Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why are so many in denial over the poverty of English football?

We have the same debate after every exit from a major tournament and people still argue we are a major force. Our players are overhyped, arrogant and deluded - the amount of excuses made for them is beyond me.
We pay our managers a vast amount of money to fail time and time again.
Every tournament it's supposedly the manager's fault but maybe it just boils down to the fact we're a bit shit.
The FA are fucking clueless and it's just awash with mediocriity. We just chuck money away and treat the players like kids.

Comments

• the PL is exciting, often spectacular but NOT especially skilful or tactically innovative .. when England play tournaments we try to emulate the technical masters: Spain, Italy, Argentina, Germany, the Brazil of yore .. it don't work, it's a waste of time .. Stick Andy Carroll and Jamie Vardy up front and get Drinkwater and Albrighton to feed long balls up to them .. crude but effective .. forget the pat a patta we need bugga bugga
  • We have the same debate after every exit from a major tournament and people still argue we are a major force. Our players are overhyped, arrogant and deluded - the amount of excuses made for them is beyond me.
    We pay our managers a vast amount of money to fail time and time again.
    Every tournament it's supposedly the manager's fault but maybe it just boils down to the fact we're a bit shit.
    The FA are fucking clueless and it's just awash with mediocriity. We just chuck money away and treat the players like kids.

Great post. Just copied and pasted it (removing expletives) and sent it to the FA for their consideration!! I shan't hold my breath though.
  • People believe the wrong hype, it's forced down the throats of the nation.

Fifa rankings
    Qualifying groups
    Rooney top scorer (yet does nothing when it matters)

It gives this sign that England are a good team. But realistically, they just aren't.

I think they were top 10 going into the tournament, yet out of those top 10, who would take an English player into their squad?
  • We couldn't beat Slovakia and Russia because they weren't very good - think how bad Iceland must be.
  • First of all, any England team needs organisation, a workable and effective game plan, players with sufficient maturity and character to take responsibility, together with a great team ethic and workrate. Add concentration and a little flair, plus composure in front of goal.

Well, a bit like Iceland.

• This won't be a popular opinion but...

We are a middling team, always have been and unless something changes rapidly we always will be. Here's our record at tournaments:

Brazil 1950 Group Stage
    Switzerland 1954 Quarter-finals
    Sweden 1958 Group Stage
    France 1960 Did not enter
    Chile 1962 Quarter-finals
    Spain 1964 Did not qualify
    England 1966 Champions
    Italy 1968 Third place
    Mexico 1970 Quarter-finals
    Belgium 1972 Did not qualify
    West Germany 1974 Did not qualify
    Yugoslavia 1976 Did not qualify
    Argentina 1978 Did not qualify
    Italy 1980 Group Stage
    Spain 1982 Round 2
    France 1984 Did not qualify
    Mexico 1986 Quarter-finals
    West Germany 1988 Group Stage
    Italy 1990 Fourth Place
    Sweden 1992 Group Stage
    United States 1994 Did not qualify
    England 1996 Semi-Finals
    France 1998 Round of 16
    Belgium Netherlands 2000 Group Stage
    South Korea Japan 2002 Quarter-finals
    Portugal 2004 Quarter-finals
    Germany 2006 Quarter-finals
    Austria Switzerland 2008 Did not qualify
    South Africa 2010 Round of 16
    Poland Ukraine 2012 Quarter-finals
    Brazil 2014 Group Stage
    France 2016 Round of 16

So out of a possible 32 tournaments we've ended up with one win, two semi's, eight quarter finals and seven group stages. Now I know some of those were a bit Mickey Mouse especially the early Euro tournaments but the point still stands. At what point do we accept that we're just not a very good footballing nation and that in fact our "golden generation" was in fact a good crop of players who did as well as can be expected?

1990 was the best we've ever done in my lifetime and that's over 30 years now.
  • England are the Newcastle United of international football -- a deluded, over entitled laughing stock.
  • colthe3rd said:

Have we fucked up Euro 2020 already? So soon!

Moving on, I wonder what that list looks like for, say Italy, France or Germany?

• Sponsored links:

• edited June 2016
  • Rizzo said:

colthe3rd said:

Moving on, I wonder what that list looks like for, say Italy, France or Germany?

30 years in terms of my lifetime, I wasn't born in 1990.

I'm not going to post up the full lists but Italy's is quite unusual, they either win it or do pretty poorly. In WCs they've only gone out at 1 quarter final yet have gone out at 7 group stages. Germany's is obviously ridiculous, 7 wins, 7 runners up, 6 3rd place/semi finals. France is similar to us (apart from the obvious years in the late 90s early noughties) plenty of group stage and quarter final knockouts or simply failing to qualify.
  • We won 10 games in a row in qualifying, that fooled a lot of people.
  • Maybe the current England team should enter the JPT, see how they get on.
  • So I take it Rooney hasn't retired from international football yet?
  • k
    colthe3rd said:

Rizzo said:

colthe3rd said:

30 years in terms of my lifetime, I wasn't born in 1990.

