Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Hmmm, an American newspapers take on terrorism in Europe.
    It's bollocks.
  • Options
    The statement

"he could have escaped because of a law banning police raids on private homes from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m., according to the country’s justice minister."

Said loads about them to me.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
  • Options

It's bollocks.

Er, this is the New York times. The byline is proof that they're one of the few newspapers in the States (probably in the English language as a whole) who still have international bureaus.

Did anyone not know of the inefficiency of the Belgian government? They didn't have a Government for something like 15 months. The scenario they refer to is difficult to confirm. I'm sure it doesn't help police, but there doesn't seem to be any credible, verifiable evidence that this has somehow encouraged terrorism or could have prevent the attacks on Tuesday.

Lastly, this article is from December. I cannot find any updates.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

It's bollocks.

Er, this is the New York times. The byline is proof that they're one of the few newspapers in the States (probably in the English language as a whole) who still have international bureaus.

Did anyone not know of the inefficiency of the Belgian government? They didn't have a Government for something like 15 months. The scenario they refer to is difficult to confirm. I'm sure it doesn't help police, but there doesn't seem to be any credible, verifiable evidence that this has somehow encouraged terrorism or could have prevent the attacks on Tuesday.

Don't tell anyone (as a civil servant I found this hilarious), but the reports at the time suggested that Belgium prospered more without a Prime Minister and official government...
  • Options

SDAddick said:

It's bollocks.

Don't tell anyone (as a civil servant I found this hilarious), but the reports at the time suggested that Belgium prospered more without a Prime Minister and official government...
    I'd believe it. Everyone gets more done when the brass aren't around, public and private sector :).
  • Options
    Belgiums