Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Travel Iran

Anybody been? I've heard fantastic reports about the place not only its beauty but the friendliness. Esfahan, Shiraz and Tabiz sound great in themselves.
I am planning a trip there either later this year or next. VISA extortionate price £310 (£180 visa + £130 courier). But this is probably due to no Iranian embassy in the UK - nearest Ireland. Anyone heard whether tgere are plans to reopen up the embassy here?

Comments

• I am thinking about going this summer as a mate of mine is Iranian and has a lot of family over there etc and he keeps telling me how much I would love it. We would be going to Shiraz I think as that's where most of his family is. Done a fair bit of research on it and it sounds amazing. It is meant to be the next hit for tourism over the next few years and has seen massive increases of tourism lately. I have been reading reviews of a lot of people over the last few months who also say how beautiful it is and how welcoming Iranian people are, looking forward to experiencing 'the famous iranian hospitality', keep seeing that phrase on almost every review i've read. My friend explained to me how the wine in Shiraz is amazing too and almost everyone drinks it there despite alcohol being illegal!

As for the visas i haven't looked into that yet but I think I saw something somewhere that you can get a visa from the Swedish embassy over here? Not entirely sure though.
  • Interesting about the wine. I've heard that alcohol is the biggest drug in Iran but not sure it would be a wise move; Iranian police watching tourist like a hawk.
  • When the helicopters come to pick you up - don't get in the ones that are on fire. They are Americans and have difficulty with complex machinery.
  • Thomas cook will soon have a hotel there .........................not sure if it is a place I would go to so soon after sanctions being lifted there will still be some peeps bearing grudges,
  • jdsd42 said:

Thomas cook will soon have a hotel there .........................not sure if it is a place I would go to so soon after sanctions being lifted there will still be some peeps bearing grudges,

peeps?
  • jdsd42 said:

Thomas cook will soon have a hotel there .........................not sure if it is a place I would go to so soon after sanctions being lifted there will still be some peeps bearing grudges,

Please tell me that's a burka joke ;-)

On a serious note what the poster above says about not taking money to go there, absolutely.
  • What does Reza think?
  • I have other holidays higher on the agenda.
  • I can honestly say you couldn't pay me to visit it

Was Christmas / Florida etc as good as expected?
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:

Interesting about the wine. I've heard that alcohol is the biggest drug in Iran but not sure it would be a wise move; Iranian police watching tourist like a hawk.

Friend of mine who went as a tourist and isn't Iranian went clubbing and said people were drinking alcohol a lot more then you would expect. I would definitely take care though.
  • I can honestly say you couldn't pay me to visit it

And would you ever be allowed to visit the USA afterwards?
  • I work as a travel agent , and I've got a couple of Iranian agencies I work with. I generally work inbound, bringing the Iranian tourists into Spain, but the companies I work with are very keen to bring westerners in to visit Iran. As was mentioned earlier, it is supposed to be the coming place in tourism.
  • PL54 said:

I can honestly say you couldn't pay me to visit it

Was Christmas / Florida etc as good as expected?

Better mate holiday of a life time unreal experience gutted to be home but memories made that will live within me forever
  • Definitely on my list of places to visit, with its stunning architecture (and relative security when compared to much of the region), though not until Reza stops getting himself deliberately (allegedly) sent off!
  • Having been to Riyadh and most of Saudi, Tehran is a lot more welcoming and friendly in comparison.

I was only there for a short while but would happily go back again.
  • cafcfan said:

I can honestly say you couldn't pay me to visit it

And would you ever be allowed to visit the USA afterwards?
    I'm not allowed to visit the USA anyway but every yank tosser who wants can come here...I feel like a stranger in my own country sometimes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Only ever heard great things about people going to Iran. From pictures as well it looks like a gorgeous country. Definitely want to visit there, just don't have the cajones to go.
  • Sure

I didn't want to be the first to put a downer on this.

But with all the other thousands of places anyone can go to.

I fail to understand why anyone would want to holiday in Iran or any other potentially volatile country like Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan ......

What is the attraction of going to Iran rather than the thousands of safer, beautiful and friendly countries ?

Genuine question. Because I wouldn't go, if you paid me thousands.

I guess it's horses for courses, but I could not agree with you more,

Good luck ro whoever goes and I hope you all come home safe from the trip, but to me it's a bit to close to chaos for My liking
  • I didn't want to be the first to put a downer on this.

But with all the other thousands of places anyone can go to.

I fail to understand why anyone would want to holiday in Iran or any other potentially volatile country like Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan ......

What is the attraction of going to Iran rather than the thousands of safer, beautiful and friendly countries ?

Genuine question. Because I wouldn't go, if you paid me thousands.

Depending on what interests you, Iran has thousands of years of history worth investigating. Persepolis would be one of the ancient cities I'd really like to see and, unlike Leptis Magna, Sabratha or Palmyra, is in a safe country...

Also, there is the benefit of being one of the first/rare tourists. People will be much more welcoming than,say, Greece.

I've been to Lebanon a couple of times, and it's amazing what there is to see there. Baalbek is incredible, and while the Bekaa Valley may not be top of anyone's to see list, it's incredible.

Apart from that, it's fascinating to people watch and see what's the same or different in another culture..
  • I used to work with an Iranian. I've never going there for a holiday.No thank you very much.
  • Yes, I understand the beauty. It's the volatility in the middle east, that I don't fancy.
  • LOL at people saying Iran has civil unrest like Libya, Iraq or Syria. It's one of, if not the most stable countries in the region.

I guess you'd all rather go to Dubai since it has more whites and less of those horrible Arabs who you find so terrifying

Probably not good examples, it's getting late. But I didn't say civil unrest, I said, "potentially volatile country like Libya, Iraq, Afghanistan ......".
  • Yes, I understand the beauty. It's the volatility in the middle east, that I don't fancy.

That's fair enough. Iran is not an especially dangerous place to go right now, nowhere near the risks of Libya, Iraq etc, and probably safer than Egypt, Tunisia or Turkey. But by all means it's more risky than most European/North American destinations.

If you would rule out all of Iran because of 'security in the Middle East', then I think logically you would have to rule out Dubai and Abu Dhabi too. That in itself would be a reasonable thing to do.

If you rule it out because you're not interested in the archaeology or landscape and it's far away, then that's reasonable too.
  • I guess it is just the Middle East as a whole that puts people off but believe it or not you can even go to Iraq and have a great time, the south of Iraq which is pretty far from any ISIS presents would be relatively safe and most is government controlled and stable. However wouldn't advise anyone to go myself to Iraq.

Lebanon, Oman, Iran are all massive hits with tourism but some people would think of those countries as no go areas, but it just depends on what you are looking for I suppose.

I know people who would also say what NLA said about Iran to places like Colombia, Brazil or Peru yet they are also countries I'd love to visit.

Just a case of each to their own.