Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Shine Night Walk (Millwall Traffic)

No I'm not looking to convert to become a Millwall fan... Wondering if anyone can help

My fiancee is doing the Shine Walk in London tonight (Its a Half-Marathon walk for Cancer Research), yet starts around 7:30pm from Southwark Park... Because of the lateness of the finish (About 2am) and because we live in Strood, I'm going to be driving her (and a friend) up to Southwark Park (Surrey Quays) and will then be driving on to the Cannon Street area where I'll be leaving the car whilst she does the walk.

Because of London Traffic I'm aiming to get to Southwark Park around 5pm, once I've dropped her off, I'll then be driving on to my location which'll involve me going via. Old Kent Road and across Southwark Bridge...

Have noticed that I'll be going rather close to the Den and was wondering if anyone knows what traffic can be like round that area after a match (i.e. Can the roads be as busy once a Charlton match has finished or do most of their fans use Public Transport?)

P.S. If anyone does want to sponsor her for the walk... https://www.justgiving.com/Leanne-Watson1 ;)

Comments

• Options
    My wife and sister (they're not the same person) are doing it.

Finishing by 2 will be quite some effort.
  • Options
    Don't think they've book a bandwagon this season for home games.
  • Options
    PL54 said:

My wife and sister (they're not the same person) are doing it.

Finishing by 2 will be quite some effort.

Good luck to the both of them, what time are they hoping to finish by?

Do you plan to go up there yourself?
  • Options
    I'm doing it with my 13-year old daughter, planning on parking at Blackheath/lewisham so there are better transport links to get back to the car later on. However if we're still walking at 2am she'll be in trouble - it's just a half marathon walk...
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

I'm doing it with my 13-year old daughter, planning on parking at Blackheath/lewisham so there are better transport links to get back to the car later on. However if we're still walking at 2am she'll be in trouble - it's just a half marathon walk...

Good luck @Fumbluff...

I've done a Half-Marathon running and that takes me 1hr 40mins so would be surprised if she's going much longer than past 2am.

Did think about parking that way but my other half isnt a fan of having to worry about Public Transport afterwards.

(The NCP along the road from Cannon Street has only cost £5 as well)
  • Options
    Cheers, good luck to your missus too
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    At 3 mile an hour it's about 8 or 9 hours I guess. Must be staggered starts as they don't start until 0930.

I'll be in with a takeaway, 3 children and some beer watching the rugby.
  • Options
    Half marathons are getting longer and longer!
  • Options
    I didn't realise there is a half marathon going on - my 2 are doing the full 40k
  • Options
    0930 would be tomorrow morning, not a great time for a night walk to start :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't think they've book a bandwagon this season for home games.

oh yes they have. I saw it in Greenwich yesterday, a dirty old blue and white double decker with millwall slogans all over it.
  • Options
    Did the half marathon Shine last year with my sister and 13 year old daughter in just over 5 hours. We put ourselves in the 'striders' category and tip is to be as near the front as possible otherwise it can take forever just to get out of the park. Just be aware they dont close the roads to traffic and the first mile or so can be quite congested. You pass some great landmarks and good that the weather will be on the walkers' sides!

Good luck to those taking part.
  • Options
    Finished at midnight, great tip about the different start points in the park, we went for the power walkers and got away at 7:30:32, can feel the knees now though....
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Finished at midnight, great tip about the different start points in the park, we went for the power walkers and got away at 7:30:32, can feel the knees now though....

Congrats @Fumbluff... My missus arrived 10 minutes after you did.

When crossing Tower Bridge did you acknowledge a bloke in a Charlton hat?
  • Options
    Honestly I think Millwalls attendances this year are circa 5,000 so I doubt there will be too much traffic
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Honestly I think Millwalls attendances this year are circa 5,000 so I doubt there will be too much traffic

Nah there wasnt... Sailed up Old Kent Road to Cannon Street after dropping the missus @ Southwark Park
  • Options

Fumbluff said:

Congrats @Fumbluff... My missus arrived 10 minutes after you did.

When crossing Tower Bridge did you acknowledge a bloke in a Charlton hat?
    I didn't mate, sorry it wasn't me. Congrats to your missus tho!