your pitch will be miles away. People wander through the dealers and big stalls then get bored and bugger off. You'll be left with people who haggle over 20p or want to pay £5.00 for your Xbox One! As a seller I always made more money at Flamingo Park, but am not sure if it is still running or a decent size.
  • Al, Birchwood is good, not too small and not full of Market traders. my Boot sale of choice tbh.

Id get there for about 6am

Pedham Massive, just ridiculous getting and out of. Flamingo park is ok but a ballache getting in and out.

Go with Birchwood, think its their first one this weekend so normally half price for sellers.

Watch your stuff as your unloading at any bootsale, people will distract you and nick stuff as your unloading.

I normally tell them to literally fck off as they will looking in your car whilst your getting boxes out.

• Cheers Clem!
    Yeah that's the one mate, first one this year at Birchwood only £5 for sellers!
    Done Flamingo park last week and your right got some decent coin in! £35 for Alfie's old Xbox 360!
  • Cheers Clem!
    Yeah that's the one mate, first one this year at Birchwood only £5 for sellers!
    Done Flamingo park last week and your right got some decent coin in! £35 for Alfie's old Xbox 360!

Think I might be getting Birchwood mixed up with Pedham Place.

Looking at the locations on the map, I think Pedham is further down the A20.

Don't think I've ever been to Birchwood.
  • Yep think you are mate, pedham is huge full of market traders.

Avoid Honeydale farm one at all costs, fckin uselss.
  • Cheers A

Yeah had the same last weekend, we had only just got out the car before we were being swamped but asked them nicely to step away in my freindly way ;-) they got the hint!

Not sure I can get there that early A what is the cut of point for sellers?

Cheers pal
  • youll be fine up until 8/9am I reckon, probably better and miss all the rush. Buyers still arrive up to past midday there. Im working til 10am Sunday otherwise I may have popped down, may still do if we get finished early, My little fellas loves them.

Be good to catch up; Don't think you've seen my little fella, hes 3 and half now!!
  • Did flamingo park about 2 months ago. Arrived 7am and was in first row. Cleared over £100 so was happy. Pain getting out as A20 solid but hey ho. If i did another would prob go back there. As they say, one man's trash is another one's treasure!
  • Did one years ago. People literally running alongside the car trying to peer into the window whilst I was still driving across the field into the plot and then they hassle you as you unpack. If those people want any of your stuff ask for a very high price. The later the hour, the nicer the people.
  • Sponsored links:

• I have done several Bootfair's at various sites, started in 1985 At Nepicar Farm, nice bunch of sellers and buyers. Sold some of the gear far too cheaply, but then it would have ended up in the atttic or garage. First rule these days do not take along any thing that can be sold of on ebay or Gumtree. Obviously old Vinyl records, are now sought after, as quite a few dealers go there, but cd's and DVD's you get little on. If you sell clothe's take a rail, or a clothe's stand, on a hanger . People will assume that designer label are fake, Electrical item's do not work!, Books tend to be a poor seller, 20p for a paperback?. I do not take gold/silver, ( take to a registered pawn broker, they buy on weight only). As I mentioned for larger items on Gumtree, buyer collects, and free listing's. I have sold old 'tools', old carpets, and cracked plate's, odd cups and saucers, and broken costume watches, :lot of collectors want the parts. I call it 'toot and tat'....... but avoid taking along old sentimental items, Paintings, not prints take to Greenwich auction 's. Personally I do not rate Flamingo park( too many market traders there). When I pull up, do not put out anything out that can be easily 'pocketed', and take a few minutes to get organised. Anyone, going through your stuff, just say sorry I would prefer you do not do that, and close the boot. I have had to tell a few people to go away, or words very similar.They will soon walk away. Most are dealers, and other stall holders trying to offer you 20 pence for an item they will sell for a lot more. After the first half an hour, the buyers turn up, and everyone likes a haggle, so best to 'haggle'. Do not expect a lot, it can be fun, and also frustrating, when you say '20p' and they put it down..... Good luck.
  • Thanks for your thoughts on this subject, guys.

Here at Fanackapan Towers, we're making inroads into 34 years of hoarding, mindful of our move ( fingers crossed) to Wadhurst in September. Would you believe that the house we are buying is on the site of a now demolished pub called The Rock Robin !!!!

The Refuse Tip on Dartford Heath is groaning under the weight of several car loads of tat, whilst the garden shed & garage are both a work in process.

But inevitably, we'll have enough half decent unwanted items to warrant a Sunday morning at Birchwood in the next couple of months.

So, one question whilst we make our plans....

Do you recommend pricing up individual items these days ?

• Done a cple. People will be going through ur gear before it's even out of ur transport. Vinyl , sports books go well. Clothes (labels) also. Glass don't move.

Here at Fanackapan Towers, we're making inroads into 34 years of hoarding, mindful of our move ( fingers crossed) to Wadhurst in September. Would you believe that the house we are buying is on the site of a now demolished pub called The Rock Robin !!!!

The Refuse Tip on Dartford Heath is groaning under the weight of several car loads of tat, whilst the garden shed & garage are both a work in process.

But inevitably, we'll have enough half decent unwanted items to warrant a Sunday morning at Birchwood in the next couple of months.

Nice are to live I work down the road in Ticehurst

For what its worth, imo, you should price the main items that you think should be worth something. You can always come down or offer two for one, but leave some bits for people to ask how much do you want, then you can play it by ear, if its early ask for more than if its later on and you want rid of it! You could take a sign saying everything must go, and ask so much an item and display it late in day if you just want to get things out of your life. Expect people to haggle even over tiny amounts though as they always do!

• Had a dream last night I collared Terry Naylor in the pub and gave him the full run down of all the boot sales in the area. Bored him senseless.

Strange dream
  • Boot fairs are where you might buy the worst pair of shoes you ever owned. I suppose it’s one of those general things that annoy you. I tried to go a boot fair at Royal Ascot to buy a snake, but it was a case of site not found. I was new to the site and people wanted to know where I lived. Still I bought a female snake. Someone asked “Girona”. I said I did own her.
  • Boot fairs are where you might buy the worst pair of shoes you ever owned. I suppose it’s one of those general things that annoy you. I tried to go a boot fair at Royal Ascot to buy a snake, but it was a case of site not found. I was new to the site and people wanted to know where I lived. Still I bought a female snake. Someone asked “Girona”. I said I did own her.

Busy today mate?
  • Went to (also helped out at) a McMillan fundraiser fete/jumble sale on Saturday .. I came away the proud owner of a mini sewing kit, two small bongo drums, a woolly reindeer, two home made pots and a Four Tops CD .. I have little use for few of these treasures other than the 4Tops music to which I can happily bang along to on my newly acquired bongos ..
  • Sunday wasn't good due to the weather only made about £50 compared to last week at Flamingo £150 (it's all on the weather!)

AFKA Zzzzzz lol
  • Sponsored links: