Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Updated Squad List - 20 July 2018

Thanks as ever to @Scoham for dates, details and checking.

My sins are my own, they belong to me

Name - year contract expires.

Contracts expire on 30th June of given year

Goalkeepers

Stephen Henderson 2017

Marko Dmitrovic - 2017 - Alcorcon claimed to have signed him, unconfirmed by Charlton

Right Backs

Chris Solly 2020

Centre Backs

Roger Johnson 2017
Harry Lennon 2018
Patrick Bauer 2019
Jorge Texieria 2020

Naby Sarr 2020 - loaned to Red Star FC 93 (France)

Left Backs

Morgan Fox 2018
Tareiq Holmes-Dennis 2018

Right Midfielders

Callum Harriott 2017
Cristian Ceballos 2018

Central Midfielders

Alou Diarra 2017
Johnnie Jackson 2017
El-Hadji Ba 2018
Ahmed Kashi 2018

Left Midfielders

Ricky Holmes 2018

Zakarya Bergdich 2019 - SLP reporting he has been told he can leave on a free, no confirmation from the club

Strikers

Nicky Ajose 2019
Lee Novak 2019
Ademola Lookman 2020
Tony Watt 2018 - On loan to Hearts for all of 2016/7 season
Igor Vetokele 2019 - loaned to Zulte Waregem (Belgium)

*18 players including long term injured Ahmed Kashi and short term injured Alou Diarra

Players from U21 squad who may now be considered part of the first team squad by Russell Slade (Subjective judgement by @Henry Irving based on age and being included in Austrian trip)

Dimitar Mitov 2017 plus one year option
Dillon Phillips - 2018
Ezri Konsa Undisclosed "Long Term" (2019 estimated, signed December 2015)
Oliver Muldoon 2017
Josh Umerah 2018

*five players

U21 Development Squad

Goalkeepers

Callum Thomas 2017 (estimated)
Jordan Beeney 2018 (had heard he signed a 2 year scholarship and 2 year pro deal)

Right Backs

Aaron Barnes 2017

Centre Backs

Elan Assiana 2017 (estimated)
Daniel Bowry 2017
Terell Thomas 2017

Kenneth Yao Undisclosed "Long Term" (2019 estimated, signed January 2016)

Left Backs

Archie Edwards 2018

Central Midfielders

Joe Aribo 2017
Chris Millar - 2017
Anfernee Dijksteel 2017
Regan Charles-Cook Undisclosed "Long Term" (2019 estimated, signed December 2015)
George Lapslie 2019

Strikers

Karlan Ahearne-Grant 2017 plus 1 year option
Brandon Hanlan 2018
Mikhail Kennedy 2018
Louis-Michel Yamfam 2018 (Signed from Stevenage)

Comments

• Do we expect to see Oliver Muldoon in the squad this season or on loan?
  • Not sure all these players will still be here in 20 July 2018 ;-)
  • GK - Henderson off most likely = 0 senior goalkeepers

RB - Solly injury prone, likely to miss quite a few games this season.

CB - Bauer and Tex - good but will they still be here?
    Lennon - injured
    Rel' Rog' - :(

LB - Looks okay if MF and THD stay

RM -Harriott - OK
    Ceballos - injury prone

CM -Diarra, Kashi - Injured
    Jackson - not the youngest, likely to miss quite a few games IMO
    Ba - potentially okay at this level, looked crap in the championship

LM - Holmes - good signing

Strikers- Ajose - great signing seemingly, currently injured?
    Novak - good signing
    Lookman - probably off

So assuming we need at least two for every position to cover injuries, so a squad of 22 - what slade stated was enough, we currently have 1 position covered (LB).

That is pretty depressing. Few weeks left until the season starts but if past seasons are to go by we will saying that right up until the end of the transfer window only to be left worringly short when the transfer window "slams shut".
  • edited July 2016
    I don't know about a few weeks until the season starts, it is 17days.
  • Am I really thick or is 17 days not a few weeks? I would consider a few weeks to be between 2 and 3 weeks?
  • edited July 2016
    regarding Dmitrovic, he signed an 18 month contract in Jan 2015 so was out of contract June 2016 not June 2017

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/marko-dmitrovic-signs-from-ujpest-nick-pope-signs-for-bury-on-loan-2185720.aspx
  • regarding Dmitrovic, he signed an 18 month contract in Jan 2015 so was out of contract June 2016 not June 2017

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/marko-dmitrovic-signs-from-ujpest-nick-pope-signs-for-bury-on-loan-2185720.aspx

Yeah but he took up the one year option at the end of last season

http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-retained-list-201516-3119747.aspx
  • The number of leavers exceeds the number that have joined.
    Last seasons disasters were down to an inadequate squad.
    Well Mr Slade you have a few weeks to get a decent squad together. If KM or RD are not allowing this please leave.

