Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Beyond belief

This week to me has highlighted how much of a car crash of a club we have become.
In the space of just five days we have been told that Watt isn't going anywhere and then is loaned out to another club after Cardiff couldn't stump up the cash. This would lead me to believe that the deal was spoken about after the game last Saturday.

To top it off we have had two players who were set to join us. Firstly a Feeny is in talks, for him to have had them talks an offer would have had to be accepted by his club. News then broke that we never followed up the offer.
We then have national and local press stating Oxford had signed on loan for then Riga to veto the deal.
Where is this information coming from, why is it being leaked before a decision has been agreed by all parties.

Compound this week with signing a player we never wanted at the end of last season and then proceed to give him a 18 month contract, bring in a player who has spent a year on the physios treatment table and is clearly not match fit but both have appeared in games where we have been knocked out the cup by a team who had worst defence record at the time, and then proceed to get smashed not beat but smashed by 5-0 and 6-0.

Riga is then appointed as manager and takes over from in my opinion the worst manager ever to grace our dugout. The same Riga that wasn't offered a full time after keeping us up, but then was good enough to manage Liege.

I just can't get my head around all of this and the fact that we are being consistently criticised on national media it amaze's me how this woman keeps her job.

Will ever go back to ever just being a normal run club.

Comments

• Am I right in thinking that under this lot, we still haven't paid a single transfer fee to an English club? In over 2 years, that's double shite
  • edited January 2016
    Sadly @WhenIwasLittleBoy this, in my opinion, is the thin edge of a wedge. I don't know of any businessman, other than ones that asset strip, that act the way RD is now. I have given my thoughts on another thread, and now, for me, his plan is nearing fruition, I will copy my other comment below-:

I reckon RD's plan is coming to fruition nicely.....get relegated by not improving team other than the odd token gesture, sell off good players in the summer, replace with journeymen and kids, become a good to middling League 1 side, hope to have a small cup run, reduced crowds would mean reduced costs on Police, stewarding, refreshments, away supporters, programs etc. Close JS stand and rebuild with some residential flats within it. Put small away following in reduced capacity JS stand, sell or lease flats. End of next season, due to still being in League 1, do exactly the same again (without the JS stand/flats piece) and continue along these lines................................what a crock of shit that will be!!
  • Am I right in thinking that under this lot, we still haven't paid a single transfer fee to an English club? In over 2 years, that's double shite

Duchatakets said at the beginning why strengthen your rivals by giving them money! He doesn't see that you get a player you want that should weaken them because he is all money.

Ba's transfer from Sunderland is listed as undisclosed, but I think that's the only one.
  • Sadly @WhenIwasLittleBoy this, in my opinion, is the thin edge of a wedge. I don't know of any businessman, other than ones that asset strip, that act the way RD is now. I have given my thoughts on another thread, and now, for me, his plan is nearing fruition, I will copy my other comment below-:

I reckon RD's plan is coming to fruition nicely.....get relegated by not improving team other than the odd token gesture, sell off good players in the summer, replace with journeymen and kids, become a good to middling League 1 side, hope to have a small cup run, reduced crowds would mean reduced costs on Police, stewarding, refreshments, away supporters, programs etc. Close JS stand and rebuild with some residential flats within it. Put small away following in reduced capacity JS stand, sell or lease flats. End of next season, due to still being in League 1, do exactly the same again (without the JS stand/flats piece) and continue along these lines................................what a crock of shit that will be!!

If I am lead to believe he is one of the richest men in Belguim I would hate to see what one of the poorest must be like. There is no logic into this mans thinking, no financial or motivational gain. He has kicked the life out of this club and it is now no surprise why he doesn't attend matches because if he did now he would be lynched. This is why he also put a woman in charge in the knowledge that she would only get vocal abuse.
    Murrey can no longer look fans in the eye and all that he had achieved has been undone over the last few years.
    She must have skin thicker than a crocodile to ignore the fans protests, opinions and in the knowledge that she is ruining a club.
    There must come a point in any humans life where they sit down in the cold light of day and admit they have screwed up and are out of depth, and would be best to step down before their future career is left in total tatters.
  • Is there a week that has gone by without the club screwing up one thing or another ?
  • Boysie said:

Is there a week that has gone by without the club screwing up one thing or another ?

