Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Varney (Luke) to leave in the summer?

edited March 2008 in Rumours
According to the London Shite Lite, Pardew is going to offload Varney in the summer.

Comments

• i think it's just that he's expected to be told.
  • I wouldn't believe anything in there personally.
  • He's not good enough to be a Premier League striker.

If we recouped what we paid for him then I wouldn't be devastated if he did go.

Still I think he should be given a run with a strike partner for more than 45 minutes.
  • I'll be surprised if he goes
  • I'd be gutted if he left, his workrate is exceptional. Most the rest of the squad would do very well to close players down and pressurise like he does.

He is pretty economical with his finishing too for someone who doesn't get many chances. The two goals against Palace were great finishes.
  • Given the usual accuracy of their reporting I'm just assuming they've got their Varneys mixed up.
  • [cite]Posted By: BigRedEvil[/cite]He's not good enough to be a Premier League striker.

If we recouped what we paid for him then I wouldn't be devastated if he did go.

Still I think he should be given a run with a strike partner for more than 45 minutes.

i disagree - given a run in the team he'll score goals
  • Ali,

It is a bit of a coincidence that Reg announces he is leaving in the summer and the Standard announces that Luke is due to be got rid of in the summer! The reporter probably heard through a drunken haze that Varney was leaving in the summer, fell asleep for the rest of the press conference and fleshed out the story for his editor with the wrong meat!
  • if luke stays he'll be our player of the year next season imo he just needs some good management/coaching for a while and he'll soon be a star.... scunny/norwich on loan should do the trick
  • rubbish there are others In front of him that will be out the door In the summer
  • Sponsored links:

• I like Luke, an honest worker, and i really hoped he would push on after his Palace goals.

But he hasn't given us the expected return for a £2m+ outlay.
  • Bit unfair AFKA given that he always seems to be Pardews scapegoat when something is not going right. He's been in and out more than a whores dildo
  • edited March 2008
    He always looks better out wide and coming in. Place on the wing not as a striker especially in a 4 - 5 - 1 formation.

Reminds me of Gary Nelson

so my team for tonight would be

Weaver
    Thatch Bombscare Sodje Youga
    Sinclair Semedo Ambrose Holland Varney
    Gray

ZZ on the bench give him a rest.
  • Luke's the best of the lot at the moment - crazy to sub him on Sat and would be even more crazy to offload, esp if we are still in this league.
    I think Harry Gregory may have just hit the nail on the head, though!
  • [cite]Posted By: Harry Gregory[/cite]Ali,

It is a bit of a coincidence that Reg announces he is leaving in the summer and the Standard announces that Luke is due to be got rid of in the summer! The reporter probably heard through a drunken haze that Varney was leaving in the summer, fell asleep for the rest of the press conference and fleshed out the story for his editor with the wrong meat!

As H (above) and Weegie point out, this is typical lazy hack reporting - and no doubt this particular moron has simply confused the 2 Varney's.

Anyway, we see the best out of Luke when he's given a free role, as against Palace.
    Pards said he told Varney to go out and play is if he was in the school playground.

That night he was everywhere and Palace couldn't get near him.