Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Southeastern train disruption (franchise to be taken over by Govt p191)

Comments

• DanDavis said:

You could always chuck this one in for a bit of fun....and this did actually happen a few weeks ago at London Bridge during some delays.

Announce that the much delayed (insert destination) train is leaving from platform 4..watch as people race over to platform 4 then announce that this is an error as platform 4 is closed,tell them to go back to platforms 1 & 2 as the train is pulling out.

Then hide.

You could make this number 9.

9. At no time let the signallers communicate with the platform staff.

(This could run)
    10. Hire previous members of the Gestapo to act as revenue inspectors. Rather than target yoofs who will obviously bunk the train at the weekend instruct said revenue inspectors to target unsuspecting rush hour commuters who have made the beyond evil mistake of leaving their annual gold card (valued at around £3k) at home. Ensure that they view the scum of the earth commuters with disdain whilst making them grovel to try and get off paying the penalty fare (or twice the single fare...whatever is the greater).

Why do they make them walk around in those fucking uniforms. Makes them look like utter twats.
  • This thread keeps getting better and better. The highlight for me was Largo's rule no5 about incorrect automated announcements about next destinations and confused tourists. Confused Japanese trying to get to Leeds Castle but being told they are now approaching Barnehurst.

Interestingly the Metro said yesterday that on Wednesday Southeastern actually had the heating on on their trains. The hottest day of the decade and south Eastern doing their bit to help the people of Kent and South east London swelter
  • DanDavis said:

You could always chuck this one in for a bit of fun....and this did actually happen a few weeks ago at London Bridge during some delays.

Announce that the much delayed (insert destination) train is leaving from platform 4..watch as people race over to platform 4 then announce that this is an error as platform 4 is closed,tell them to go back to platforms 1 & 2 as the train is pulling out.

Then hide.

You could make this number 9.

9. At no time let the signallers communicate with the platform staff.

(This could run)
    10. Hire previous members of the Gestapo to act as revenue inspectors. Rather than target yoofs who will obviously bunk the train at the weekend instruct said revenue inspectors to target unsuspecting rush hour commuters who have made the beyond evil mistake of leaving their annual gold card (valued at around £3k) at home. Ensure that they view the scum of the earth commuters with disdain whilst making them grovel to try and get off paying the penalty fare (or twice the single fare...whatever is the greater).

if you buy anything from a weekly upwards you are allowed one free pass a year, they can call, check your name and see that you buy a ticket.

I had it once on the way home and the guy called and said that i'd get a free pass if it proved I had a ticket

on his phone "and his monthly ran out yesterday?, ok thanks"

to me "that's fine mate, the records show that you buy a ticket every month2

he explained that you can get away with it for that journey, once a year.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I'm going to take a slight detour here (like a Sidcup train being diverted down the Bexleyheath line!)

My commute home takes me to Lewisham and then on to Petts Wood.

The below is now common place at Lewisham from 5pm onwards...

Yes, thats 3 South Eastern staff wearing hi-vis, taking turns to read the information off the electronic timetable board, instructing people to allow people off the train first before getting on and to stay behind the yellow line...and a manager looking on.

Every night, I stand there waiting 12-13 minutes for a train and get more and more wound up just looking at them and listening to their pointless announcements.

God knows how much they are being paid...and I dread to think how much their new wireless tannoys have cost. I dont think I've ever seen such a waste of money (excluding the likes of Rebrov and Soldado of course!)

And yes, I was sad enough to take a photo.

Ah, a class 376. At least you got the detail right JB :-)

• edited July 2015
    Drivers get £48,000 a year approx. Platform about £22,000 ish
  • 48k a year?

I'm in the wrong game
  • edited July 2015

• ChiAddick said:

http://www.aslef.org.uk/information/102222/102225/102390/south_eastern/

Take into account the pay rises and London weighting.

Don't forget the free travel.
  • Sponsored links:

• ChiAddick said:

Drivers get £48,000 a year approx. Platform about £22,000 ish

I can promise you that platform staff do not get £22,000. They get £18,000, if that! Drivers on the High Speed Trains get a little more, somewhere around £54,000 if i recall.
  • A mate of mine went through the selection process to become a driver with South Eastern. He said it was really tough and they usually take on 15-20% of those who start the process. With aroud 7-8% of those quitting within 6-12 months of starting.

