Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Why are so many in denial over the poverty of English football?

2»

Comments

• I don't know anyone that thinks England are a 'major force'
  • I think England's best players are not too far off top European standard, tbh. I think the deficiencies are more tactical than resource-based. We took a good squad to this tournament and they completely lost their heads under pressure. You have nonsense spoken afterwards like 'Alli and Kane look utterly shot and Spurs should look to offload them'. These two men SPEARHEADED A TITLE-CHALLENGE. They'll be great again next season under a manager that knows where to play them and how to manage their expectations.

This comes down to a) the pressure fans and media put on players, b) how badly the players deal with that pressure and c) how badly they're managed in a tactical and psychological sense.

My solutions to each of these are a) shut down The Sun (see Brexit thread for more), b) appoint a mental coach and c) appoint a management TEAM, all of whom have demonstrated tactical acumen in club management.

Obviously, youth coaching needs to improve blah blah we'll never blah be Spain blah (they're out too!) but England's player talent pool seems to be going in the right direction. It just needs proper management and the right kind of national support.
  • A little anecdote that I have mentioned before on this site...

Some 15 years ago, my son (who was about 11 at the time) played for Footscray Lions - who were invited onto a weekend tournament in the centre of France involving some 20 teams, 18 from France, 1 from Germany and Footscray Lions.

When arriving in France I noticed that all the French kids were training 6 a-side across the pitch, concentrating on skill and ball retention and movement - it was good to watch.

So, about 6 weeks after returning from France, my sons coach (who's name shall remain secret , but he was called Norman) came over to me with a petition - 'sign here Stu' said Norm to me, 'whats it for' I responded - 'oh its the London FA - they want us to play games across the pitch , wiv small goals - remember, just like we saw them in France? - but we don't want to do that, we want to play on a big pitch wiv big goals - just like we've always done'.
    'No , I'm not signing it' I said - 'coz its obviously the best way to go'.
    Well Norm, being a spanner, wanted to rip my head off for refusing to sign his petition, and I think they ended up sending one off - not sure.

Therein lies the biggest problem we have with football in this country.
  • edited June 2016
    Look far far down to the grass roots to find the problem and you can use Iceland as back up to the opposite side of the spectrum. In Iceland they train every level of footballer, and even those that can barely play football, from the lowest of ages (4+ I believe) up to a much higher age - no matter how good or bad you are you will find a professional trainer for you and most probably a team to play with. I am talking pretty much every child is out there keeping fit and playing the sport they love - they are not forced but they enjoy it because they are treasured, however good they are.

IN Spain they have over 10x UEFA A coaches than we do in the whole of UK (not just England) - they have over 15,000 - we had circa 1,300 last time I checked the official figures (2015) . Spain's was nearing 15,000. Their population isn't too much higher than ours really looking at the bigger picture.

The cost of getting up to UEFA A coaching standard in Spain? £1,000, in Germany it's a measly £440.. In England - £5,600.

This whole system will never change unless FA undergo a complete facelift.
  • Look far far down to the grass roots to find the problem and you can use Iceland as back up to the opposite side of the spectrum. In Iceland they train every level of footballer, and even those that can barely play football, from the lowest of ages (4+ I believe) up to a much higher age - no matter how good or bad you are you will find a professional trainer for you and most probably a team to play with. I am talking pretty much every child is out there keeping fit and playing the sport they love - they are not forced but they enjoy it because they are treasured, however good they are.

IN Spain they have over 10x UEFA A coaches than we do in the whole of UK (not just England) - they have over 15,000 - we had circa 1,300 last time I checked the official figures (2015) . Spain's was nearing 15,000. Their population isn't too much higher than ours really looking at the bigger picture.

The cost of getting up to UEFA A coaching standard in Spain? £1,000, in Germany it's a measly £440.. In England - £5,600.

This whole system will never change unless FA undergo a complete facelift.

There are a lack of intelligent people running football in this country - listening to some of our pundits you'd think we were still in the 1970s.
    Foreign players and coaches are generally better informed and educated - all we can offer is the old 'bulldog' spirit but even that's disappearing. Coaches/managers like Stuart Pearce, Pardew etc epitomise our limited outlook. Maybe some of the younger managers such as Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche can do a better job assuming they listen to the right people.
    It's not enough to be a good bloke who is full of passion anymore - football and sport has moved on.
  • edited June 2016

Wage cap on all players u21. If that means the best English youngsters move abroad to other clubs then so be it, that in itself forces them to grow up as people a bit.

Clubs will just pay them add ons under the table or give their parents a big house. The principle is good though.
  • Due to the weather Icelandic FA also made sure indoor high quality 3g pitches were installed so all towns had access to one within a relative distance. Open all the time and so the players not only have access to good facilities all year round, they are coached on a surface where quick passing and moving is easier to execute.

The 2nd Iceland goal the other night demonstrated that. They can defend but they know how to use the ball.

Look at some of the overpriced shit pitches kids have to use here. Where is the support for young football clubs to try and play the right way? Charge so much for anything, including coaching badges.

I saw someone say on another thread that it was irrelevant how much Hodgson got paid. In my opinion it is very relevant. If he was even paid 1 million a year, then 4 milllion a year could go back to help funding decent playing surfaces for kids to be coached on, more affordable football, better facilities etc.

Instead it is spent on a manager who is nowhere near a world class salary.
  • I'm not in denial, I know we're not very good and that we flatter to deceive in the qualifiers, except when we don't even qualify.

I always want England to win but there is a perverse delight in seeing these overpaid peacocks falling on their arses time and time again. At least they give their England match fee to charity, although they should because they certainly don't deserve it themselves.

Re the overpaid comment, I'd rather see the TV money going to the players than the chairmen, etc., but it's still too much.