Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

BT Sport - Italian Football

Roma v Napoli on now.

Atmosphere seems electric. And I like BT Sport's Italian Football Expert!

Comments

• Yeah they hate each other so guaranteed an atmosphere, Derby of the Sun they call it. This vid from the fixture a few years ago is a classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQbetD231D8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm not watching it but hopefully Roma hold on.
  • Roma now 2 up v 10 men
  • Roma have only let in one goal so far this season - pretty impressive.
  • Some very good wins too rather than sitting on leads. I'm not in touch with Serie A as much as I used to be but a lot of people were picking them for a nothing season, their new manager (I can't remember his name!) appears to be doing wonders.
  • RedPanda said:

Some very good wins too rather than sitting on leads. I'm not in touch with Serie A as much as I used to be but a lot of people were picking them for a nothing season, their new manager (I can't remember his name!) appears to be doing wonders.

Can't be as good value as the old manager !
  • Don't have BT Sport so wasn't able to watch it tonight but sounded like a great game and there's been a few already in Serie A this season.

Think Italy is catching back up with the rest of Europe and IMO will soon be ahead of the Premiership. Something I think might be noticed more on the European stage than domestically at first, can't stand the negative press and false stereotypes Serie A gets over here.
  • Serie A is in fact averaging something like 2.80 goals per game, just behind the Bundesliga (which has yet to provide a 0-0 draw) and comfortably ahead of the PL which is averaging something like 2.25. Early season but encouraging signs that Serie A's stereotyping in this country is in fact bolleaux. RANT OVER!!
  • That video is like walking up Floyd Road after a Charlton v Barnsley
  • Don't have BT Sport so wasn't able to watch it tonight but sounded like a great game and there's been a few already in Serie A this season.

Think Italy is catching back up with the rest of Europe and IMO will soon be ahead of the Premiership. Something I think might be noticed more on the European stage than domestically at first, can't stand the negative press and false stereotypes Serie A gets over here.

I'm not so sure about Serie A catching the Premier League up. Andrea Agnelli was interviewed last week on BBC World Football (you can download the podcast) and he said the big difference betweenEngland and Italy was the overseas rights - Italy makes just £100m from their new deal, the EPL makes £1.5bn - that's a huge barrier to overcome.
  • I'm at the Stadio Olimpico for the Lazio v Empoli match, attendance is worse than the Valley next season !
  • Sponsored links:

• Not that it excuses such a poor turn out but I think Lazio's ultras are on protest and they detest their owner. I think that started about ten years ago because he stopped giving them a cut of Lazio's merchandise profits!

I saw Empoli in Parma a while back and they took about 50 fans, even though Parma isn't that far in Italian distances. Hopefully the game is enjoyable at least.

• RedPanda said:

Not that it excuses such a poor turn out but I think Lazio's ultras are on protest and they detest their owner. I think that started about ten years ago because he stopped giving them a cut of Lazio's merchandise profits!

I saw Empoli in Parma a while back and they took about 50 fans, even though Parma isn't that far in Italian distances. Hopefully the game is enjoyable at least.

Correct - the ultras have turned it up a notch this year though, even the other weeks Rome derby had an apalling attendance. That being said, even with the Ultras here the attendance would still only be just over 20,000.
  • RedPanda said:

Not that it excuses such a poor turn out but I think Lazio's ultras are on protest and they detest their owner. I think that started about ten years ago because he stopped giving them a cut of Lazio's merchandise profits!

I think Empoli have brought even less to Rome !
  • se9addick said:

I'm at the Stadio Olimpico for the Lazio v Empoli match, attendance is worse than the Valley next season !

You should have draped a Roland out banner across a few of the empty seats.