Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Part-time jobs when younger

What did you do ?

I worked in a newsagents after school down Pickford Lane, Bexleyheath, and went round the houses collecting for Welling United's weekly draw.

Perfect, as it always left weekends free....

Comments

• Do you remember those girl magazines like Jackie etc well I used to do those "photo stories" where they had 3 page spread of a storyline and still photo's and speech bubbles.

Well that was my part time job.

And a bloody good earner as well - £15 an hour in 1983/4/5/6 was a lot of bloody money

I can hear you all laughing - I don't care.
  • I delivered the Greenwich Advertiser - about 5 quid for every 1000. Slave bloody labour.

Newshopper was the one to get on cos that paid reasonably well.
  • i did the Mercury as well. 200 for £4, though part of it was the small blocks of flats just off Brampton Rd, so about 70 were done in 5 mins.

Also had a little spell as a clay pidgeon puller !!

Arf, did you have to think of the text for the speech bubbles, or were you a model ???
  • pot man in the new eltham ciu club to get me venue spending money when i was 16.

river island in the glades

kwik save in eltham

can't compete with arf......
  • Stacked shelves at a small 'Corner shop' at weekends & delivered groceries to local customers houses. Plus did a morning paperound until I was nearly 17 as really enjoyed it the exercise & reading the papers early in the morning.
  • I used to work in benetton in the glades in bromley. 11-5 every sunday and £35 cash in hand. nice. that was me sorted for the week.
  • never did a job till i left skool at 16 then i got a job straight away and been workin ever since.
  • Part time jobs:

Delievered papers for Browns off Pickford lane.

Worked with my uncle in Romford market. (larv it)

Delivered the express in Abbeywood.

And now working in Woolworths in Bexleyheath.

And I'm still only 16!

AFKA you must have lived near me?
  • i know the people who own the top quality fish bar in pickford lane, used to get extra chips when we went in there after school. our mate from that family wasn't allowed out cos of her religion and strictness, but we were allowed to go there. nice family tho, so friendly.
  • Bexleyheath Red - When were you delivering for Browns?
  • Sponsored links:

• Suzie - That is a top chippy. The family who run it are very friendly.
  • i dont think anyone can compete with arfurs... have you still got them??

think the first was the seafood stall in woolwich market when about 13. used to get he 96 home stinking of kippers...
    then three different jobs on erith market clothes stalls.
    then woolworths in erith... nice.

then the best one was working in the Carousel in bexleyheath during one full summer before starting college. the manageress had a drink problem and would send me down at 11am for her two cans of barley wine to start the day... it got messier as the day went on. she would always end up underneath the counter with the bloke that fixed the machines by the end of the day. always an interesting day...
  • Was delivering for Browns for about a year and a half.

About 2/3 years ago.

Suzi i'm sorry but them chips are not nice.

Brampton fish bar is the place to go.
  • [cite]Posted By: Curb_It[/cite]i dont think anyone can compete with arfurs... have you still got them??

think the first was the seafood stall in woolwich market when about 13. used to get he 96 home stinking of kippers...
    then three different jobs on erith market clothes stalls.
    then woolworths in erith... nice.

then the best one was working in the Carousel in bexleyheath during one full summer before starting college. the manageress had a drink problem and would send me down at 11am for her two cans of barley wine to start the day... it got messier as the day went on. she would always end up underneath the counter with the bloke that fixed the machines by the end of the day. always an interesting day...

Curb it i used to work next door but one to the carosel in Welling, in about 96 this was! Was the boss woman alki at Bex e eef called barbara?
  • hmmmmm im trying to remember her name, why cant i remember. i was there in 85 tho so perhaps not.
  • Homebase Crayford
    God I looked good in those green dungarees ;-)
  • My current paper boy from Brown's wears a Millwall top and CAFC scarf - all very strange!
  • No all the speech stuff was done we just did the photos so yeah model if ya like.

Curb It I do have one of the mags I was in my mother has the others somewhere.
  • Brown's was where i worked.

Dan's family have run that chippy for donkeys years now. The son's love a motor !

Remember when the Bottle Stop first opened, it was run by Paul Haverson, who was a QPR coach, and Welling's centre mid Phil Handford used to work in there.

THen the bloke who run Threshers was poached ! All happens down Pickford Lane !

Is Lee's still down there ? Had my hair cut there for over 25 years....
  • Not far away - I am up near Glengall.
  • Sponsored links:

• I worked in the plant shop (no it wasnt a florist!) in Blackheath that is now Zero Degrees. £25 every Sat.....
  • I worked one summer in Pork Farms, Nottingham - horrible, and not just the accents!

I had one role in the main factory (yuk) and one in the despatch area - which were separate, so I could skive and sit in the sun for a while every now and then. Another good bit was in the despatch area, writing the destination names on the first box of a batch - Birmingham, Bradford, Bristol etc. .... I had a friend loading the lorries so now and then I would make up a destination and get to hear how the lorry drivers moan about "I'm not going to bloody Bangladesh".

Well I was a student!
  • Yeah alway's been a regualar at Lee's.

Vel's is too busy.
  • Worked at Faversham cemetry Saturday mornings tidying rubbish, cutting grass, squaring out the graves after the digger had done the top part (nice). Well paid though and good tips.
  • First job - 16 working in an industrial estate just over the road from the Valley (Thames Flood Barrier Estate or something).

Worked at a petrol station Sat AM shift 7AM-2PM.

Postman at xmas/summer when I was a student - walked around 5 miles a day, great to get fit.

Painting/decorating/gardening jobs to pay my way through Uni.
  • Did the paper round and working in a newsagents thing.

Also helped my dad on Saturdays on his milk round in Sidcup.

I Sold carpet cleaning door to door when I was doing my A' levels.
    shortly followed by emptying bog roll from lorries and then putting it back on different lorries five minutes later.
  • Office Junior Greenwich Council Borough Treasurers Dept

General Labourer Lovell's Wharf

Liaison Officer and Activities Organiser for language school

Just a few that come to mind.
  • Worked as a skate marshall at Gillingham Ice Bowl...

Perfect job... got paid to skate around helping all the girls who had fallen over.... ahh the good old days
  • I sold houses one summer in West Kingsdown, by selling it meant sitting in a show house all day on a newly built estate showing people around if they were interested.

The hours used to fly by...
  • Done several jobs really all for crap money and slave labour

Started Burtons Menswear - alwful £4.20ph

Menkind - shop in bromley run by a big ginger bloke, I never knew he was gay until i made a gay joke.. bye bye to that job! £4.50

Sainsburys - was a laugh cos when someone says can you have a look out the back, you never did!! £4.33

JJB - NEVER SHOP IN THE ELTHAM ONE. They don't deserve your money, fit manager though! £4.75