Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Help - need to sell Dad's car quickly

My Dad died last year and I have (finally) sold his house. The buyers move in on Friday.

Being very sentimental I haven't done anything with his car yet......
It's a 30 year old Renault 19 which hasn't been driven for a year but starts and didn't have anything wrong with it before he died. He bought it from new and kept it in good condition (he loved it). I think it's done approx 65000 miles so I guess it's got more it could do. But it hasn't got any MOT or tax (so I can't drive it) and I need to get it off his drive. One of his neighbours asked me not to get rid of it as she might want it - but that was three weeks ago and now I've got to get on with it. I could just get it towed away, but I really really don't just want it to get scrapped. I'm not bothered about money for it - I just don't want it crushed.

Any ideas?

I wish I'd thought abut this much much sooner but stuck fingers in my ears and did 'la la la la'.

Comments

• Maybe try and see if there's an owners club? Might not seem like a classic but cars of that age do have a following. They might take it off you and make a donation to a charity.
  • If you book in an mot, it's legal to drive it to the garage.

Would I have to tax it? It's been on SORN for the last year.
  • edited July 2016

If you book in an mot, it's legal to drive it to the garage.

Would I have to tax it? It's been on SORN for the last year.
    No, can still be driven to and from the MOT centre.

You need a valid MOT to get it taxed anyway.
  • As long as it's prebooked you can drive to an MOT test or to a place of repair for repairs needed for the test. However you need to make sure the vehicle is roadworthy, you'll still get nicked for worn tyres etc and you're more likely to get pulled as you'll be flagged up on any anpr you drive past. also if the car isn't roadworthy you may invalidate your insurance
  • edited July 2016
    Don't you also need to be insured to drive the car to do that?
  • Absolutely.
  • Sure but most, if not all, fully comprehensive insurances allow you to drive someone else's car on third party cover.

• Where do you live Arsene?
  • You could get short term cover (as in 1 day).

Another option would be for the MOT to collect the car from you on a pick up.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sure but most, if not all, fully comprehensive insurances allow you to drive someone else's car on third party cover.

not necessarily, this is less common than it used to be so you need to check. mine includes it but I think there's a weird clause that the car owner must also have a policy naming that vehicle which wouldn't be the case here
  • Daggs said:

Where do you live Arsene?

Dad's car is in Bexley

But the other car has to be insured in its own right
  • I agree with Ricky Otto - Get short term cover just for the day. Shouldn't cost more than about £25 and worth it for peace of mind.

There are charities who will take it (my stepfather is doing this with my late mother's P reg Peugeot 306), which sounds in similar condition and has only 43,000 miles on it. Sadly the tyres need replacing simply due to age, so it's an uneconomical prospect.
  • Might be a bit off the wall but if it's in reasonable nick could it be a 'prop' for period programmes?

http://www.filmcars.co.uk/
  • RAC currently do the best one to 3 day insurance deals.
  • My Dad died last year and I have (finally) sold his house. The buyers move in on Friday.

Being very sentimental I haven't done anything with his car yet......
    It's a 30 year old Renault 19 which hasn't been driven for a year but starts and didn't have anything wrong with it before he died. He bought it from new and kept it in good condition (he loved it). I think it's done approx 65000 miles so I guess it's got more it could do. But it hasn't got any MOT or tax (so I can't drive it) and I need to get it off his drive. One of his neighbours asked me not to get rid of it as she might want it - but that was three weeks ago and now I've got to get on with it. I could just get it towed away, but I really really don't just want it to get scrapped. I'm not bothered about money for it - I just don't want it crushed.

Any ideas?

I wish I'd thought abut this much much sooner but stuck fingers in my ears and did 'la la la la'.

Any pictures? My brother was looking for one of these recently.
  • Arsene, you might find that the car will be worth more than you think - older classic cars in good condition are fetching silly money nowadays - I happened to notice a Cortina Mk 2 1600E going for 16 grand the other day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Arsene, you might find that the car will be worth more than you think - older classic cars in good condition are fetching silly money nowadays - I happened to notice a Cortina Mk 2 1600E going for 16 grand the other day.

I bought mine for £495 and sold it (p/ex) for £300! That was in 1976 mind!

Oh well.
  • bobmunro said:

Arsene, you might find that the car will be worth more than you think - older classic cars in good condition are fetching silly money nowadays - I happened to notice a Cortina Mk 2 1600E going for 16 grand the other day.

Oh well.
    Cracking car in its day though.

There is a big following for classic Fords and prices reflect that. Other makes may not fair so well. For my sins I own a 1986 convertible Cavalier, worth about 3 grand - if it had a Ford badge you could probably times that by 10.

Ah, I've just looked at an image for a Renault 19 - maybe not then !
    If it's a Renault 19 16V Chamade it'll be worth a bit as they're super rare now
  • bobmunro said:

Arsene, you might find that the car will be worth more than you think - older classic cars in good condition are fetching silly money nowadays - I happened to notice a Cortina Mk 2 1600E going for 16 grand the other day.

Oh well.
    Cracking car in its day though.
    Absolutely - I loved it. Mine was '68 with the four dials in a pod above the dash rather than the later models where they dropped them into the dash.

Footloose, fancy free and a car that had some real street cred (shame I didn't).
  • Back to the OP.

I went and looked at this vehicle today. I like old vehicles as my avatar? shows.
    I was thinking in terms of making it look showroom again, but not doing any unnecessary mechanical work on it.
    However, some of the paintwork is not too good and in my opinion it would cost more than is economically viable to get it back to original condition.
    But, if you are looking for an old car to use as a runabout and don't mind the faded paint, this could work for you.
    Although I didn't drive it, I had a good look over it. It's solid without rot and visually seems mechanically sound.
    Alison needs to get it shifted, so act fast guys (and girls)
  • Speaking to him about this today, I've always wanted a slightly older car and turn it into a little project and see if I can do anything with it, even more tempted after this report to go and see it ^^