Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Former Charlton boss Guy Luzon admits he feared squad was too small

Friday, 30 October 2015 By Richard Cawley

GUY Luzon has admitted he was worried Charlton lacked the squad depth to withstand the demands of the Championship.
The Israeli was fired by Addicks owner Roland Duchatelet on Saturday evening, less than an hour after the 3-0 defeat to Brentford that extended the club’s wait for a victory to 10 games.
But Luzon felt he would be given more time to turn around the team’s plight as they were hampered by injuries to key men like Stephen Henderson, Simon Makienok, Ahmed Kashi and Igor Vetokele.

http://www.southlondonpress.co.uk/article.cfm?id=114216&headline=Former Charlton boss Guy Luzon admits he feared squad was too small&sectionIs=sport&searchyear=2015

Comments

• In other news:

Grass is green ... :-)
  • Nice to see Luzon coming out and discussing his time at Charlton... Its rare for a sacked Manager to do it these days and I'm guessing an NDA might have been signed but good to see that he isn't being bitter about it
  • A very decent man. Good luck to him.
  • Not letting him say goodbye to his colleagues, that's just plain childish. Hope we see him turn up at the Valley to support us, it sounds like we made an impression on him.
  • Luzon doesn’t regret taking the Charlton job and his intention is to stay in London and secure another job in the Championship.
    Optimistic, but I guess he's hoping to be the next Leeds manager!
  • Sponsored links:

• Guy was saying that while the transfer window was still open so I do feel bad for him.

I found this part interesting: 'He was not able to say his goodbyes face to face as the training time was switched on Monday when he went into the club’s Sparrows Lane training ground to clear his desk'. Struck me as unusual

maybe, just maybe, training is normally in the morning so Guy went in in the morning only to find it had been switched to the afternoon so that Karel could be in attendance as getting there in the morning might have been a big ask seeing as he'd had to travel over, settle into a hotel etc etc.

if what Guy says is true it confirms where the blame for our plight lies - firmly with Duchatelat and as for moving the training time on Monday so he could not say his good byes that is just plain shitty (sorry can't think of another word) and I guess Meire is behind that action.

so thanks Guy and good luck

see above, why does everything have to made into a chance top bash KM or RD?

• Southbank said:

“They told me this squad is short and you need to manage it.'

This is the key point-RD knows that the squad is small yet persists with the strategy. That is why we are effectively doomed to relegation barring some miracle.

It is not because he cannot afford to spend more either.

Relegation to League One would be a complete and utter disaster for the club. If it happens, I fear for us getting out of it so long as RD owns us.
  • Southbank said:

“They told me this squad is short and you need to manage it.'

This is the key point-RD knows that the squad is small yet persists with the strategy. That is why we are effectively doomed to relegation barring some miracle.

It is not because he cannot afford to spend more either.

I agree with the bolded part. What he can afford to spend is a different issue altogether. I understand he can't just throw unlimited money at the club, but my issue is that it appears that he is spending in the wrong places. Infrastructure is important, but it's pointless if you don't have a team that is capable of performing week in week out.
  • Guy was saying that while the transfer window was still open so I do feel bad for him.

I found this part interesting: 'He was not able to say his goodbyes face to face as the training time was switched on Monday when he went into the club’s Sparrows Lane training ground to clear his desk'. Struck me as unusual

maybe, just maybe, training is normally in the morning so Guy went in in the morning only to find it had been switched to the afternoon so that Karel could be in attendance as getting there in the morning might have been a big ask seeing as he'd had to travel over, settle into a hotel etc etc.

if what Guy says is true it confirms where the blame for our plight lies - firmly with Duchatelat and as for moving the training time on Monday so he could not say his good byes that is just plain shitty (sorry can't think of another word) and I guess Meire is behind that action.

so thanks Guy and good luck

see above, why does everything have to made into a chance top bash KM or RD?

Where did I bash anything? Just said it seemed unusual and is very vague in the article. In fact I deliberately avoided jumping to any conclusions. Why does everything have to be made into a chance to bash people other people think are bashing KM or RD?
  • I think it was pretty clear that GL didn't get the players in who he wanted right at the end of the transfer window. He kept on saying he expected another 2 or 3 to come in but it just never materialized. I think we know where the fault really lies.
  • Wish him all the best as I do Peeters. I think he turned out to be a decent manager, despite my initial reservations.Those reservations were purely around his links to the network! We don't need him to tell us where the fault lies, we are not stupid. The squad was and is criminally light. The issues were always going to come up, unfortunately some bad luck with injuries made it happen sooner rather than later. What baffles me is, don't KM and RD realise it is their fault. Do they honestly believe it is Luzon's?
  • Wish him all the best as I do Peeters. I think he turned out to be a decent manager, despite my initial reservations.Those reservations were purely around his links to the network! We don't need him to tell us where the fault lies, we are not stupid. The squad was and is criminally light. The issues were always going to come up, unfortunately some bad luck with injuries made it happen sooner rather than later. What baffles me is, don't KM and RD realise it is their fault. Do they honestly believe it is Luzon's?

They certainly won't think its theirs!
  • Should've asked him if he had to interview for the job.