Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Hostage taking in Mali - Here we go again

170 hostages taken at Raddisson hotel in Mali.

Hope this has a better outcome than this day last week!

Thoughts with those caught up in it.

Comments

• Problem here is that those storming the hotel have no reason to keep the occupants alive.

I imagine there are more people there than the 170 hiding in bedrooms or obscure places
  • edited November 2015
    Suggestions that they were releasing people who could recite some of the Quran, but could be rubbish, as is often the case during these situations.
  • Suggestions that they were releasing people who could recite some of the Quaran, but could be rubbish, as is often the case during these situations.

It's possible, but I think probably best to take everything as rubbish until after the hostage situation ends (hopefully without any hostage deaths) and probably for the next few days. Seems unlikely to me that first hand accounts from Mali would work their way onto UK social media so quickly.
  • controlled explosion in Enfield outside Café Nero 3 apparent terrorist suspects arrested yesterday approaching the french farmers market that was on in the town

• IA said:

Suggestions that they were releasing people who could recite some of the Quaran, but could be rubbish, as is often the case during these situations.

It's possible, but I think probably best to take everything as rubbish until after the hostage situation ends (hopefully without any hostage deaths) and probably for the next few days. Seems unlikely to me that first hand accounts from Mali would work their way onto UK social media so quickly.
    It was a tweet from there reported on the BBC website but I take your point.
    I thought 3 had been killed already?
  • controlled explosion in Enfield outside Café Nero 3 apparent terrorist suspects arrested yesterday approaching the french farmers market that was on in the town

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/476687/Enfield-bomb-scare-bag-Cafe-Nero

Nothing to worry about, the police blow stuff up as a precaution all the time and in heightened security times pretty much every day.

Cant see anything about the three arrests but these rumours circulate all the time when people are nervous etc. Would have made the news if there was anything in it.
  • edited November 2015
    similar story about a controlled explosion at Baker Street last night.

After seeing the panic and stampede in Paris when the ITV were doing their Interview in a Cafe, when there was a false alarm, the biggest danger of collective anxiety could be, being trampled to death, which would be another victory for the IT (Islamic Terrorists)
    If you have seen the footage you will understand my concerns if there was a gathering on the streets of Thousands of people, whether it was a real threat or a false alarm.

• USIS will claim responsibility for it regardless of whether it was carried out by them or another group of idiots trying to tag on to their reputation.
  • Problem here is that those storming the hotel have no reason to keep the occupants alive.

I imagine there are more people there than the 170 hiding in bedrooms or obscure places

Can you explain what you mean by that?
  • Sponsored links:

• USIS will claim responsibility for it regardless of whether it was carried out by them or another group of idiots trying to tag on to their reputation.

Having said that they claimed the Russian plane that went down and were promptly laughed at.......

It's getting a bit out of hand now though!
  • Three Chinese people killed. R.I.P. :(
  • Looks like they are trying to get all the superpowers against them, killed a planeload of Russians the other week and now Chinese.

Think if the US, Russia and China put their minds and armed forces together then ISIS would be obliterated.
  • No one is telling you who you have to mourn for theeenorth. That is up to you. Ignore the media like I do mate.
  • Indeed P. If only.
  • An al-Qaeda affiliated group has claimed responsibility for the Mali attacks. Another al-Qaeda affiliated group, al-Nusra, are fighting against ISIS in Syria.

But ISIS would be very happy to claim responsibility/take the blame.
  • Sounds like Al Qaeda is offering franchises across the world.
  • And ISIS claim responsibility for things they knew nothing about.
  • Terrorists at a power war against each other, why don't they just fight to the death amongst themselves?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2015
  • IA said:

And ISIS claim responsibility for things they knew nothing about.

ISIS claim they are responsible for delay to Sparrows Lane development.

And to all delays next week on Southeastern trains.
  • Terrorists at a power war against each other, why don't they just fight to the death amongst themselves?

Syria/ Iraq? Many of the Shi'a militia fighting Daesh are the same that fought in the insurgency against US and UK troops in Iraq. Iranian backed Hezbollah who in turn back the Syrian regime are hardly known for their friendly outlook on the Western powers.
    On top of that you have Hamas and Daesh beginning a duel in Gaza. I could go on but the point is that much
    of the fighting is inter group and in some cases intra group.
  • When did they start to be called Daesh ?

• MrOneLung said:

When did they start to be called Daesh ?

John Kerry has been calling them that for about a year. I think the main idea is that the US doesnt want to be in a war with "Islamic State" as that sends the wrong messages.

It also helps that they're annoyed when they're called Daesh. I've not switched yet but I might switch soon
  • UK one of few places that doesn't. See Hollande's speeches.
  • Apparently they want to cut out the tongue of anyone that calls them daesh, sickos.
  • Apparently they want to cut out the tongue of anyone that calls them daesh, sickos.

daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh
  • Daesh it is then. The wider it's used, the better although I do prefer the acronym that BBW used, USIS (unislamic ...).
  • daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh daesh