Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

ongoing incident in Woolwich

Avoid if you can.

Comments

• Options
    My son's working there this week, what sort of incident @Baldybonce ?
  • Options

My son's working there this week, what sort of incident @Baldybonce ?

Nothing on Twitter at the moment, other than this cryptic tweet and photo:

Hopefully it's nothing too bad, no news is good news after all.
  • Options
    Outside Arsenal riverside, chemical spill ?. Lots of fire engines, large area taped off.
  • Options
    Still lots of sirens and helicopters from my perch on Shooters Hill.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Its the Wales open top bus parade passing through.

I heard they were parading the Nigerian entry for the Eurovision Song Contest.
    Reggie and Bollie doing Making Your Mind Up.
  • Options

I know that the comments are in jest, but I think Woolwich is a great place to live in. I happen to live in a lovely building surrounded by an acre of grounds in the heart of the town. We've got the river with lovely walks towards Erith or Greenwich. The blend by the river of the heritage of Woolwich (Royal Artillery being established here in 1716 etc.) with the new apartments works really well. Add that to new pubs, restaurants etc. and good parks. The town has struggled a lot in the last 25 plus years but I think it's really on the up. :smile:

Haven't been back for a very long time but that's good to hear about my home town.
  • Options
    It is on the up I agree. Lots of new places to eat and drink. But it's already priced your average earner out of the area. Though it still has many many problems. one rule I saw on Twitter this week is they will be banning drinking in the square. I walked to the station late this morning... So many out already drinking at 11. They will just spread further out.

• Options
    No point crying over spilt onions.
  • Options

I know that the comments are in jest, but I think Woolwich is a great place to live in. I happen to live in a lovely building surrounded by an acre of grounds in the heart of the town. We've got the river with lovely walks towards Erith or Greenwich. The blend by the river of the heritage of Woolwich (Royal Artillery being established here in 1716 etc.) with the new apartments works really well. Add that to new pubs, restaurants etc. and good parks. The town has struggled a lot in the last 25 plus years but I think it's really on the up. :smile:

Serious question - do you shop in Woolwich or use the market ?
  • Options

Which market ?

• Options
    bobmunro said:

Haven't been back for a very long time but that's good to hear about my home town.
    I second that Bob.
    Have lived in sunny Dorset for near 30 years now, but was born and raised in Woolwich and later Abbey Wood for the first 30+.
    Went to visit my first home in Ridout Street a couple of years back and later walked to town centre and it looked depressing then.
    I have fond memories of Woolwich in the 50's and 60's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Riviera said:

Since when was Woolwich in SW16?
    Expected that. :smiley:
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    bobmunro said:

• Options

I do all of my food shopping in Woolwich and all of my clothes shopping in either Woolwich or Charlton. Remember going to Bexleyheath as a kid but as the area has changed so much, I don't have to travel more than a mile from my flat to get what I need whether it's food or clothing. Do not use the market at the moment but probably should and wouldn't rule it out.
  • Options
    @ShootersHillGuru , I am aware of those plans. Any idea when the development in likely to take place?
  • Options
    Stig said:

It could be worse, Southend was brought to a standstill yesterday when a lorry overturned spilling a load of 50,000 onions. Sounds like the start of a Two Ronnie's joke.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/14602474.Enough_to_make_you_cry__Southend_drivers_complain_of_gridlock_after_road_closures_caused_by_onion_lorry_accident/

Apparantly the driver was pickled. Boom-Boom!
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Do you have any photos across the other side of the Woolwich Road ? :smile:

I presume you're referring to that derelict building across from the bottom of Charlton Lane? Not going to pretend that the area doesn't have it's issues but pretty sure that the entirety of the Woolwich Road lies in SE7 and SE10, not SE18. :smile:
  • Options

The area around the covered market is to be regenerated. "The Spray Street Quarter" To include cinema, Square, bars, restaurants. Will be right opposite entrance to Crossrail.

Cant polish a turd!!... Woolwich / Plumstead are dumps now compared to when I was a kid and would have a day out there with my Nan and Grandad.

Now its a case of going there if I need to get somewhere else and its a case of getting out as quickly as possible!!