Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Car sale

Selling a car at the moment. Chap came around and all was good he left a deposit and then text me and said "I noticed the address on the logbook was different to where I viewed the car" obviously the car is in my name it's just registered to my other house. I told him he can come and see it there if he wants its no problem. He said no it's fine but when i come back and pay I will need to take copies of your driving licence or passport just to prove you are the person on the logbook.

I did explain to him the logbook doesn't prove ownership anyway but I am happy to show ID. But I don't feel comfortable letting someone take copies of my personal documents.

Would you long him on? He sounds like a bit of a string to me. I really don't need the money or desperate for it..

Comments

• Options
    edited July 2015
    If he is worried that there is a difference of address surely you just need to show him something with your name and the other address on it ie a utility bill or old driving licence etc etc so that it removes any doubt. Fair enough he may have a concern because everyone is told to doubt everything nowadays but I think linking the two addresses would satisfy most reasonable people.

I can understand that you are uncomfortable with letting him copy official documents, I think I would be cautious too! However if you decline hes bound to be get suspicious and wonder why. If you explained tactfully that you are happy to let him view them but not to copy them for the above reasons that may be acceptable, or write "COPY" in big letters across the copy.

A solution could be you could offer to pay, or better still go halves, on a HPI check which should resolve any doubts about theft or outstanding finance and only costs £19.99. If its good enough for the trade.........
  • Options
    If someone is going to hand over a substantial amount of money, he/she needs to know that the deal is not a scam .. you can't blame them for being cautious .. the HPI printout is a good idea, as would be letting them see your insurance documents
  • Options

Selling a car at the moment. Chap came around and all was good he left a deposit and then text me and said "I noticed the address on the logbook was different to where I viewed the car" obviously the car is in my name it's just registered to my other house. I told him he can come and see it there if he wants its no problem. He said no it's fine but when i come back and pay I will need to take copies of your driving licence or passport just to prove you are the person on the logbook.

I did explain to him the logbook doesn't prove ownership anyway but I am happy to show ID. But I don't feel comfortable letting someone take copies of my personal documents.

Would you long him on? He sounds like a bit of a string to me. I really don't need the money or desperate for it..

I'd let him come back round, park him up and keep the deposit
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    He came and took it tonight. He was happy with me just showing him my id. But then he pulls out this big red folder and removes a contract from it!! (I did say to him "whats this? this is your life?" when he pulled the folder out!!

Anyway he produces a contract of sale which is about 3 pages long...Says things like I declare I am the owner of the said vehicle and I have the title to be able to pass it on to another. I declare the vehicle is free from defects, damage,insurance claims and losses and the mileage is correct accurate and current to the best of my belief blah blah..

I thought to myself this geeza must of been on the pipe image

I had never seen anything like this before. I asked him if I could get my solicitor to give it the once over! he said oh no you just need to sign it...At this point I am thinking this bloke is a complete drip. I thought I ain't signing this old shite the cars had 5 owners before me.. So I wrote on it in a squiggle. Declined to sign!! sold as seen!! and gave it back to him...I said to him I would check that if I were you he said "na its ok" and we done the deal and he took the car.....

If he is a Charlton fan reading this then....Whatever mate read my tattoo on my profile picture and JOG ON!!
  • Options
    I hope he didn't pay by cheque. He'll stop it, when he reads what you wrote.
  • Options
    Never would I accept a cheque. Cash only...
  • Options
    Buying used cars is an absolute minefield and buyers rightly should take their time and be suspicious about sellers' lack of transparency. 'We Buy Any Car' and similar companies seem to perpetuate the idea that any buyer asking questions or 'kicking tyres' are time wasters and sellers would be better off selling to a big company. I don't like the way it's going. I would be suspicious about the log book thing along with the 'which one?' question you get when phoning up to ask about a car for sale. I've only ever sold one car in my life and I placed what I thought to be the perfect ad, with plenty of information on it, as I knew how annoying it was as a buyer when you don't get that. It sold within a couple of days. I've gone off the point a bit but I just mean buyers have the right to take their time and produce documents such as the above because again, it's a minefield.
  • Options
    I am in the market for a new car now and went to look at one today. It wasn't worth the money. I would never get anyone to sign a contract though...That's just weird. If I am not happy I would walk away...That's the normal thing to do...

