Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Breakdown cover

I've just been quoted £300 to renew my AA membership. That includes joint cover, home start, roadside and relay. For a new joiner online, the quote is £200. I'm sure I can beat them down on the price, and I find their service to be excellent, but I note other service providers are a lot cheaper.

One I looked at called GEM motor assist was about £100 for the same service and got good reviews. Green flag looked good value as well... But I don't want to pay for a service that doesn't deliver. I don't need them very often, maybe once a year or two, but each time has been essential.

So who do lifers recommend? Any idea of costs?

Comments

• edited October 2015
    I binned the AA a few years back. They had become a total rip-off.
    I now use a firm called Autoaid. £41. The only snag is you have to be able to pay the breakdown firm and claim it back. So its insurance rather than a breakdown service. I think I gave them a go on the back of a recommendation on here.
    I have heard of some people using ADAC, the German equivalent of the AA. They are happy to take UK-based customers, charge 84 euro, cover you across the whole of Europe. Compare that with the AA! The irony is that if you call them because you have broken down, it's the AA that comes out! And they are charging you less for a year than the AA would want for a two week holiday in France.
  • Do mine via bank scheme £10 a month includes breakdown with Rac and travel insurance (holiday). Covers me and Mrs , used breakdown cover once excellent service.
  • AutoAid plus 1 vote from me.
    Used them for years. Could have bought a car with the savings over the AA.

Less than 50 quid for any of the vehicles you might be in.
    Excellent service.
  • That's an outrageous quote from the AA. You should ditch them purely because they have had the cheek to quote you that (particularly, as you say, they will reduce it dramatically if you phone and ask them to match cheaper quotes).

See what you think of Britania Rescue - http://www.lv.com/breakdown-cover?cid=BRBrandRescue/PPC/Google/Brand - Britannia Rescue/Britannia Breakdown - Exact/britannia breakdown/exact&sourcecode=ONLINE&gclid=CLa3ip_c7MgCFacewwodg5gA9Q

Used them for years and have always been OK when I have needed to contact them.
  • Do mine via bank scheme £10 a month includes breakdown with Rac and travel insurance (holiday). Covers me and Mrs , used breakdown cover once excellent service.

Snap
  • So many banks offer it now. Green flag is by far the cheapest and does deliver just struggles against the heritage of the other two big providers.
    A watch out is that if you worry about GF delivering triple check the policy through the bank as a number of banks offer their breakdown through GF and just white label it.
  • I've always used CSMA (Which I'm sure was around £50 for the year for Home and Roadside)... Never had an issue
  • I've used Green Flag in the past .. they're good .. BUT .. when it comes to professional expertise, the AA men take some beating .. I've a free, new car AA membership for 2 years .. had to call them out once for an electrical problem, the mechanic sorted me out in about 5 minutes and I was ... a w a y >>>>>>>>>>>>>> ((:>)
  • After 15 years with the AA I left them this year purely because of their arrogance. Each and every year they used to send a renewal figure through. Every time I would phone them up and they would automatically virtually half their quote as they did this year but rather than renew I put a formal complaint in.

They rely on people (especially the old) automatically renewing without question usually because those individuals are on a DDM and to me that is poor reward for customer loyalty.
  • Autoaid. Great value and reliable service.
  • Sponsored links:

• AA are private equity owned, and not the philanthropic organistation they once were (an AA man once fixed my broken down Morris 1100 without me even being a member!).

Was with Green Flag for two years and had to call them out for a dead battery and, embarrassingly, for running out of petrol on the M25. They gave me great service both times.

Am now with the dreadfully named "2gether" because their cover seems excellent for the price (full UK inc homestart for less than £40) - havent had to use them yet though, happily.
  • After 15 years with the AA I left them this year purely because of their arrogance. Each and every year they used to send a renewal figure through. Every time I would phone them up and they would automatically virtually half their quote as they did this year but rather than renew I put a formal complaint in.

They rely on people (especially the old) automatically renewing without question usually because those individuals are on a DDM and to me that is poor reward for customer loyalty.

this is true of so many companies .. from broadband, insurance of all kinds .. etc. etc.
  • AA quoted me. I rang up & said I wanted their new customer online rate. Chap said he'd speak to the manager & then agreed. I think it was about 30% less.
  • Have just read this thread, wondering who my breakdown cover is with... turns out it is Auto Aid!
    Apparently it's very easy to claim back (see post above), though I haven't had to use it yet.
  • RAC wanted about £170 for roadside and home start, so I checked AA who were cheaper, told RAC who lowered to £103, always worth haggling
  • I have the same with the AA every year. My recent quote was £211.34 - the online price 115.00. I called and told them I wanted to remain a customer, but would not pay more than £115 I also told them that the RAC offered the same service for £92.

I got the renewal for £115.

Last year I threatened the AA that I’d simply alternate between the AA and the RAC every year to get the ‘new customer offer’ if it meant getting a better deal - again the AA gave me the lower price. It makes me angry, it’s like a legal mugging, but it is just a game we have to play nowadays - the same thing happens with all insurance renewals - you have to make the call.

I used green flag one year and had to call them out. The guy turned up fairly promptly. but had no interest (or knowledge) in making a repair - he just wanted to tow me to the destination.
  • The way things are going the new AA is going to be somewhat over subscribed!
  • My name is Dave and i'm an Addick :)
  • Thanks folks... I'll have a serious look at autoaid. As said before, I like the quality of service from the AA, I'll have to beat them down to match their internet price (again) but quite frankly I'm fed up of having the piss taken out of me