Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic defender: I wanted loan exit for a while

edited March 2016 in General Charlton
Friday, 25 March 2016 By Richard Cawley in Football

Tareiq Holmes-Dennis has revealed he had been pushing for a loan exit from Charlton a fair while before his switch to Oldham.
The full-back, 20, moved to the League One strugglers last week and made his debut in a 3-2 defeat against Rochdale on Saturday.
Holmes-Dennis has struggled to get opportunities under head coach Jose Riga - enjoying more of a look-in under short-lived predecessor Karel Fraeye - but had to wait for the Addicks to bolster their left-sided options before he was allowed to go.

Just the first 3 paragraphs

Comments

• He said something similar at the start of the season, saying he expected to go out on loan to get game time. I've seen less of him than others, but I'm not quite as infatuated, and I think Fox is a better player at the moment. It's good we have squad depth which allows him to go out on loan and play matches to adjust to the pace and physicality of senior teams.
  • To be fair to the management, sending a 20 year old defender out on loan is hardly that odd a decision. With young full backs, it's easy for supporters to get excited about their attacking flair, as defensive deficiencies are harder for fans to notice.

I remember when Micah Richards was the next big thing, with his bombarding runs down the wing...sadly defensively he's never been good enough
  • To be fair to the management, sending a 20 year old defender out on loan is hardly that odd a decision. With young full backs, it's easy for supporters to get excited about their attacking flair, as defensive deficiencies are harder for fans to notice.

I remember when Micah Richards was the next big thing, with his bombarding runs down the wing...sadly defensively he's never been good enough

All good points. One thing I look out for in young English players is athleticism. If they seem to be exceptionally athletically gifted, I am automatically skeptical. Call this the Jack Rodwell, Micah Richards, Theo Wallcot, Aaron Lennon effect. All of them had a lot expected of them at a young age, and none of them ever really learned how to play the technical and mental side of football.

To be fair to Richards, in his year at City Sven did try teaching him how to play football and pass to teammates. Then, when Mancini took over he got him back into shape and playing as a good attacking right back. But his last maybe three years at City he was constantly injured, mostly his knees (commonplace of those athletically gifted at a young age) and it basically stalled his progress. At Villa he's gone backwards.

It's something I worried at bit about with Jordan Cousins when he was breaking through. I'd seen him at youth level for England at RB and he seemed to use his pace to get out of trouble. It's really been within the last year that I feel like he's really matured as a footballer. That game against Rotherham showed me a technical ability and vision I'd not seen from him before.
  • Everyone wants to leave or hide in treatment room I wonder who will be next to leave can't blame em place is a shambles.bet our non existent scouts have some good foreign experienced league 1 players lined up for next season
  • Everyone wants to leave or hide in treatment room I wonder who will be next to leave can't blame em place is a shambles.bet our non existent scouts have some good foreign experienced league 1 players lined up for next season

I don't think that's fair here. He's a 20 year old who got a chance at first team football in the second half of last season with Plymouth, and again in the winter months. He has said he wants to play football regularly, and for someone his age I think that's the best thing he can be doing for his development. He's only had to drop down one division to do so. Imagine if we'd had the squad depth to do this with him, KAG, and maybe even Lookie toward the beginning of the season. Look at the impact it's had on Callum, and for Pope at Bury. For me, this is finally good handling of a young player. But, like everything with out squad this year, it's come far too late.
  • No way that Morgan Fox is a better player than Holmes-Dennis. Not in a million years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Starts for Oldham today against Burton on Sky.
  • Off_it said:

Charlton Athletic fan: Ive wanted to be loaned to another club for years, just to see what it's like without the pain

Sorry, as with THD, we've only gotten offers from Oldham and Plymouth so...er...take your pick.
  • Peter Shirtliff part of the Oldham coaching staff. Ah, the memories.....
  • HandG said:

Peter Shirtliff part of the Oldham coaching staff. Ah, the memories.....

In 30 years it will be Naby Sarr
  • So now Oldham are watching our young Premiership stars of the future. I thought that was supposed to be our job.

Very good, definitely a riposte for Daisy at some stage.