Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Fans of Big Clubs....

Always get bad press from other fans, yet the actual game goers have surprised me a few times last couple of years. Chelsea fans have vocally been behind Mourinho through this dire season, and were singing continually through the 2nd half when two down tonight. Fair to say a lot of us (and fans of many other clubs) would have been quiet or out the exits by then.

Thought similarly with Man U fans when it went wrong with Moyes the other year. And the gooners I've seen singing throughout away games when they've been playing poorly and losing.

Perhaps it's the armchair jobbies that give them the bad name.

Comments

• I think you said it with the last sentence. But... We'll see how loyal they are If the rot continues
  • always had a bit of a soft spot for Chelsea fans despite getting a mild kicking in Lee Green years ago for being in the right pub at the wrong time .. When we were at Wembley, a lot of Chelsea fans known to friends of mine were there cheering for us .. they called it a 'London Thing' .. mind you that was a LONG time ago ..
    Spurs fans tend to be loyal as well .. not so sure about the Gunners, feel they are more fickle .. the northerners ? .. Geordies turn up in their thousands game after game and they've had fuck all to cheer about for centuries it seems other than the odd promotion .. not a lot for such a huge club .. northerners generally are loyal .. I would say they are more 'tribal' than southerners .. but must not generalise too much
  • If Charlton had won league titles, European cups and domestic cups over long periods of time I think I could handle having the odd crap season. and when I get the chance to go to an away game (cos tickets are hard to come by) I think I will still try make a good time of it.
  • If we sung a quarter of the amount of times those clubs sing it'd be a lot more than we do and it's not just 10 pissed fellas when they sing
    Arsenal @ Sheff Wed in the league cup were brilliant despite a hammering
  • It's gobby armchair fans Dan you are right, when they find it hilarious to say "Oh you're the one" when you tell them who you support. And even those that go hundreds of miles to home matches when they should support their local team. It's always Man Utd or Arsenal that they happen to latch on to, oddly...
  • Listened to 5Live phone in for a while just after Man Utd lost to Bournemouth. They are 4th, in CL places but the phone in was full of anger and vitriol. What I honestly found difficult to understand (as a supporter of a local club who has gone to home games forever) is how these people could get so wound up about a club most of them never go to watch live. There were people phoning in from Sheffield, Leeds, London etc... In fact, every where but Manchester.

All I could think was... You're from Sheffield, two great clubs... Go watch one. You're from Leeds, one great club... Go watch them... Etc.

I mean, really I just don't get it. I work with people the same. Had one colleague who was United and he would come to work steaming if they lost the night before. Yet he lived in Eltham and had never been to manchester, let along Old Trafford.
  • The match prices and demand for price tickets narrows those down who actually go to these matches to the real die-hards, not people just looking for something to do. Most of the reason why, however if you somehow had a stadium big enough to fit all of their fans in, vocally for their numbers they'd be out by a lot of 'smaller' teams.

Also hence why they get so angry if and when losing, the amount they spend following them is astounding... Probably treble or more in total what hardcore supporters of say us would spend in a season, Season Ticket price + inflated big match prices.
  • they was talking quite similar on talk sport yesterday, they was saying that pay 4 or so PL grounds away fans are louder.
  • Terrible isn't it... 16th in the League and last 16 of the Champions League... Don't know how they cope

Same with Arsenal fans, what have they seriously got to moan about?

Still see it as an insult when Sky mention how loyal the fans of big clubs are when you look down the Leagues and see fans of Portsmouth, Luton etc. going through worse yet providing their life savings to ensure the club survives.
  • Sponsored links:

• cousin is a lifelong chelsea fan follows them home and away so remembers when they weren't that great, he didnt purposely choose to support a club with a multi billionaire owner, having been chelsea a few times in last couple of season when his mate cant go so i use his season ticket, usually midweek games, i can see why the loyal fans hate it, its full of rich toffs or tourists that have bought tickets off of touts, for me i know were in a bit of shit postion atm, but would i ever want abromovich no i wouldnt same goes for man city, theres no achievement to buying the league and turning your ground into a tourist attraction, give me the 1998 play off final anyday.
  • I have a few Chelsea mates who are the same. However, ever since the "swinging sixties" Chelsea were a trendy club, it was "cool" for people from the provinces to follow them. They didn't pick Fulham or QPR. They are still glory hunters.
  • I think they have a right to be pissed off as their expectations are higher. If your expectation isn't met you get hacked off.

Bit like us expecting to be mid table Championship but we're not happy that we're fighting relegation. Yeovil or Rochdale would be delirious to be in our position.

What does hack me off about big club fans is that they appear to think they know much more about football tactically than fans of smaller clubs.
  • The amount of games they have to go to get tickets is staggering, when you factor in the kick off times and ticket prices...Fair enough they see decent football, but overall they're far better fans than those at smaller clubs. Obviously that only applies to the regular away goers.
  • Its easier to stick around when your seeing World Class Players and mostly winning though.

i.e. I bet many wouldn't mind our current position if we had Eden Hazard or Fabregas in the side
  • I bet many wouldn't mind our current position if we had Eden Hazard

More Belgiums??? RD out.
  • edited December 2015
    IA said:

I bet many wouldn't mind our current position if we had Eden Hazard

More Belgiums??? RD out.
    Hate to tell you but I've heard we're signing Kompany and De Bruyne too...

EDIT: Sorry that was a typo I meant company for de Bauer ;)
  • This is where it becomes difficult with the whole support your club because if that were the case id support Brighton. Although I think I get off the hook for going to a number of home and away games each season. I have no interest in supporting Brighton if anything it makes me dislike them more especially the stick I was on the receiving end of a few weeks back which was also particularly when we lost 4-0 to them when Parky was manager. Admittedly they all support one of the big four and never cared about Brighton until the Amex, God I hate them
  • Not in my opinion SMW28. I only have a "problem" with people who follow huge successful clubs, because they only follow them because they are huge successful clubs. Supporting a random normal club for whatever reason is perfectly acceptable. I don't understand "hating" your local club when you choose not to support them though, I must admit.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2015
    Armchair fans who follow big clubs are probably my biggest hate in the game. Particularly those who slag off smaller clubs, including those like Watford and Bournemouth who have fought hard to get where they are.

Their repetitive chat usually revolves on three things:

- The title
    - Who's going to finish 'top four'
    - Trying to play Fantasy Chairman by talking how their club should buy this or that player for £40 million.

I hate these people with a passion.
  • Not in my opinion SMW28. I only have a "problem" with people who follow huge successful clubs, because they only follow them because they are huge successful clubs. Supporting a random normal club for whatever reason is perfectly acceptable. I don't understand "hating" your local club when you choose not to support them though, I must admit.

Hate probably too stronger word but more of a rivalry as a lot of friends support them. Most other friends support a premiership club. If Brighton got promoted I'd be cheering them all the way in the Premier League.