Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

HMO'S

Anybody know anything about these ? My neighbour sold there property in the summer to whom we didn't know.A week before christmas work starts on a new extension without myself or the neighbour the other side being notified. Whilst knocking the old outside toilet down which adjoins my property a few cracks started in our extension ceiling, I hadn't been given a party wall agreement, so I went and had a word with the builders, who are all foreign and speak very little English, I managed to get the telephone number of the boss, who palmed me off to the property amangement company he was working for.They advised they didn't need to give me one as they wouldn't be building against my wall and not going below my foundations (since comfirmed with a party wall surveyor). At this time I contacted the council planning department, who confirmed plans had been submitted for a 3 metre extension and change of the internal building to a home of multiple occupants.

The foundations they were digging however were 5 metres,we contacted planning investigation who told them they had to stop and submit plans for a 5 metres extension, this has now been done and we had a letter this week to put forward any objections. The trouble is as I have a 5 metre extension, there is very little I can
appeal against, as the appeal process will only consider appeal against the extension being built as opposed to the fact they will turn it into a HMO.The neighbour on the other side is appealing against her view being obsurced.

We have spoken to planning investigation who said when they apply for a HMO license we can then appeal that, but that will be after all the internal work has been done, and the property management company say they work with councils anyway to house the premises. The other neighbour on the advice of planning invrstigation has been getting pallying with the builders just to find out exactly what is going to be inside. Well the property is a middle terrace of 3, and has 3 bedrooms and one being a small boxroom.They are changing the fucking house into 6 self contained units each with a shower and toilet and a shared kitched upstairs which adjoins the wall of my daughters bedroom.

We are going to have a constant change of people living there and the most probably the noise and mess will be a nightmare.The missus is already looking at other properties but the value of ours will drop. I have spent the last 18 years gradually doing things to the house and have just got it how I want it, the thought of having to move and start again makes me feel sick.

The poxy council only sent two appeal letters out one to me and one to the other neighbour but won't consider appeals unless more than two people appeal.I have photocopied the letter and given it to the other 20 people who live in our close, and hopefully most will also appeal.We live in a nice close, what these people are trying to do just doen't fit into the kind of road we are in.

Unless I had contacted the council and found out about the intention of a HMO we would never have known until it was all done and dusted, how the hell can this be allowed to happen.

This country is fast becoming a fucking joke.

Comments

• I work as a planning enforcement officer for Greenwich council and deal with HMOs a lot I have about 50 HMO cases on my desk and God knows however many else for various other things pm me your address and I'll see if there is a case on this and I'll make a visit.
  • Send the boys round mate, and make the builders leave
  • mate, I wouldn't trust the lot employing them, from your neck of the woods based in Enfield/Tottenham, not sue if they are Albanians or something like that.
  • edited January 2016
    I'm sure we could find some stewards to help
  • I recently had a chat with an environmental health officer from Newham. She described the housing situation in London as being Dickensian. Her worst house had 40 people living in it. I'd keep an eye on what they're building at the end of the garden too if they build any sort of shed you'll be having people living in that too.
  • If they get the 5 metre extension they wont have a bloody garden which means in the summer they will all be out the front on the house
  • edited January 2016
    QUOTE ... This country is fast becoming a fucking joke .. UNQUOTE ...
    the 'authorities' have no time for the average/middle/working 'class' man / family .. you're just a sitting duck for the tax man to collect PAYE, N I, Council Tax, VAT, Vehicle Licence Tax, TV Licence and all the other legalised scams ..
    on the other hand, if you're poor, an immigrant, can't speak English, have loads of children and don't/can't work, or conversely if you're wealthy and can afford 'protection', then it seems that not enough can be done for you, help is at hand ..