I don't really like buying from dealers though...they just add there piece on the top wash the car and stick it on the front hoping you don't come back...its true..
  • Options

He came and took it tonight. He was happy with me just showing him my id. But then he pulls out this big red folder and removes a contract from it!! (I did say to him "whats this? this is your life?" when he pulled the folder out!!

Anyway he produces a contract of sale which is about 3 pages long...Says things like I declare I am the owner of the said vehicle and I have the title to be able to pass it on to another. I declare the vehicle is free from defects, damage,insurance claims and losses and the mileage is correct accurate and current to the best of my belief blah blah..

I had never seen anything like this before. I asked him if I could get my solicitor to give it the once over! he said oh no you just need to sign it...At this point I am thinking this bloke is a complete drip. I thought I ain't signing this old shite the cars had 5 owners before me.. So I wrote on it in a squiggle. Declined to sign!! sold as seen!! and gave it back to him...I said to him I would check that if I were you he said "na its ok" and we done the deal and he took the car.....

If he is a Charlton fan reading this then....Whatever mate read my tattoo on my profile picture and JOG ON!!

All that for a 1978 Morris Marina?
  • Options
    BMW Isetta 300 actually..beep beep
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

I had never seen anything like this before. I asked him if I could get my solicitor to give it the once over! he said oh no you just need to sign it...At this point I am thinking this bloke is a complete drip. I thought I ain't signing this old shite the cars had 5 owners before me.. So I wrote on it in a squiggle. Declined to sign!! sold as seen!! and gave it back to him...I said to him I would check that if I were you he said "na its ok" and we done the deal and he took the car....., a 1983 brown

All that for a 1978 Morris Marina?

Better than that, a 1983 cut and shut brown Austin Princess
  • Options

BMW Isetta 300 actually..beep beep

Want!
  • Options
    My aunt used to have one, can remember her taking me out in it as a kid.
  • Options
    I have been watching a lot of reviews on WhatCar. Thinking of getting a Volvo. Mrs keeps asking me why I keep watching the same review...Watched it 4 times Saturday during the frampton fight....in-between rounds..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35642myPRnQ
  • Options

I have been watching a lot of reviews on WhatCar. Thinking of getting a Volvo. Mrs keeps asking me why I keep watching the same review...Watched it 4 times Saturday during the frampton fight....in-between rounds..

Yes, I see why. It's got good bodywork, twin air bags and I bet it handles well.
  • Options
    Wouldn't mind being taken to the off road section...sounds fun...
  • Options

Wouldn't mind being taken to the off road section...sounds fun...

No road too muddy for your little buddy?
  • Options

I'd like one of those.
  • Options
    what one?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With her in the boot like that she'd be great for dogging
  • Options
    Oxleas woods
  • Options
    I can understand him wanting you to sign a document stating there's was no finance outstanding and that you are the legal owner of the vehicle. But regarding it being free from defects? He's basically asking for a warranty. Unless you're a registered garage/dealer, he's mad to expect this from a private seller...........
  • Options
    I didn't want some turkey neck coming back to me months down the line. It doesn't really matter anyway private sale is a private sale end of I ain't no car dealer. Would u whip out a contract when you buy a pint of Hoegaarden at the valley?

"Just sign there barman to say the beer is free from any yeast particles and the top is below one inch in height"

Oh and my name is Norman by the way
  • Options
    Just brought a Volvo last month
    So just watched the video a few times to convince my self I'd made the right choice
    Still not convinced so will have to give it a few more viewings tomorrow
  • Options
    smiffyboy said:

She can always spread the love in my boot...
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    smiffyboy said:

As long as there's room for my cocker. He loves nothing more that sticking his head out, when he's hanging out in the back, along with a sniff around a wet fanny in the morning. The only problem is he comes home cover in shite, after rolling in it.
  • Options

smiffyboy said:

As long as there's room for my cocker. He loves nothing more that sticking his head out, when he's hanging out in the back, along with a sniff around a wet fanny in the morning. The only problem is he comes home cover in shite, after rolling in it.

Is this one of your diary entries?
  • Options
    ads said:

smiffyboy said:

Is this one of your diary entries?
    Yes, along with lipstick at the ready.