I'm not going to post up the full lists but Italy's is quite unusual, they either win it or do pretty poorly. In WCs they've only gone out at 1 quarter final yet have gone out at 7 group stages. Germany's is obviously ridiculous, 7 wins, 7 runners up, 6 3rd place/semi finals. France is similar to us (apart from the obvious years in the late 90s early noughties) plenty of group stage and quarter final knockouts or simply failing to qualify.
    Let's not forget that Denmark, Greece, Czechoslovakia have won the Euros and Portugal, Belgium and Czech Republic have got to the final.
  • we haven't been a top ten team in the World for a long time no matter what the rankings say

I'm sure the last time England flopped there was a stat produced which showed the number of qualified coaches in relationship to people playing the game in England is piss poor
  • edited June 2016
    It is right to say we are not as good as we think we are, but there really isn't a stand out nation at the moment. We could have had a decent tournament this year but Hodgson had a rush of blood to the head against Slovakia and threw any momentum we had gathered in the bin.

That isn't to say we don't need to change things at grass roots level - it is true we always have the same converstation after every tournament, but the FA just isn't willing to invest in the coaching we need in this area. It is a bit like British tennis in the past. These people put themselves first and until that changes - and why will it? We will not tackle any of the issues. If they are part of the problem, why would they want to pay somebody to highlight the fact? Who elects them? They can fail and have a great life thank you very much. They can argue that the money the FA generates means they are not failing, but if it is about money and not football, what is the point?

We talk about the next England manager, but there is a far more important job that should be created. That is a Czar of English football. Somebody who should be given complete power and a significant budget to transform the game from the bottom up. That person should be able to appoint his own team which should include the England manager.

I would suggest the right person for this role is Glenn Hoddle with a clause in his contract to keep God out of it! Although if he or she (not being sexist here) wants the England job, we could make an exception.
  • Sponsored links:

• What is the point of the FA investing more in coaching, when Premiership and Championship teams invest large sums in brining in overseas players and even pack their academies with them.
  • We keep throwing money at the problem yet keep coming up with the same results. The press invariably blame the manager but we've failed despite managerial changes.
    I think a lot of our players don't have the mental strength to succeed a lot of which boils down to their immaturity compared to their foreign counterparts. They're built up from such a young age and I don't think they are given the time to develop.
    It's become all about money for a lot of youngsters and they don't get a chance to develop as players and people. Football is a team game yet now we encourage fame and fortune above all else.
  • It is right to say we are not as good as we think we are, but there really isn't a stand out nation at the moment. We could have had a decent tournament this year but Hodgson had a rush of blood to the head against Slovakia and threw any momentum we had gathered in the bin.

That isn't to say we don't need to change things at grass roots level - it is true we always have the same converstation after every tournament, but the FA just isn't willing to invest in the coaching we need in this area. It is a bit like British tennis in the past. These people put themselves first and until that changes - and why will it? We will not tackle any of the issues. If they are part of the problem, why would they want to pay somebody to highlight the fact? Who elects them? They can fail and have a great life thank you very much. They can argue that the money the FA generates means they are not failing, but if it is about money and not football, what is the point?

We talk about the next England manager, but there is a far more important job that should be created. That is a Czar of English football. Somebody who should be given complete power and a significant budget to transform the game from the bottom up. That person should be able to appoint his own team which should include the England manager.

I would suggest the right person for this role is Glenn Hoddle with a clause in his contract to keep God out of it! Although if he or she (not being sexist here) wants the England job, we could make an exception.

Tsar - We might be shit at football Muttley but I implore you to maintain grammatical standards.
  • JiMMy 85 said:

We won 10 games in a row in qualifying, that fooled a lot of people.

It was mentioned on the radio the other day that we qualified with three games to spare and 40 weeks before the tournament started.

The three spare qualification games and the seven friendlies we had gave us 10 games to prepare for France and enable us to go into the tournament with a settled team and a system that works....................................we had neither!
  • Here is one of our own - deffo not in denial.
    WARNING - EXTREME BAD LANGUAGE (NSFW).

https://facebook.com/barry.platts.90/videos/519148191609516/
  • Wage cap on all players u21. If that means the best English youngsters move abroad to other clubs then so be it, that in itself forces them to grow up as people a bit.
  • Look at who is choosing Roy's successor. I think that says all you need to know.

Precisely no matches as professional footballers at any level, exactly no matches as first team coach or manager between them.

One is clearly excellent at playing the office politics game, one a professional rider of gravy trains and the other makes lovely biscuits...
  • If Charlton put in a great performance on the Saturday, it would be surprising if the team was completely changed on the following Tuesday. This happened against Germany and Holland. Was this because of the clubs or wa sit because Hodgson didn't want to disapoint the other squad players. Likewise against Slovakia - ok the changes up front would have been evolutionary, but the others could only be to give others a game.

The way Hodgson reacted immediately after the game displayed this nice uncle Roy demeanor. But you have to be ruthless and the idiot chucked away any chance of gathering momentum and confidence. Complete tosser in my books!!!
  • Wage cap on all players u21. If that means the best English youngsters move abroad to other clubs then so be it, that in itself forces them to grow up as people a bit.

I like that idea.

Players should want to play and work to be the best, money and bonuses should never dictate your passion or commitment on the pitch if you love the game.