Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Relegation Roger

Still for me has to be the worst signing of the season - having watched him under-perform for us before I still can't believe we went on to resign him.
Supposedly a good player in his day but have seen little evidence to support it.

Comments

• Dunno... Rhys Williams and Conor McAleny have to give him a good run for his money? i.e.

- Rhys Williams, signed on loan to get fit and match time... the fact that we played Hull would have been a great help for Middlesbrough had we won, instead he set up their first goal for them

- Conor McAleny, that miss against Fulham, whilst you've got to be awful if at a young age your already being called spongefoot in memory of Simon Church!!
  • Dunno... Rhys Williams and Conor McAleny have to give him a good run for his money? i.e.

- Rhys Williams, signed on loan to get fit and match time... the fact that we played Hull would have been a great help for Middlesbrough had we won, instead he set up their first goal for them

- Conor McAleny, that miss against Fulham, whilst you've got to be awful if at a young age your already being called spongefoot in memory of Simon Church!!

The reason I put Roger top is that we'd seen how poor he was in his previous spell - to resign him was utter madness.

• I thought he was quite good in his first spell... The disappointing factor was his broken ribs that he played through.

I guess he did have Tal Ben-Haim alongside him though, had we kept him we'd have a lot less issues this season
  • He was ok for us last season. He's been dossing around in the Indian league and isnt up to speed. Problem is we need him to be.

18 month contract is mental. Probably should have offered him that 12 months ago.

Unfortunately our CEO has a complete lack of negotiating nous.
  • Roger was decent at the start of his time with us last year but he did start creaking towards the end of his spell and I don't think too many people were upset to see him go. Bringing him back is nuts.
  • Another way of looking at the 18 month contract is that it is the equivalent of having given him a two-year deal last summer - which presumably was never an option.
  • Another way of looking at the 18 month contract is that it is the equivalent of having given him a two-year deal last summer - which presumably was never an option.

Katrien will be giving herself a bonus on such a good deal ... saving six month's salary and bringing back a high-class football who is a favourite with the fans. Everyone's a winner.
  • I think he's alright, but I can imagine he's cheap and certainly shouldn't be a starting CB. 18 months is madness as well.

Less of these signings and you've got to think that we wouldn't have to loan Watt out.
  • Joe Gomez made him look good.
  • Sponsored links:

• he'll be ok in League 1

anyone with the pace, touch and calmness of jogo would make anyone look good in defence with them.

anyone with the pace, touch and calmness of jogo would make anyone look good in defence with them.

JoGo and SloJo ........ this time last season's dream pairing at CB

• Seem to remember he played a 'blinder' against Bournemouth
    last season!!!!!
  • He was pretty good in the spell last season, we turned the corner from his debut.
  • Think in the present. His pace is funereal
  • He was pretty good in the spell last season, we turned the corner from his debut.

Problem is it takes him about ten minutes longer to turn the corner now

Unfair on Conor. One of the highlights of this season was watching a professional footballer catch a ball mid play!
  • On 2 January 2016, Williams was loaned to Charlton Athletic, initially for 28 days. Available for Rotherham game, whoopee
  • Sponsored links:

• He may be available but I'd be surprised if he played unless we have several midfield/defence injuries during the game
  • Roger Johnson has been the worst signing of any team at any time in the football league

Cheers
  • Still at least he is on an 18 month contract. That's got to be positive. Oh.
  • In all fairness to RJ, if any of you have seen the Indian Premier League, then it is hardly surprising that he is going to take time to get up to Championship pace (which of course we don't have).

I half watched some of the games, and not only was it played at walking pace, but most of the foreign players were literally a decade past their best - ie Lucio, Pires and Roberto Carlos.

Allied to that, the standard of most of the local players was woeful, and at a guess I would say not much better than say a good senior football Saturday side (eg VCD, Crayford or Phoenix etc).
  • It also shows how lazy we are at recruiting players.

"Just get someone in we already know, it's January FFS I'm tired and cold. Preferably a player where we rejected the idea of them continuing with us at the time"
  • Charlton’s little black book of contacts must be a very thin volume indeed. Starting with CP, Roland has systematically dismantled football knowledge from the management side of the club.
  • The one point in his favour is that we were shit before he arrived. That's my defence of the man. After that, I go back into default mode and demand to know who looked at his current form and thought 'we were right to let him go last summer...it gave him a kick up the backside to get better and faster and he is now just what we need for the next year and a half'. Slate the player by all means, but the mugs are the ones who signed him, presumably paid his club acompensation and offered him 18 months contract. If KM choosess to sign that sort of player, she should get the blame.