Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chris Squire RIP

Surprised no one has started a thread, though it may have been announced after most people people in the UK are in bed.

Chris Squire dead from leukaemia aged 67.

Probably the best bass player of the prog rock genre really helping to produce the sound that made Yes a unique band. Only saw them live once at the disastrous Tales Of The Topographic Oceans tour so didn't see Chris Squire and the rest at their best. Will give Fragile and/or The Yes Album an airing later.

RIP

Comments

• RIP .. another victim of a very pernicious strain of cancer
  • I picked up on Yes very early on - I loved their first two albums (Yes and Time and a word) that never really happened here. The Yes Album took it to a new level, then Fragile and Close to the Edge - a near religious experience for me. (Oh to be young again). Saw them live a couple of times, first with Tony Kaye on keyboards and then with Rick Wakeman.

I listened to the albums over and over and over again. I’d invariably pick up on something new each time I listened, from the complex harmonies and rhythms. I often concentrated on Chris Squire’s bass lines which were/are phenomenal.

RIP Chris Squires
  • RIP. Just picked up the sad news.
  • Andy Fraser & Chris Squire, now two of the very best bass players of that golden era of British rock, sadly departed in the past year.

• Very sad to hear the news.....Only saw Yes once, at the Crystal palace Bowl....... ( of course I went to see Rory Gallagher) Think they premiered Close to the Edge......
    Chris was a very underrated bass player, very accomplished. He also has a very witty story about meeting Hendrix, at the Marquee.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo-lBnTc3So
  • Just picked this up. Yes were one of my favourite bands back in the day. RIP Chris Squire.
  • I saw them twice, once at Lewisham Odeon (awful concert with the bloke out of the Buggles) and at Wembley on the Union tour, which had all the past members of the band all playing together (minus that bloke out of the Buggles). The second concert was fantastic.
  • I saw them twice, once at Lewisham Odeon (awful concert with the bloke out of the Buggles) and at Wembley on the Union tour, which had all the past members of the band all playing together (minus that bloke out of the Buggles). The second concert was fantastic.

Trevor Horn.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes were one of my favourite bands. Even now I listen to those three early 70s albums - they stand up really well to the test of time. RIP Chris - one of my heroes.
  • Saw Yes a couple of times, one was 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' show at Wembley arena which was crap, and once at Loftus Road.
    However I like yes generally, and Chris squire was a wizard bass player particularly for a rich tonal quality.
    One apocryphal story I once heard was (pre all this technology) that he took two days of studio time to record four notes.
    Anyway he was able to deliver on stage, and another sad loss.
  • edited June 2015
    seth plum said:

Saw Yes a couple of times, one was 'The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway' show at Wembley arena which was crap, and once at Loftus Road.
    However I like yes generally, and Chris squire was a wizard bass player particularly for a rich tonal quality.
    One apocryphal story I once heard was (pre all this technology) that he took two days of studio time to record four notes.
    Anyway he was able to deliver on stage, and another sad loss.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway was Genesis not Yes Seth!! Yes were my favourite band growing up and Roundabout was my favourite track. RIP Chris Squire, a real legend.
  • I am an idiot, of course it was genesis.