• Our strikers lol. Don't rate Novak, Lookman probably not far from gone - leaves us with a couple. Going well for Slade.
  • If we sign Foley, Buxton, Crofts and a keeper that will give us 22 senior pros. Squad still looks light though when you consider the injury problems some have had and continue to add.

The other question is, with no emergency loans next season, is 22 senior pros enough?
  • Sponsored links:

• Just looking at that squad.. Wow it is even worse than i anticipated! Huge gaps across the squad in terms of numbers and quality. Anyone who bought a season ticket straight after holmes, novak and ajose signed.. bet you're feeling a little silly now. A season of mid-table mediocrity beckons. Protests in full flow by the end of August. We are going nowhere but backwards until these lying creeps leave our club.
  • This is so depressing, once again our CEO has not learnt from her previous mistakes, why am I not surprised - that is what is depressing.
  • CM the most alarming for me we've been shit in that position for years and now we are shit and thin on the numbers.

2 GKs
    2 CMs
    An absolute must.
  • CM the most alarming for me we've been shit in that position for years and now we are shit and thin on the numbers.

2 GKs
    2 CMs
    An absolute must.

Need probably 4 more in midfield, particularly as I have my doubts that Ba will stay, and even bigger doubts about his effectiveness if he does.
  • This squad looks bare :( this is depressing its nearly August hope we sign 4+ players at least before start of August. Here's hoping....
  • This squad looks bare :( this is depressing its nearly August hope we sign 4+ players at least before start of August. Here's hoping....

Agree but I expect 2 or all of Buxton, Foley and Crofts to sign soon.

Not losing anyone else from the first team squad will be key.
  • When did the left footed pairing of Callum Harriott and Ceballos become right midfielders?

They are both LM's naturally despite them ever being played RM.
  • Our strikers lol. Don't rate Novak, Lookman probably not far from gone - leaves us with a couple. Going well for Slade.

How can you not rate Novak out of interest?

Have you seen him play competitively over the last 2-3 seasons?

2015/16 - Scored 15 in 38 League 1
    2014/15 - Scored 2 in 25 Championship (Not a good season admittedly)
    2013/14 - Scored 11 in 43 Championship

28 in 106 is equivalent to just over 1 goal every 4 games

We're at his level now, he will score at least 10 in my opinion.

I don't expect world beaters but Novak is a hard worker that has an eye for goal, as we saw with Powell's team, a group of lesser players can achieve greatly if they work hard and work together.

Agree but I expect 2 or all of Buxton, Foley and Crofts to sign soon.

Not losing anyone else from the first team squad will be key.
    Hope so Henners! we shall see just hope we sign them up and even with them it still looks a thin squad and looks like well be filling it with the youth, not normally a glass half empty but this was depressing to see
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

When did the left footed pairing of Callum Harriott and Ceballos become right midfielders?

They are both LM's naturally despite them ever being played RM.

I went with where they're likely to play under Slade.

Holmes is right footed but Slade has talked about him playing on the left. As it stands that is likely to mean Harriott or Ceballos will play on the right.
  • Why not have a separate category of 'wingers'?
  • Ben18 said:

Why not have a separate category of 'wingers'?

Could do, but then you get into what's a winger, wide midfielder etc. Used to come up when people called JBG a winger, others would say he wasn't.
  • edited July 2016
    Please, please, don't anybody say it's the hope that kills you. It's crap ownership and crap executives that kill you.

If the club could talk, that's what it would say.
  • Please, please, don't anybody say it's the hope that kills you. It's crap ownership and crap executives that kill you.

If the club could talk, that's what it would say.

You need to chill fella, its the hope that kills you :smile:
  • There is a constant conversation about "wingers" on here. I don't go back to P Powell and Peacock but it seems to me we have had few that have been effective since, so I don't understand the clamour for them . Newton and Robinson were effective wide midfielders that screened the fullbacks well. Even JBG , I wouldn't describe as a winger .

• I purchased my rose-tinted spectacles on-line from the Valley Superstore (£19-99 Made in Belgium) and re-examined that updated squad list before leaping out of the nearest window in my bungalow.

I will now be purchasing the discount razor blades (£4-99 Made in Wales, at least for now) well before this (next) shambles of a season kicks off.