I digress .. we have a situation where 'Call Me Dave' has to go cap in hand to the Czech and Slovak governments to ask permission for the UK government to change the benefit rules for non British EEC nationals coming to the UK .. w t f !!!!

the answer ? .. consider who you vote for at the next general election and in the EEC membership referendum .. I appreciate that this will not immediately help your present situation .. consult a property lawyer, if you can afford one .. your property is being damaged by outside factors beyond your control ? .. perhaps a prohibition order on further work could be obtained .. good luck @northstandsteve and don't let the bastards get you too down
  • It's all that's going on round here, someone has built a house in the rear of his garden that has three studio apartments in it, his garden was around 150 ft by 30 ft, and now he has feck all and the flats have nothing, Yet the houses next door to it and those whose gardens look onto the building get to see it every day. As for Albanians we certainly have a high number
  • We had one the other day where there were 19 people in each of these 3 houses in Woolwich. 4 bunk beds per room.
  • QUOTE ... This country is fast becoming a fucking joke .. UNQUOTE ...
    the 'authorities' have no time for the average/middle/working 'class' man / family .. you're just a sitting duck for the tax man to collect PAYE, N I, Council Tax, VAT, Vehicle Licence Tax, TV Licence and all the other legalised scams ..
    on the other hand, if you're poor, an immigrant, can't speak English, have loads of children and don't/can't work, or conversely if you're wealthy and can afford 'protection', then it seems that not enough can be done for you, help is at hand ..

I digress .. we have a situation where 'Call Me Dave' has to go cap in hand to the Czech and Slovak governments to ask permission for the UK government to change the benefit rules for non British EEC nationals coming to the UK .. w t f !!!!

the answer ? .. consider who you vote for at the next general election and in the EEC membership referendum .. I appreciate that this will not immediately help your present situation .. consult a property lawyer, if you can afford one .. your property is being damaged by outside factors beyond your control ? .. perhaps a prohibition order on further work could be obtained .. good luck @northstandsteve and don't let the bastards get you too down

Don't think for a second that Dave and his pals care about the poor and the immigrants in the slightest. They're a means to an end. Previous Tory governments sold off all the public housing stock, which means if councils need to house people then they have to pay highly inflated rent to private landlords. Guess what, lots of MPs are landlords, as are a lot of Dave's mates. So the Tory's don't really want to stop immigration, it provides cheaper workers and never ending rental income.
  • Sponsored links:

• Another thing she told me is that the housing situation is so bad that they'll let almost anything go because the alternative is putting families on the streets. Open borders and a non contributory welfare state are to blame but too many people are in denial to do anything about it.
  • coincidently, this email arrived in my inbox this morning .. I hope it comes out in fairly readable format: .. It seems that an Englishman's home is no longer his castle, merely his potential hotel >>>>

An offer from a partner of Is this email displaying correctly?
    View in your browser.

Nethouseprices partner offer from Progressive Property.

Hi,

There's a game-changing property investing strategy becoming massively popular with new and experienced landlords, in towns and cities across the UK right now...

Why is it so popular?

Because it solves ALL the usual headaches that make property investing another JOB for many investors…

And the best bit?

It's allows YOU to offer the type of property service that attracts the IDEAL type of 'tenants' - young professionals who will happily pay you upfront premiums for your rooms!

Just look at this:

How To Turn A House Into A Hands-free "Hotel" Business - making up to £1,000 cashflow per month! (taking up NONE of your own time)

It's simple, quick and profitable.

And the crazy thing is... this strategy was created by an investor in Scotland!

That's why new and experienced investors across the UK are acting quickly to copy the exact system outlined in this report:
    (by the way, there's currently no charge for downloading a copy)

Forget 'problem tenants', 'voids' 'rent arrears’ and dealing with expensive letting agents who want to drain every penny of your profit...!

This strategy puts YOU in control.

And you can apply this to your existing Buy-To-Let properties to make 300 - 500% MORE cashflow from each one.

Oh, and… talking to your friends and colleagues about your "string of private hotels"… doesn't sound too bad, does it?

Discover how to build your own highly profitable "Hilton" empire, without the big upfront costs, right here:

How To Turn A House Into A Hands-free "Hotel" Business - making up to £1,000 cashflow per month! (taking up NONE of your own time)

Here’s to your success

Paul Smith

• Paul Smith

He makes some lovely shirts!