Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Looking back and thinking Why did I do that?

Looking at the Stars Wars posts got me thinking how much would the old figures be nowadays? I wish I hadn't looked and I will explain. In 1977 when Star Wars was released my grandad took me down to Kiddie City in Woolwich and bought me £100 worth of figures and spacecrafts(at the time I think a figure were 50p?) ! Of course I played with all of them but the best thing I had was the cardboard deathstar which I thought was the nuts!! I had replicas of every figure including maybe 10-15 storm troopers!! Anyway quite a few years later I wanted a purple chopper bike which my mate joe was selling so has I didn't have the £30 he wanted for it I gave him all my Star Wars figures in exchange and didn't really think nothing of until now OH MY GOD! The Death Star on eBay is over £450 and most figures go between £5-£110 I feel like crying! So my question is, is there anything you have owned that you have either sold or given away that is now worth a fortune??

Comments

• I'd be curious to know how much the Millennium Falcon would cost... My parents found one thrown away once years ago and brought it home for me, I used to love playing with it (Didn't have the top) but didn't realise what it was (Was born in 1983 but never recall seeing Star Wars or Return of the Jedi when it came out).

Was only years later when I realised it was the Falcon that I had... Think it just got chucked, cant remember.

Just realised as well that I used to have a AT-AT Walker as well but never associated that with Star Wars at the time either
  • It thought this was going to be about supporting Charlton.
  • I don't think you should get too hung up on this:
    £100 in 1977 is worth about £650 now. If you played with all your figures, I think you can assume they would sell at the lower end of that £5-£110 range (Pristine and still in its box would be the top end, I guess?)
    So, if they sold for 50p back then and they're going for £5 now, that equates to £100 turning into £1000. That makes you about £350 down - hardly a fortune. Anyway, coincidentally, £350 is what some old school choppers are selling for, so you're even! :smiley:

If you were going to make a killing, your grandad should have put all the toys in storage in his loft and only told you he had them once you'd grown up.

:smiley:
  • Maybe didnt explain myself that £100 was only the start of it in 1977 I collected for years later so spent a hell of a lot more then £100!
  • Try and give a 4 year old a toy and tell him or her you can't take it out the packaging in case in 35 years time it will make a killing?
    My point was I gave away a hell of a lot of toys for a bike which was stolen 2 years later Aghhhh
  • Looking at the Stars Wars posts got me thinking how much would the old figures be nowadays? I wish I hadn't looked and I will explain. In 1977 when Star Wars was released my grandad took me down to Kiddie City in Woolwich and bought me £100 worth of figures and spacecrafts(at the time I think a figure were 50p?) ! Of course I played with all of them but the best thing I had was the cardboard deathstar which I thought was the nuts!! I had replicas of every figure including maybe 10-15 storm troopers!! Anyway quite a few years later I wanted a purple chopper bike which my mate joe was selling so has I didn't have the £30 he wanted for it I gave him all my Star Wars figures in exchange and didn't really think nothing of until now OH MY GOD! The Death Star on eBay is over £450 and most figures go between £5-£110 I feel like crying! So my question is, is there anything you have owned that you have either sold or given away that is now worth a fortune??

Born in 1974, I was exactly the same and my old man spoilt me rotten every birthday and Christmas with Star Wars stuff. I gave it all away to the little boy next when I was in my early 20's. Although I played with everything to death, the collection would be worth silly money today but hey, wouldn't change a thing. What a childhood!!!!

• MrLargo said:

This doesn't show me in a particularly good light. About 20 years ago, when I was 15, I purchased a copy of Playboy with Pamela Anderson as the cover star, on the basis that it would be worth a few quid when she died (I recognise now that this was a somewhat tasteless motive). The Vintage Magazine Shop in Soho used to have Marilyn Monroe Playboys and the like selling for over £200, so I thought this was a very shrewd investment. I looked through it once (well you have to, don't you?!) and then stuck it in a folder, hid it under the wardrobe and waited for the opportunity to cash in my retirement fund. Predictably, my mum found it a couple of years later and binned it. They've got copies of the same magazine in the aforementioned shop priced at £30 already, and Pamela is still (thankfully) alive and well.

