Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Bit of medical/cosmetic advice please.

14 year old daughter has pierced her own nose. Should I be worried?

It's been 2 days and no swelling or redness as of yet, but if did bleed a lot on the day.

Comments

• edited January 2016
    Was that with a gun or needle? I only ask as we were out with a couple of friends and they happen to start talking about piercings and one said that mouth or nose piercings where better done by needle.
  • I think you just look out for swelling and/or infection the way you would with any professional piercing.
  • That's what I thought Dave.
    Hastings she done it with an earring she just rammed it in.
  • That's what I thought Dave.
    Hastings she done it with an earring she just rammed it in.

Oh well I'm sure she will be fine, just keep an eye on it...must have been painful.
  • She's a bit crazy like that, scary really, claims it never hurt much.
  • Hey Sadie, it's positive, that the wound seems to heal poperly so far, but as have been said, be aware of tenderness, pain, redness and swelling (all signs of infection). Just made a quick google search on the subject and this seems like a decent article - maybe it could be helpful :smile:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/176701-how-to-care-for-a-newly-pierced-nose/
  • Struth Sadie, I watched JJ get castrated before Christmas. But that was nothing to what you just said. Ouch........ :(
  • Thanks Sasquatch
  • I used to drink in the Prince Albert
  • Sponsored links:

• If her nose doesn't fall off in the next 24 hours it should be ok.
  • If it was me, I'd try and get her to have it checked out. Might be difficult persuading a 14 year old but you'd always kick yourself if it did get infected etc.
  • You're right on both counts @DaveMehmet
  • @sadiejane1981 I would say it's basic wound care. Have her clean the wound with anti-septic (i.e. rubbing alcohol) three times a day. I'd also have her putting anti-bacterial ointment on it. That should help prevent infection. It's good that it's been a couple days with no ill effects, but it's still a hole in the body so there's an infection risk.

I should add my mum is a dermatologist so what I'm saying might be slightly overkill, so if you tell her clean it and put ointment on it 3 times a day and she does it once or twice, that should be fine. I'm pretty sure that was my mum's trick with me...
  • T.C.E said:

Struth Sadie, I watched JJ get castrated before Christmas. But that was nothing to what you just said. Ouch........ :(

Blimers !

That's why he's been a tad off the pace the last few games !

As Colin said his leg had gone
  • I'm by no means an expert in piercings, but I'm not sure rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide are a good idea. The two liquids are harsh on open wounds and can actually prolong the healing process, because of its effect on healthy cells, that are trying to make it heal. The alcohol should rather be used topically for disinfecting skin. Saline, regular water and mild soap might be better for cleaning - and then of course contact your doctor if anything seems suspicious!
  • Thanks for all the advice, told her to keep it clean and use salt water. So far it looks ok but sightly red. She's done it too low down for my liking though but is stuck with it now the silly mare.
  • Thanks for all the advice, told her to keep it clean and use salt water. So far it looks ok but sightly red. She's done it too low down for my liking though but is stuck with it now the silly mare.

If it's too low Sadie, maybe she should get another one higher up? Maybe do the other side of her nose whilst she's at it?? :wink: