Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Unearthing Charlton Athletic gems is crucial to them prospering - SLP

Comments

• Good positive article about the academy and Steve Avory is rightly proud of what has been achieved over his 15 years (ie 13 years before Roland appeared).

Telling that no quotes from our CEO or even from Tony Cahones who is project manager for the Sparrows Lane development either.
  • Well, we have unearthed quite a few recently, but I don't see us prospering!
  • im confused by this have valley gold told them they will 100% be withholding cash?
  • If when it is made, it takes the wrong option, expect the members to resign from the scheme in floods. I don't think I'll last that long now. I feel I have been given incorrect information and am not happy.
  • Interesting.
    The mention of Valley Gold makes me wonder how the regime view this income stream. Given that they dismiss with a sneer ticket income being 'only' a third of their revenue, then surely Roland won't care one way or another if he gets Valley Gold money or not. Valley Gold subscribers care though.
  • my stance on this remains the same then, until we are 100% clear money wont go to CAFC then I will continue my VG boycott! and others should too.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2016
    The situation hasn't changed and what presumably Sharron has posted is entirely consistent with the statement made. The statement, as I've said before, is from the committee and all parties had to approve it. It is what it is and I see no point in getting drawn in again because people want to know every word said at the meeting itself.

EDIT. To be very clear that sentence in the report is inaccurate in two senses. Firstly we have stated we will not consider (i.e. make a decision on) funding until later in the year, not that we won't make a payment ever again. It's important to make clear that we have received letters objecting to funds being withheld too, and the legal position isn't yet clear either, so it's not as straightforward a situation as a handful of people on a forum wish it to be. Secondly, the members haven't decided anything, it's down to the management committee. Paul and I have discussed the logistics of obtaining the membership's views, but for reasons I won't go into that's also not as straightforward as it looks.
  • rikofold said:

The situation hasn't changed and what presumably Sharron has posted is entirely consistent with the statement made. The statement, as I've said before, is from the committee and all parties had to approve it. It is what it is and I see no point in getting drawn in again because people want to know every word said at the meeting itself.

I've never asked for a verbatim note from the meeting and I don't recall anyone else asking for that either.

What I have asked for continually is whether a payment will be made in June, yes or no.

You still haven't answered and Sharon has now said that no decision has been made either way.

So for all your posts about it being clear, read between the lines and later in the year it seems that the option for VG to hand the money over to Roland in June is still very much alive. You and the rest of the VG committee haven't made a firm decision and members won't have any opportunity to influence that decision at a meeting or via a vote.

Time to leave VG now. My annual subscription is due in May and won't be renewed.
  • You're missing the point, and through sheer bloody mindedness at that. We can make a decision to transfer funds to the club at any time. The statement reported that we said we didn't intend to make any decisions until later in the year. That's the point. Sharron and I have also said to you that means H2, so if you want to believe June is in H2 then that's entirely up to you.
  • You're missing the point, and through sheer bloody mindedness at that. We can make a decision to transfer funds to the club at any time. The statement reported that we said we didn't intend to make any decisions until later in the year. That's the point. Sharron and I have also said to you that means H2, so if you want to believe June is in H2 then that's entirely up to you.

looks to me that the decision will be made on 1st July that funds will be transferred on 2nd July.
  • How do we sustain an acceptable level of performance on the pitch whilst we are uncovering these gems? Of these gems that I have seen in the past few years

Shelvey
    Gomez
    Lookman
    Solly (I would include, I don't think he'd be here now but for that injury)

Jury is still out on Cousins for me as to whether or not he's a gem. I think he is a good player, I don't think he's the sort of player that will be sold for a huge transfer fee.

That's maybe 4 or 5 in the last 8 years. I'm not knocking this in any way, shape or form, I'm just saying that this is the production line with an excellent academy. Those 4 alone aren't going to be a team built for promotion.

This just highlights the flaws in RD's model for me. Over burden the academy and blood too many youngsters (which we have done) and the first team plummets down the league. Yes, you turn over the odd gem that financially make you a bit of money every few years, but the 'club' doesn't prosper
  • stonemuse said:

As mentioned by @MuttleyCAFC in the separate thread, you ought to canvass the membership as a matter of urgency

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/72390/valley-gold-how-do-i-leave-it#latest

I agree. If the majority of members wish to continue payments, including in June, which I suspect may well be the case then those dissenters will either have to accept that or leave the scheme. It will be their choice.

A members meeting, with the committee members present if they wish to attend, would be one option but not all would be able to attend. An on-line of postal vote would be another option.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can't believe we are back to this one again.

Can Rik say money won't be paid this year? No he can't because only the committee can make an announcement like that.

Will money be paid this year? Well the decision is yet to be made. M

Can't see a vote for a release of funds if Lookman is sold.

I'm sure Rik is aware of the potential for further VG members to leave if funds are passed over with the position as it is.

• @rikofold,

I don't want to get involved in any personal, "bloody minded", arguments with you or anyone.

I have asked you on several occasions, Will "our" money be passed onto RD in June ? Yes or No ?

As I haven't received an answer from yourself, or indeed any one at Valley Gold over the last 3 months I have been asking, I have cancelled my subscription.
    Other people have told me they have/will do also.

In case anyone on the Valley Gold Committee has forgotten the question;

Will Valley Gold pass any money to the Club in June ?
    Yes or No ?
  • edited March 2016
    So it is simple - keep paying £10 a month into the kitty! and when it gets big and FAT the powers that be will decide what to do with it!

Oh wait! we will delay till December 2020 keep donating and we will make a decision then!

Ok decision made here you go Roland £££££££

It isn't worth the risk - as I have said until it is 100% clear that NO FUNDS EVER! will go to the regime then IM OUT! as Dunc B would say!

Two of the members of the board are club members - one is the LIAR I believe!

So I like Rik but it isn't down to him! Rock and hard place!
  • However, Valley Gold is a scheme where the primary purpose is to give funds to the Academy.

I get this. However does it say when?
    Is it impossible to envisage Valley Gold money going into a pot that is only unsealed once this regime is gone?
  • Thanks rik! I understand but I see it as disingenuous not notifying all members that they have a choice. As some think the cash is seperate to the club.
  • I want our academy to thrive but I don't want my hard earned being handed over to this crackpot to fuel his nonsensical master plan that so far has shafted every aspect of club and fans.

When RD goes I rejoin and give my money. All the time the goon is in charge I urge everyone to cancel.
  • seth plum said:

However, Valley Gold is a scheme where the primary purpose is to give funds to the Academy.

I get this. However does it say when?
    Is it impossible to envisage Valley Gold money going into a pot that is only unsealed once this regime is gone?

I'm no expert, but given the scheme is licensed for a particular purpose, I'd be surprised if it would be legal to continue and just stockpile cash until Roland leaves, which could be years.
  • From what I have read in the rules, nowhere does it state when and how much can be handed over to CAFC, does anyone know who audits how the the monies handed over to CAFC are spent? By the way the financial year for VG is July 1st to 30th June.
  • So it might be possible to hand them a symbolic penny per day to indicate ongoing funding, and the rest when they leave?
    Quasi support.