In the Duchatelet era, I think you might want to refine your query to day...

But, in any event, the answer is no.
  • Sadly @WhenIwasLittleBoy this, in my opinion, is the thin edge of a wedge. I don't know of any businessman, other than ones that asset strip, that act the way RD is now. I have given my thoughts on another thread, and now, for me, his plan is nearing fruition, I will copy my other comment below-:

If I am lead to believe he is one of the richest men in Belguim I would hate to see what one of the poorest must be like. There is no logic into this mans thinking, no financial or motivational gain. He has kicked the life out of this club and it is now no surprise why he doesn't attend matches because if he did now he would be lynched. This is why he also put a woman in charge in the knowledge that she would only get vocal abuse.
    Murrey can no longer look fans in the eye and all that he had achieved has been undone over the last few years.
    She must have skin thicker than a crocodile to ignore the fans protests, opinions and in the knowledge that she is ruining a club.
    There must come a point in any humans life where they sit down in the cold light of day and admit they have screwed up and are out of depth, and would be best to step down before their future career is left in total tatters.
    Clearly there isn't in all cases
  • kentred2 said:

Am I right in thinking that under this lot, we still haven't paid a single transfer fee to an English club? In over 2 years, that's double shite

Duchatakets said at the beginning why strengthen your rivals by giving them money! He doesn't see that you get a player you want that should weaken them because he is all money.
    Then, why strengthen your rivals by loaning them one of your best players?
  • Sponsored links:

• kentred2 said:

Am I right in thinking that under this lot, we still haven't paid a single transfer fee to an English club? In over 2 years, that's double shite

Well, he raises a good question. Perhaps he'll understand why more and more fans are boycotting.
  • edited January 2016

You're forgetting that beast that is... Franck Moussa.

Edit: Wikipedia says he was a free transfer. Depressingly you seem to be bang on the money - http://www.transferleague.co.uk/charlton-athletic/english-football-teams/charlton-athletic-transfers
  • I don't think we ever were told Watt wasn't going anywhere. Riga said he would like to keep him if he is focused but that it was up to the board. Writing was [probably on the wall with that one, although not entirely sure why we played him on Saturday if there was no intention to keep him.

Jose Riga insists that a fully committed Tony Watt has a future at Charlton.

The 22-year-old striker returned to the Addicks earlier in the week following his loan spell at Cardiff.

Watt, who signed for Charlton last January, impressed Cardiff chiefs and was strongly linked with a permanent move before the Bluebirds were hit with a transfer embargo.

When asked whether the Scot will leave this month, new manager Riga said: “It is difficult to say but for me I repeat what I have said before, we know Tony.

“He of course has the abilities to be decisive.

“His football skills I have no doubt about, after that I cannot always master what are his intentions.

“If he’s fully committed with us then of course. He needs to be fully involved in what we need to do.”

These would suggest that Watt dosn't want to stay or the club want him off the wage bill. If I was a gambling man I know where I would put my money. Given the Oxford cock up it appears there a lack of communication only two weeks into the job.
  • kentred2 said:

Then, why strengthen your rivals by loaning them one of your best players?
    Because they will be paying us and in RD's world strength==money
  • I was just thinking, what I need is a post that condenses the past week's news about the club and to sum up how most of us are feeling. Cheers OP.
  • I don't think we ever were told Watt wasn't going anywhere. Riga said he would like to keep him if he is focused but that it was up to the board. Writing was [probably on the wall with that one, although not entirely sure why we played him on Saturday if there was no intention to keep him.

why has this been flagged?
  • cabbles said:

I don't think we ever were told Watt wasn't going anywhere. Riga said he would like to keep him if he is focused but that it was up to the board. Writing was [probably on the wall with that one, although not entirely sure why we played him on Saturday if there was no intention to keep him.