When he started as a trainee driver he was on just over £20k. It takes ages for them to let drivers out on their own and even then £40k is the maximum earned by blokes who have been there for years.

My mate hated it and jacked it in after 8 months. He did say that there was the potential to earn more as there was always a lot of overtime available. He also said that the serious earners were all freight drivers.
  • A mate of mine went through the selection process to become a driver with South Eastern. He said it was really tough and they usually take on 15-20% of those who start the process. With aroud 7-8% of those quitting within 6-12 months of starting.

When he started as a trainee driver he was on just over £20k. It takes ages for them to let drivers out on their own and even then £40k is the maximum earned by blokes who have been there for years.

My mate hated it and jacked it in after 8 months. He did say that there was the potential to earn more as there was always a lot of overtime available. He also said that the serious earners were all freight drivers.

I guess it's like most jobs. start at the bottom on a lower wage, tough it out, prove yourself and get the higher wage in time. I reckon their recruitment infrastructure would buckle if they started advertising roles at £48k pa, tons of applications I would imagine.
  • I know a southeastern driver and he loves a bit of overtime. When pissed and pushed on pay he told me he's had a bad year if he takes home less than 45k. He does the normal trains no freight.

I also know a couple of conductors and platform staff. The ticket inspectors all agree it's fair enough wage given the amount of sick they all clock up and the shifts they get.

Three of the four I know have mortgages in Gillingham, rochester and Strood so they can't be earning badly. The other will live at home forever so is pretty well off given the lack of rent-paying or other home running costs
  • I didn't think SE drivers earned that much, more round the 32k mark. Freight drivers and Virgin drivers earn over 40k I think. This being a Charlton website I'm sure someone can confirm pretty quickly.

I just been offered a train driver role at Southern - 48k once I have passed the training year
  • I didn't think SE drivers earned that much, more round the 32k mark. Freight drivers and Virgin drivers earn over 40k I think. This being a Charlton website I'm sure someone can confirm pretty quickly.

I just been offered a train driver role at Southern - 48k once I have passed the training year
    good luck - avoid this thread when you start
  • edited July 2015

cabbles said:

I didn't think SE drivers earned that much, more round the 32k mark. Freight drivers and Virgin drivers earn over 40k I think. This being a Charlton website I'm sure someone can confirm pretty quickly.

good luck - avoid this thread when you start
    Different firm - still free travel though!! I hate southeastern has much as the majority of this thread. After years of commuting - I decided that the only way to guarantee a seat was to drive the poxy thing!
    aaah yes, sorry automatically assume all is southeastern on this thread. I actually travel in with southern, touch wood not had any major complaints since the switch from southeastern
  • ChiAddick said:

http://www.aslef.org.uk/information/102222/102225/102390/south_eastern/

Take into account the pay rises and London weighting.

Don't forget the free travel.
    I wonder if they bother travelling by train.
  • When i left in 2000, i had free travel anywhere in the UK for 25 days a year, not everyday. I had free travel to and from work ( but i was lucky as I had an all stations pass due to needing to get about various stations ) and i only paid 33% for my tickets. Now days, i am lead to believe that the free travel is only on a few companies trains, so not completely free.....but well worth it still for things like footie.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think there are very few industries where some employees earn over £40k basic and are still eligible for overtime
  • How do you become a train driver?
  • IA said:

I think there are very few industries where some employees earn over £40k basic and are still eligible for overtime

Think you'd be surprised.
  • IA said:

I think there are very few industries where some employees earn over £40k basic and are still eligible for overtime

Tell ya what, if it wasnt for those doing overtime, you would have more cancelled trains, unstaffed ticket offices and platforms etc etc.
    Its far cheaper to pay staff overtime when needed than pay to train new staff.
  • How do you become a train driver?

I applied through southerns website
  • Trains not stopping at Lewisham until later this evening.

Both Southern and SouthEastern have "signal problems" on the same day as the tube strikes! F***ing unions!!
  • I give it until 5.07pm to see a response from Mr Largo about this