Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

VW TDI settlement, U.S.

Comments

• love the flag .. how long before England becomes the 51st State ? ((:>)
    I suspect that all major international brands treat such situations as a necessary overhead, V W's European sales have been little affected so it seems
  • love the flag .. how long before England becomes the 51st State ? ((:>)
    I suspect that all major international brands treat such situations as a necessary overhead, V W's European sales have been little affected so it seems

Stand-alone VW dealers over here are struggling, just heard of one closing this week.
  • edited June 2016
    limeygent said:

love the flag .. how long before England becomes the 51st State ? ((:>)

Stand-alone VW dealers over here are struggling, just heard of one closing this week.
    many Americans are perhaps more easily 'outraged' and keen on boycotts than their more complacent European counterparts
  • limeygent said:

many Americans are perhaps more easily 'outraged' and keen on boycotts than their more complacent European counterparts
    You could be right, we have an " Outrage Industry" over here, a pity in this case as I own one of these cars, and I'm very satisfied with it.
  • edited June 2016
    limeygent said:

limeygent said:

You could be right, we have an " Outrage Industry" over here, a pity in this case as I own one of these cars, and I'm very satisfied with it.
    as you probably know, there are a LOT of V Ws on the UK roads as well as Mercs, BMWs, Audis and increasingly Skodas .. back to politics .. will the Germans risk losing their UK sales in 'revenge' moves against the Brexit UK
  • limeygent said:

limeygent said:

as you probably know, there are a LOT of V Ws on the UK roads as well as Mercs, BMWs, Audis and increasingly Skodas .. back to politics .. will the Germans risk losing their UK sales in 'revenge' moves against the Brexit UK
    You would be able to answer that better than I, being more "on-the-spot". Won't there be new tariffs and import duties imposed on vehicles built in the E.U.? Hopefully there'll be new trade agreements between the U.S and the U.K.. VWs are built in Chattanooga. Interesting times ahead.
  • Just had mine 'fixed' with a software update. 'You won't notice any difference' said the VW salesman when he handed my car back. Currently I think it feels like I'm driving a brick at lower speeds after what was a fairly responsive motor but it may be its just me.
  • edited June 2016
    limeygent said:

limeygent said:

limeygent said:

You would be able to answer that better than I, being more "on-the-spot". Won't there be new tariffs and import duties imposed on vehicles built in the E.U.? Hopefully there'll be new trade agreements between the U.S and the U.K.. VWs are built in Chattanooga. Interesting times ahead.
    If there any tariffs imposed they will be small I would think, a token defiant gesture .. the Germans run the EU despite all the bluster about it being a 'democratic' union .. it's about as democratic as pre wall coming down East Germany .. Germany and the EU as a whole exports more to us than we sell to them .. we had the ridiculous spectre last night of the Lithuanian PM literally threatening the UK with reprisals for leaving .. Lithuania ! .. righto, we should have left the arrogant feckers under Russian control ...

afterthought .. so Chattanooga no longer depends on the choo-choo to get about ?
  • Just had mine 'fixed' with a software update. 'You won't notice any difference' said the VW salesman when he handed my car back. Currently I think it feels like I'm driving a brick at lower speeds after what was a fairly responsive motor but it may be its just me.

That's what I'm afraid of, I generally get around 50mpg (US), so don't want to mess that up, or the performance.
  • limeygent said:

limeygent said:

limeygent said:

If there any tariffs imposed they will be small I would think, a token defiant gesture .. the Germans run the EU despite all the bluster about it being a 'democratic' union .. it's about as democratic as pre wall coming down East Germany .. Germany and the EU as a whole exports more to us than we sell to them .. we had the ridiculous spectre last night of the Lithuanian PM literally threatening the UK with reprisals for leaving .. Lithuania ! .. righto, we should have left the arrogant feckers under Russian control ...

afterthought .. so Chattanooga no longer depends on the choo-choo to get about ?
    Such a pity a few engineers had to cheat, the company had tried so hard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJgzhLtaIsk
  • Sponsored links:

• limeygent said:

Just had mine 'fixed' with a software update. 'You won't notice any difference' said the VW salesman when he handed my car back. Currently I think it feels like I'm driving a brick at lower speeds after what was a fairly responsive motor but it may be its just me.

That's what I'm afraid of, I generally get around 50mpg (US), so don't want to mess that up, or the performance.
    It also sounds more like a diesel car as well. As I posted before, it may just be me thinking something has changed because I know they've updated the software but it's a R-Line, 2.0 tdi, still got very low mileage, serviced only a couple of months ago, just had a run on the motorway and was a joy to drive and you wouldn't have known you were driving a diesel either by performance or sound. Admittedly the trips since have been short, town journeys and from cold starts so not the best for comparison.
  • limeygent said:

limeygent said:

limeygent said:

limeygent said:

Such a pity a few engineers had to cheat, the company had tried so hard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJgzhLtaIsk
    thanks for that .. very interesting .. I was working at Fords Dagenham back in the late 70s/early 80s when robots were just being introduced .. they've now taken over the majority of car manufacturing plants as well as many many other industries ..
    automation is making humans redundant .. the BBC has had a few recent programmes about the topic .. one (would you believe) about the Dutch cut flower business and a few months back James May did a couple of real time programmes from the Mini plant in the UK midlands, both well worth a look if you can get BBC iplayer in the US ..
    also, good to see that the choo-choo is still an important element in Tennessee, Davy Crockett country ((:>)
  • Just an aside. The rail company, CSX, claim that they move 1 ton of cargo 436 miles on one gallon of fuel!
  • limeygent said:

Just an aside. The rail company, CSX, claim that they move 1 ton of cargo 436 miles on one gallon of fuel!

The first 36 miles are on level ground, the remaining 400 miles are all down hill.
  • limeygent said:

Just an aside. The rail company, CSX, claim that they move 1 ton of cargo 436 miles on one gallon of fuel!

The first 36 miles are on level ground, the remaining 400 miles are all down hill.
    http://www.ctls.uconn.edu/do-csx-trains-really-move-1-ton-of-cargo-500-miles-on-1-gallon-of-fuel.html