Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

House buying - online/in shop

After years of saving, the wife and I are looking to buy our first place, probably next March when our tenancy is up and we've paid our wedding off.

As it gets nearer I'm constantly looking online just to get a vibe for what is available and at what prices, even if things might move between now and then.

Been browsing zoopla/prime location/right move etc and then when walking through town today an estate agent caught my eye and it dawned on me that it had not even crossed my mind to enter one to look at what they have.

So the question is, am I missing a trick by only looking online? Am I misled by the fact most searches of this nature (holidays/insurance etc) that I do nowadays are online? It's just they seem to have so many places and it's easy to filter on what you want, although I have noticed that most decent places seem to already be sold STC when I see them.

So am i being a bit blinkered by not going into an actual estate agents? What could they offer me which the web does not? Am I missing out on potential properties and/or not seeing true prices?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• I can't help on the above, but property prices in London have started to fall and this usually starts in London & spreads outwards. So, personally I feel it may be worth hanging on & buying at the bottom of the market, which could be in a few years time.

I could be entirely wrong, so you'll have to keep a close eye on prices & don't blame me if I am wrong :smile:
  • Only one purchasing experience to speak of but for me my search was mostly online. Then as time went on and I'd done a few viewings i got to know a few agents in the area in which i was looking.
    Then one or two would ring me before they put the ad online, so yes, can pay to follow up both routes. Ultimately the place i bought was online and i viewed with the seller only and finally picked the keys up without meeting the agent at any stage, but that might be unusual.

As the time gets nearer best thing I think is to make sure you are searching on 'most recent first' and act quickly. Don't rely on automatic alerts.
  • Two bits of advice:

1. SOME properties are not advertised. Therefore, they won't be shown on sites like Zoopla. They are kept for specific clients who have very particular requirements. And SOME properties are such a close match for the precise requirements of certain buyers that they don't need to be advertised. The buyer rings the agent on a Monday morning, instructs them and the agent rings the one person they know would look at it. Deal done - no-one else gets a look in. So, if you're looking to buy, visit every agent who might be selling property in the location you're looking. Frankly it's a ball-ache. But far better to ensure you are able to get to see the right property, than to miss out because you only bothered to look online.

2. Be absolutely specific about what you will and won't accept. Set a very tight price range. Be clear on your upper limit. Refuse to look at anything that's £100 above your limit. Then, for the property itself, write two lists. One, with all the absolute must-haves (say, three bedrooms, garden, garage) and another with the things you would LIKE, but would be prepared to compromise on (property on two floors, separate dining room, two bathrooms, detached...). Be totally clear in your own mind (both of you) what you MUST have and what you would LIKE.

Good luck - let us all know how you get on!
  • CE that's my biggest concern atm. Our issue is we've waited a long time, ain't getting younger and are looking to start a family asap (and i'd definitely like to be moved by then) so really don't want to be putting it off for more years.

But it is a concern to buy before a potential crash, but the aim is that it would be a long-term home, so we could hopefully ride out any downturn!?!
  • edited July 2016

After years of saving, the wife and I are looking to buy our first place, probably next March when our tenancy is up and we've paid our wedding off.

As it gets nearer I'm constantly looking online just to get a vibe for what is available and at what prices, even if things might move between now and then.

Been browsing zoopla/prime location/right move etc and then when walking through town today an estate agent caught my eye and it dawned on me that it had not even crossed my mind to enter one to look at what they have.

So the question is, am I missing a trick by only looking online? Am I misled by the fact most searches of this nature (holidays/insurance etc) that I do nowadays are online? It's just they seem to have so many places and it's easy to filter on what you want, although I have noticed that most decent places seem to already be sold STC when I see them.

So am i being a bit blinkered by not going into an actual estate agents? What could they offer me which the web does not? Am I missing out on potential properties and/or not seeing true prices?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Buy the flat I'm selling - best advice I can offer :smiley:
  • I'm building up to selling a flat that i can no longer be bothered to rent out, So would also be interested to know peo

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Can I ask why you can't be bothered to rent it out anymore?

We're about to start looking into buying a flat for our daughter and rent it out until she's old enough.

Seems a good idea on paper but have heard from a couple of people it can be a pain in the arse.
  • Done the flat years - want to stay in a house I'm afraid mate.
  • edited July 2016

I'm building up to selling a flat that i can no longer be bothered to rent out, So would also be interested to know peo

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

Can I ask why you can't be bothered to rent it out anymore?

We're about to start looking into buying a flat for our daughter and rent it out until she's old enough.

Seems a good idea on paper but have heard from a couple of people it can be a pain in the arse.
    Nothing bad to say about renting it out - probably worded it wrongly. I've been quite lucky with the tenants that have been in there. They are moving on to pastures new, so can't be bothered to go through the aggro of finding new ones so will just sell and get my mortgage paid off.

I'm also liking not working at the moment - so need a source of beer money income. Plus I'd like to have the money in place for my children's uni fees etc etc - which is bit of a way off, but still would like peace of mind.

Good plan to buy your daughter a place. I don't know where you are looking to buy, but this place is in Loughton. You can view it if you like, but the toilet is out of bounds to you :smiley:
  • edited July 2016
  • edited July 2016

Cheers mate, not 100% sure we can afford it and don't want to get in a situation where we could be at risk financially. Probably looking around Dartford area
  • Sponsored links:

Cheers mate, not 100% sure we can afford it and don't want to get in a situation where we could be at risk financially.
    Yeah it's a tricky one. no point in stretching yourself financially in the current climate.
  • I bought my first house in 2008 just before/as the crash happened. I didn't overpay massively but we were under water for a couple of years which wasn't nice. On the flip side we sold it for 60% mark up last year so there is hope even if you buy at the wrong time. Good luck with the search and I hope you and your missus find something special to bring up the the Organiser Jr's in.
  • Thanks for the advice chaps.
  • After years of saving, the wife and I are looking to buy our first place, probably next March when our tenancy is up and we've paid our wedding off.

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers.

As the father of a daughter whom sold and bought 6 months ago what we found was that by the time good properties actually got onto Rightmove etc they were in reality already under offer via agents.

In our experience the online sites are useful for 'sussing out' an area and getting a guide as to values but if you actually want to get out there and buy then you need to go via an agent (s) unless you are lucky enough to get anything via word of mouth.
  • A good agent is like a good insurance broker - they save you doing all the wading through unsuitable stuff, because you've told them what you are looking for and they will do their best to source it for you, making the whole thing less stressful. Like looking for the perfect job through a recruitment agency, you have to be explicit about the non-negotiables as well as the like-to-have things, and you have to call periodically so they don't forget about you.

As mentioned above, not all properties go on these websites and the sites charge the agents a lot so some agents won't use them.

The only other thing I'd suggest is spend a lot of time sussing where you want to live. Go there on a Saturday night - is it heaving with drunk teenagers having a party? Go there at the weekends - will visiting friends and relations be able to park? Try the commute - is the local station just full of trains that arrive full, doors open, doors close, train drives off, or is this actually something that will get you into work on time? Chat to people who could become your neighbours - what do they think about the area? This is the biggest purchase most people ever make, and the yes/no decision is usually made very quickly.

Hope you and the missus find somewhere perfect!
  • edited July 2016
    And schools. If you're planning a family, are there good infant, junior, secondary shools in the proximity, or you'll have to move again ?
  • I've just had an offer accepted on my first house. I'd highly recommended just going for it and booking viewings on a number of properties with many different estate agents, we saw quite a few we didn't really have much of an interest in but you get a chance to talk to the agents and then they start to phone you everyday with properties that have just come up and haven't been put online yet so you can view them first.