BUSTED!!! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2015
    years ago I stole a purple chopper bike, obviously my parents didn't believe that I "found" it and they gave it to a charity shop.

I went without pocket money for a while after that
  • edited October 2015

Try and give a 4 year old a toy and tell him or her you can't take it out the packaging in case in 35 years time it will make a killing?
    My point was I gave away a hell of a lot of toys for a bike which was stolen 2 years later Aghhhh

I share your pain. I traded most of my starwars for things I wish I hadn't.

With my kids, a few years ago, whenever I brought them a toy and I thought it might be worth a few bob in the future, I'd buy 2 and leave one boxed up out of the way. Only for the wife to find them and donate to charity shops.
  • MrLargo said:

This doesn't show me in a particularly good light. About 20 years ago, when I was 15, I purchased a copy of Playboy with Pamela Anderson as the cover star, on the basis that it would be worth a few quid when she died (I recognise now that this was a somewhat tasteless motive). The Vintage Magazine Shop in Soho used to have Marilyn Monroe Playboys and the like selling for over £200, so I thought this was a very shrewd investment. I looked through it once (well you have to, don't you?!) and then stuck it in a folder, hid it under the wardrobe and waited for the opportunity to cash in my retirement fund. Predictably, my mum found it a couple of years later and binned it. They've got copies of the same magazine in the aforementioned shop priced at £30 already, and Pamela is still (thankfully) alive and well.

The dissapointing thing about this is you only managed to get 'use' out of the magazine once.
  • MrLargo said:

The dissapointing thing about this is you only managed to get 'use' out of the magazine once.
    Ha ha. The Playboy was bought specifically as an investment and needed to be stashed in a place where it would remain in pristine condition. My personal collection of art brochures were hidden within the fabric of my mattress, creased but undetectable. They'd still be there now, but so many of the pages were stuck together that it wasn't worth keeping them!
  • Wish I'd bought my 2 bed flat overlooking the cutty sark for 27k in 2001

Hahaha hahaha hahaha, how I laugh everyday.

Ouch!!!

aaaarghhh that's not good

Better add for my sanity that I was only 21 and the missus 18 at the time, only just met and it was her flat given to her by the council. Should have asked for family favours to get a mortgage, them things weren't important at the time, well at least I didnt think they were.

Right to buy, it was :(
  • also gave away all my Star Wars figures when we moved house in 1980...gutting...also wish I hadn't broken down and sold my Haro Master 2nd Generation BMX from 1984...I'm currently rebuilding one and have spent ££££s tracking down the frame, getting it re-chromed, getting new decals made in the US, tracking down the Redline 401 flight crank, skyways etc etc...all for a bike I'll never ride....but I love it nonetheless....
  • Sponsored links:

• Subutteo boys and girls. Now that is something we all should've kept hold of. That stuff goes for an absolute packet. When I think about how many of those little men I crushed with my knees as I ambled round the carpet trying to actually play the game by the proper rules, only to get bored and just flick the ball into an empty goal. I used to love it though, the stadiums, the European goal nets, the different balls. The fact that we were also Barnsley and Wrexham.

You'll have a sound little investment there if you have any of the older stuff. Closest thing I thought I had to something that would be worth money was the first ever Dandy mini comic book series edition. Don't know if you recall but both dandy and Beano started bringing out small editions of a story to a specific character. I have the first Dandy one. I thought I'd be looking at a real antiques roadshow wonder item (the comic book equivalent), however turns out it's trading at about £2.50 on amazon....

Great
  • Looking back and thinking Why did I do that?

First girl I slept with. No doubt she felt the same.
  • edited October 2015
    Sold my ford rs 2000 in about 1986 for about £1000 with a bit of minor crash damage
    saw it on eBay a few years back alive and kicking for £19,999!!