.. Twice.

It was a pretty valid post.

The 22-year-old striker returned to the Addicks earlier in the week following his loan spell at Cardiff.

Watt, who signed for Charlton last January, impressed Cardiff chiefs and was strongly linked with a permanent move before the Bluebirds were hit with a transfer embargo.

When asked whether the Scot will leave this month, new manager Riga said: “It is difficult to say but for me I repeat what I have said before, we know Tony.

“His football skills I have no doubt about, after that I cannot always master what are his intentions.

“If he’s fully committed with us then of course. He needs to be fully involved in what we need to do.”

These would suggest that Watt dosn't want to stay or the club want him off the wage bill. If I was a gambling man I know where I would put my money. Given the Oxford cock up it appears there a lack of communication only two weeks into the job.
    Which backs up pretty much what I said, in Riga's opinion there's room for Watt in the squad, but there is no promise he is staying.

We've all gotten used to football managers' speak, and we can all read between the lines at what Riga is saying here. If he's committed, he stays. Technically, he's still with us but it seems that in the week+ he's been here Jose doesn't think he's committed. This is a far cry from us being told "Watt isn't going anywhere." I first read this, and still read this as, shape up or ship out.
  • Sponsored links:

Which backs up pretty much what I said, in Riga's opinion there's room for Watt in the squad, but there is no promise he is staying.

Your missing the point,,,,if you don't know what the situation is with the player then don't comment on the situation.

Your missing the point,,,,if you don't know what the situation is with the player then don't comment on the situation.
    He was asked a question in a press conference, is not as if he cold-called the Richard Cawley to tell him his thoughts on TW.

He's been as straight as you can possibly expect in his answer.
  • LuckyReds said:

cabbles said:

I don't think we ever were told Watt wasn't going anywhere. Riga said he would like to keep him if he is focused but that it was up to the board. Writing was [probably on the wall with that one, although not entirely sure why we played him on Saturday if there was no intention to keep him.

.. Twice.

I can't see anything in it worthy of a flag, even if you disagree with the post. It's probably one of the most innocuous posts I've ever read, just a normal viewpoint

Does this have anything to do with it?

I'm playing flag detective now as bored at work
  • edited January 2016
    There's a homeless bloke near me who's a Christian and really wants to be a priest.
    Beggars belief.
  • cabbles said:

LuckyReds said:

cabbles said:

.. Twice.

I can't see anything in it worthy of a flag, even if you disagree with the post. It's probably one of the most innocuous posts I've ever read, just a normal viewpoint

Does this have anything to do with it?

I'm playing flag detective now as bored at work
    Second this, completely innocuous...also must confess I went up there to double check I clicked "like" and not "flag" (we've all done it)
  • edited January 2016
    Appreciate your concern guys but I'll get over it!

I'm more concerned by hard hitting, tell it like is style (sic) is being dismissed as "probably one of the most innocuous posts I've ever read".

I think it's more 'cock up' than 'conspiracy' but worry that it's going to end very badly.

RD is convinced he knows best, despite the mounting evidence at all his clubs, but has started to realise that it's going to cost a lot more to run the club as a 'competitive championship club' than he realised and getting to the Premiership, which must have been his original game plan, is a pipe dream.

Sooner or later, he will look for an exit, though he'll never admit that publicly as it weakens his bargaining position. And one way or another he will get his money back, just like the last guys did, most easily by selling players. If he can get a property deal done, bonus. I doubt very much, given how money he has, that this was his original game plan - way too much trouble, time and risk. But it would have been his contingency plan. And his arrogance and pig headedness could take us to a very bad place before he admits he was wrong.