Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Article: A silver star for the 70th anniversary season?

Charlton's crest – for me, still the greatest, simplest, most beautiful emblem in football – should be changed. Not completely, not dramatically, but with the subtle addition of a single, silver star, hovering somewhere above the point of the gleaming sword.

Why? Because it would represent the success of the team being the first – and now, only – South London football club to win the greatest domestic knock-out competition in football: the FA Cup.

Many clubs and national teams around the world append their badges with silver or gold stars, representing various championships. In England, for instance, Aston Villa and Nottingham Forest sport one and two gold stars (respectively), thanks to their wins of the European Cup more than thirty years ago. Both these clubs have tremendous local rivalry in their respective cities. So what better way to demonstrate their perceived dominance than to adorn their crest with a hard-won trophy?

Our club’s greatest on-field achievement, back in 1947 should be remembered, honoured and noted, permanently. The stars of the immediate post-war teams may be physically fading now, so what better way to remember them, than to include a real star every time the current – and future – teams take the field?

At that time, no other club from our part of London had won the FA Cup. Or even got close. And now, since the Wimbledon winners of the Cup in 1988, turned their backs on London some years later, Charlton remains the only South London club able to claim “FA Cup Winners” among their honours.

Crystal Palace may well be able to point to their glorious victory in the 1991 Full Members’ Cup. AFC Wimbledon’s trophy cabinet has had to make room for the Combined Counties league Premier Challenge Cup in 2004, the Isthmian League Division One trophy in 2005, the Football Conference (South) trophy four years later. And Millwall have the honour of winning trophies that Charlton have never even qualified to compete in: the Football League Fourth Division in 1962 as well as the Western Football League in 1908 and 1909. But none of these clubs has reached the Final of the FA Cup, won it, walked up the steps and, for twelve months, taken custody of the country’s top football knock-out trophy.

Some people might think that winning the FA Cup does not qualify a team from wearing a star on its badge. I’d point two things out. First, it is the club’s decision whether to adopt a star in this way. Second, there is precedent: both Bury and Ipswich have stars on their badges commemorating FA Cup wins.

Our club won the best domestic knock-out competition in the world. Our club can decide whether to wear a badge to honour the names of Bartram, Croker, Shreeve, Johnson, Phipps, Whittaker, Hurst, Dawson, Robinson, Welsh, Duffy and, of course, Seed.

Should we ask the owners of Charlton to consider adopting a silver badge for next season, the 70th anniversary of the FA Cup win?

Comments

• I like the idea, but why the 70th year?

Its the sort of thing that would be appropriate maybe on the 100 year anniversary IMO.
  • Would the entire badge be in silver... I like the idea but if not the sword / writing etc... is already in silver on the kits isnt it?
  • Should be there always.
  • cafctom said:

I like the idea, but why the 70th year?

Its the sort of thing that would be appropriate maybe on the 100 year anniversary IMO.

I'm hoping there will be plenty more stars by then!

I only suggested the 70th anniversary as it's next season. And this season's kit is already in place.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Should be there always.

But it isn't now. So, should the club's owners be asked whether this can be done from next season?
  • nope, changing the badge as it's 70 years since we won the FA cup - is it a serious request?

how about a small pint of Guinness for when we won the soccer 6 !
  • nope, changing the badge as it's 70 years since we won the FA cup - is it a serious request?

how about a small pint of Guinness for when we won the soccer 6 !

Fill your boots.

(By the way, what is a small pint?)
  • Chizz said:

Dazzler21 said:

Should be there always.

But it isn't now. So, should the club's owners be asked whether this can be done from next season?
    Yes, definitely

• Why make a statement that is 70 years since we won a major trophy.

I would ask a different question. Why not celebrate that we - of all South London clubs - *have* won a trophy?

There's no sell-by date on history. No-one can take away the result of that competition. But the club can decide whether it's worth marking, showing off and commemorating.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2015
    Chizz said:

Why make a statement that is 70 years since we won a major trophy.

I would ask a different question. Why not celebrate that we - of all South London clubs - *have* won a trophy?

There's no sell-by date on history. No-one can take away the result of that competition. But the club can decide whether it's worth marking, showing off and commemorating.
    In which case do it now. It's the 70th anniversary that seems odd to me.

50/75/100 Makes sense but not 70 imho
  • Would the entire badge be in silver... I like the idea but if not the sword / writing etc... is already in silver on the kits isnt it?

What would *you* want?
  • Chizz said:

Why make a statement that is 70 years since we won a major trophy.

In which case do it now. It's the 70th anniversary that seems odd to me.

50/75/100 Makes sense but not 70 imho
    I only suggested next season on the basis that *this* season's kit is finalised. I imagine that next season would be the soonest it could possibly be done; it is merely coincidental that it's a round-figure anniversary.
  • Triangular corner flags will do!

(I believed that as a kid as I'm sure a lot on here did also)
  • Wait until we can put a second star on the shirt at the same time, its our year in the cup, i can feel it in the air! (warning i may say this every season) :smiley:

• Four teams from South London have won the FA Cup, we were the third team to do so.

Having a star a on your shirt traditionally seemed to represent clubs that had won 10 league titles, with subsequent stars for each further ten titles won. In more recent seasons the trend has been for relatively less successful teams domestically to add stars if they have had a fortuitous run in Europe.

Ipswich have won a European trophy.

If Charlton get a star on merit great, if not no thanks. The club's league position under Curbs, the success of Wigan and the financial strength of the English leagues, show Charlton fans still dream of FA Cup, League Cup and Europa Cup success.

• Four teams from South London have won the FA Cup, we were the third team to do so.

Who are the other three, current, South London teams to have won it?

Having a star a on your shirt traditionally seemed to represent clubs that had won 10 league titles, with subsequent stars for each further ten titles won. In more recent seasons the trend has been for relatively less successful teams domestically to add stars if they have had a fortuitous run in Europe.

Some clubs have stars on their shirts for winning the FA Cup. I propose that Charlton should, too.

Ipswich have won a European trophy.

Indeed they have. For which they have one of their three stars. The other two are for winning the the Championship and winning the FA Cup.

If Charlton get a star on merit great, if not no thanks. The club's league position under Curbs, the success of Wigan and the financial strength of the English leagues, show Charlton fans still dream of FA Cup, League Cup and Europa Cup success.

If winning the FA Cup is "merit", then, like Ipswich and Bury, Charlton merit a star.
  • No star. That would be ever so slightly embarrassing.

• Not sure of the relevance of whether the other teams from South London exist now or not. Either way they have still won the cup. We were not the first team from South London to win the cup.

Winning the Cup does not merit a star.
  • Sponsored links:

• Winning the Cup does not merit a star.

Except, apparently, in the cases of those clubs that have decided it does.
  • I think this would represent a huge slap in the face for the team that won the People's Cup just those couple of years ago.
  • I'd definately agree on a gold star for beating the Span...ne...

Like that's gonna happen anytime soon?
  • No thanks. What about my tattoo if you go mucking about with our emblem?