Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Swegway/Segway/Hoverboard

Has anyone bought a swegway/hoverboard or what ever they are called? I am looking to get one for my eldest but all places seem to be dodgy links to China with terrible reviews? Any tips or anyone in China who can help?

Comments

• Watched the gadget show recently, apparently there's a hoverboard called 'The Hendo' (worth a Google) looked quite good on the programme.
  • Thx I'll have a look
  • Bloody great fun and surprisingly easy to master.

I got mine on Red5.co.uk it's made by Airboard

£600 but there's s 10% coupon somewhere online - Google it.

• £600 - a bit out of my price range!! Perhaps a skateboard might be better!!!!
  • Illegal to use in the UK except on private land. Plod are clamping down apparently. So unless you've got a long private driveway, don't bother.
    http://bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34504799/the-strange-rise-of-the-hoverboard-and-why-you-shouldnt-ride-them-through-traffic
  • I've seen that too we live in a quiet road so should be ok
  • I've seen that too we live in a quiet road so should be ok

Yes, unless you run over a neighbour and get sued into oblivion because you haven't got insurance (which you can't get I believe.)
  • cafcfan said:

I've seen that too we live in a quiet road so should be ok

Yes, unless you run over a neighbour and get sued into oblivion because you haven't got insurance (which you can't get I believe.)
    You could get him a mobility scooter, as he can use it on the road and the pavement.
  • Watched the gadget show recently, apparently there's a hoverboard called 'The Hendo' (worth a Google) looked quite good on the programme.

The hendo? Is it amazing on the few occasions that it isn't broken?
  • Sponsored links:

• I've just been visiting the Bagello museum in Florence and it would appear that the Segway here has been going on for years.

• Drat I can't send the photo.

Careful when using the Hendo... Rumours are you'll get a shoulder injury
  • I need to find somewhere reliable to buy from that isn't ridiculously expensive
  • edited October 2015

I need to find somewhere reliable to buy from that isn't ridiculously expensive

A consultant I worked with for years has recently started up a business selling these, I'll see if I can get hold of his contact details.

• cafcfan said:

Illegal to use in the UK except on private land. Plod are clamping down apparently. So unless you've got a long private driveway, don't bother.
    http://bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/34504799/the-strange-rise-of-the-hoverboard-and-why-you-shouldnt-ride-them-through-traffic

No more illegal than roller skates and skateboards. I live on a new development so have no issues.

They are good to use indoors too - excellent fun navigating around toys and stuff (though I nearly killed myself running over a lego man hiding in the rug).

• I see people (assumedly) going to work on the wheeled versions every morning at 8am on Oxford Street
    smiffyboy said:

Both of my kids want one each for Christmas

If that was my kids I'd advise them that they had the wrong Dad.
  • Can get the ones you see all the youtuber's riding for £197 + free UK delivery on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014ESV6XS/ref=twister_B0148B4SLI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1 (white one is the cheapest)
  • edited October 2015
    Swisdom said:

cafcfan said:

Illegal to use in the UK except on private land. Plod are clamping down apparently. So unless you've got a long private driveway, don't bother.

No more illegal than roller skates and skateboards. I live on a new development so have no issues.

They are good to use indoors too - excellent fun navigating around toys and stuff (though I nearly killed myself running over a lego man hiding in the rug).

The CPS disagree with you.
    cps.gov.uk/legal/p_to_r/road_traffic_offences/#dot
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcfan said:

Swisdom said:

cafcfan said:

But isn't that the same as a skateboard it roller skates? And people have used them for years.

This is just the fun police being....fun!

• seen a few people on the air wheels that's the single wheel version, also saw a bloke fall off of one this morning which was quite amusing.
  • edited October 2015
    Swisdom said:

cafcfan said:

Swisdom said:

cafcfan said:

But isn't that the same as a skateboard it roller skates? And people have used them for years.

This is just the fun police being....fun!

It's the law not keeping up with fast-moving reality.

So the law knows about bicycles which is why you can ride an electric bike as long as it's got pedals. Anything else that is motorised but hasn't got pedals is illegal on the road if it doesn't meet "type approval" and safety laws. Which clearly these types of means of propulsion do not because they haven't got stuff like brakes, mudguards, lights, warning horns, etc, etc.

And you need to show a degree of competency (get a licence) in order to operate regular vehicles.

Such electic-powered vehicles that have recently come to market cannot be used on pavements because they pose a risk to pedestrians. There are a few means of transport - again because they have been around for a while - which are exempted from the pavement thing. Like mobility scooters and wheelchairs as long as they cannot exceed 4mph. No pimping your ride for mobility scooters unfortunately!
    BTW it is the Highways Act of 1835 that governs this stuff which shows how out of date the law is but someone cycling on the pavement is in line for a £500 fine. In reality it would be a £50 fixed penalty which is why it is okay for kids under 10 to ride on the pavement. It's still not legal but you can't give a fixed penalty to a kid.

It's easy to see why people think this is killjoy stuff and I tend to agree. But the lack of third party liability insurance seems to me to be the real issue and the likeliest stumbling block. (As it should be for another thing that should be banned from the roads - fecking horses.)

Edited to add: there is a Category of mobility scooter that is permitted to travel at up to 8mph but you need to use it on the road, not pavement (not sure how you are supposed to get in into your house?) And it has to be registered with the DVLA. You also can't use one if you are under 14 years old.

I suspect it is irresponsible yoof with no consideration for others that is perceived to be the problem?
  • I assume these things are real. Not sure how you get a power source to carry a hefty person for several miles. I assume you need a perfectly flat, even, and unbroken surface to make these things work.
  • seth plum said:

I assume these things are real. Not sure how you get a power source to carry a hefty person for several miles. I assume you need a perfectly flat, even, and unbroken surface to make these things work.

Yes they are real and great fun I would think.*. The better ones with the larger motors take about three hours to charge but have a range of quite a few miles though probably that range goes down a fair bit if they are carrying their 22 stone weight limit!

* But I thought Jetskis would be fun as well and experience shows that they have to be the most boring creation since the Sinclair C5.
  • I'm 17 stone and mine takes 1 hour to charge and the range is 7-9 miles -or 45 mins usage

A flat surface is preferred but not essential

I use it at night just to unwind. Roll around,keep an eye on the development and just relax. It's my stress relief
  • I'm sure the old bill were using segways at some point, admittedly they were the ones with handle bars but there surely isn't a great deal of difference?
  • Is there any film of this thing, going over a field or gravel path or something?
  • My father in law has just bought my son one for doing well in his 11+...think it was about £230 on Amazon...don't have the link...sorry