Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Spit Splat splash

I am always seeing footballers spitting . The pitches must be absolutely awash in gobs of nasty stuff. I still play 11 aside football and in the last 15 years have spat on average 0 times a season. Why do footballers spit? If you play sport and spit, why do you? ... There seems to be no physiological reason that I can think of to explain how sport creates simultaneously both a surfeit of spit and an inability to swallow it. Basketballers some how manage to control spit production so do F1 drivers and trampolinists. So why footballers ?

Comments

• No idea, ask the dog
  • Used to spit when I was a Road Runner... Cleared my mouth for longer and helped me breath better
  • Used to spit when I was a Road Runner... Cleared my mouth for longer and helped me breath better

And easier to evade the coyote.

And easier to evade the coyote.
  • Aaarrrrhhhhhh!

Too many jokes about you always swallowing!

Same reason I do it, whether on a pitch or on a run.
  • Although at times would swirl it round my mouth and swallow it if my mouth was dry and if a Drinks Station wasnt close
  • I am always seeing footballers spitting . The pitches must be absolutely awash in gobs of nasty stuff. I still play 11 aside football and in the last 15 years have spat on average 0 times a season. Why do footballers spit? If you play sport and spit, why do you? ... There seems to be no physiological reason that I can think of to explain how sport creates simultaneously both a surfeit of spit and an inability to swallow it. Basketballers some how manage to control spit production so do F1 drivers and trampolinists. So why footballers ?

Footballers do it to get rid of the cocaine residue :smile: