Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ron Springett: England 1966 World Cup squad member dies

Comments

• Can you remember who the third goalie in the 1966 squad was though? (Note - it wasn't Bonetti!)
  • Tony Waiters of Blackpool?
  • Ron Springett one of my first goalkeeping heroes.
  • Pedro45 said:

Can you remember who the third goalie in the 1966 squad was though? (Note - it wasn't Bonetti!)

Gordon West Everton?
  • edited September 2015
    Peter Bonetti.
    RIP Ron Springett. Top goalie.
  • edited September 2015
    Yes, it was Gordon West. A pointless answer in naming of the 22...
  • RIP. I'm apparently related to him according to my Grandad who also passed away a few years ago. I have no idea how I'd go about finding that out but it's safe to say the footballing talent of the Springett family never found me.
  • RIP .. Wednesday truly were quite a BIG club when he played for them
  • Sponsored links:

• Very, very good keeper as said Wednesday were a top club when he played there

RIP
  • edited September 2015

Very, very good keeper as said Wednesday were a top club when he played there

RIP

Massive in fact. ;-)

RIP
  • As already been said, a very good keeper RIP

Belatedly picking up a World cup winners medal in 2009, with among others Bonetti not West.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8093891.stm
  • RIP. I'm apparently related to him according to my Grandad who also passed away a few years ago. I have no idea how I'd go about finding that out but it's safe to say the footballing talent of the Springett family never found me.

Shouldn't be too hard if you know whether it is the maternal or paternal line and know a few maiden names.
  • I could be wrong, but I think Jimmy Seed was watching him with a view to signing him as the successor to Sam Bartram.
  • edited September 2015

RIP. I'm apparently related to him according to my Grandad who also passed away a few years ago. I have no idea how I'd go about finding that out but it's safe to say the footballing talent of the Springett family never found me.

just read his Wiki entry and was surprised to read that he was a 'cockney', born in Fulham, ex QPR apprentice .. I always thought of him as a 'man of the north' ..
  • Gordon West was in the original 1966 England squad of 40 picked by Alf Ramsey but did not make the final 22. The 3rd England keeper was Peter Bonetti.
  • Gordon West was in the original 1966 England squad of 40 picked by Alf Ramsey but did not make the final 22. The 3rd England keeper was Peter Bonetti.

I think one if not both of Mike Bailey and Marvin Hinton made that squad of 40 too.

They'd both left Charlton by then of course. Hinton went to Chelsea and Bailey Wolves.

just read his Wiki entry and was surprised to read that he was a 'cockney', born in Fulham, ex QPR apprentice .. I always thought of him as a 'man of the north' ..
    Yeah, well, my mum's side have the same surname, as did my grandad so I don't think it's too distant a relation. I'll find out but I think he may have been grandad's cousin.
  • Sponsored links:

I think he had 3 sisters: Edna, Margaret and Sheila and 2 brothers Raymond and Peter.

Peter also played professionally as a goalkeeper (also for Sheffield Wednesday amongst others)and sadly died some years ago.

His mother's maiden name was LAST.

Hopefully that information might help you.
  • Edna married a George FOXWELL, Margaret a George MEPHAM and Sheila a Frank STEVENS.
  • LenGlover said:

RIP. I'm apparently related to him according to my Grandad who also passed away a few years ago. I have no idea how I'd go about finding that out but it's safe to say the footballing talent of the Springett family never found me.

I think he had 3 sisters: Edna, Margaret and Sheila and 2 brothers Raymond and Peter.

Peter also played professionally as a goalkeeper (also for Sheffield Wednesday amongst others)and sadly died some years ago.

His mother's maiden name was LAST.

Hopefully that information might help you.
    Thanks Len. I'll try to find out as much as I can from my mum.
  • edited September 2015
    Edna had two children Carol and Alan FOXWELL

Margaret had James, Deborah, Tracey and Steven MEPHAM

Sheila had Ian and Maria STEVENS

Hopefully there are names there that might help
  • edited September 2015
    Raymond SPRINGETT married a Margaret GRIFFITHS and they had a daughter Ann SPRINGETT.
  • edited September 2015
    Ron's father was called PERCIVAL and I've found two brothers of his, ROBERT and DENNIS SPRINGETT

That's about all I can easily do at the moment.
  • I've found Allen A, John E and Graham F SPRINGETT, born in and around the Colchester area, all sons of Alfred G SPRINGETT who I think is Percival's older brother.

• LenGlover said:

I've found Allen A, John E and Graham F SPRINGETT, born in and around the Colchester area, all sons of Alfred G SPRINGETT who I think is Percival's older brother.

Thanks Len. Might give my mum a call tonight and see what she knows. There's a lot of family names in your list, and if I had to guess, Id say he was my Grandad's cousin. Ann and Robert are family names, as is George, which I noticed was one of Ron's middle names.
  • edited September 2015

LenGlover said:

I've found Allen A, John E and Graham F SPRINGETT, born in and around the Colchester area, all sons of Alfred G SPRINGETT who I think is Percival's older brother.

Thanks Len. Might give my mum a call tonight and see what she knows. There's a lot of family names in your list, and if I had to guess, Id say he was my Grandad's cousin. Ann and Robert are family names, as is George, which I noticed was one of Ron's middle names.
    Alfred does not appear to be Percival's brother on looking at the 1911 Census. It shows only two daughters, Eva May and Beatrice Alice aged 3 and 2 respectively. Percival himself was born towards the end of 1911.