Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Boys of Summer 2016 Baseball season

It's cold and dark outside, and summer seems an age away so what better time to start looking ahead to the 2016 season.

I write as a Red Sox fan still trying to get my head around $217m for David Price. The rotation certainly needed it, but thats a lot of eggs in one basket. Now with Chris Young adding to the outfield options, there are rumours they could shift out JBJ to try and make room for Greinke or Cueto on the roster.

Where will the big prize go next year......

- Cubs will likely make another marquee signing
- Cards are always in it
- Mets and Royals are still strong
- Dodgers have the talent

Comments

• One certainty is the dbacks being near the bottom again, I laughed hard at the Cueto offer, why he'd want to be pitcher numero uno for us is beyond me, and he rejected it pretty quickly
  • Be interesting to see where Cueto and Greinke end up.

It was always going to be fascinating with the free agent pitching talent on the market.
  • David Price could buy Charlton.
  • Could probably get a game.
  • David Price could buy Charlton.

Have a word with him then...
    :smile:
  • It's an even year, so the Giants will be there again.
  • sam3110 said:

One certainty is the dbacks being near the bottom again, I laughed hard at the Cueto offer, why he'd want to be pitcher numero uno for us is beyond me, and he rejected it pretty quickly

So we manage to sign Zach Greinke on a 6 year deal instead! Surprised at that
  • Longoria is a class above most 3B. I'm surprised that he is still with the Rays if I'm honest as I felt for sure someone like the Dodgers would pick him up. And Tampa do like to trade their older players for prospects.
  • The video is fake though.
  • Sponsored links:

• So, those Cubbies then...
  • colthe3rd said:

So, those Cubbies then...

They have been so good this year.
    Lester came good and the rest of the pitching staff kept doing their thing, with improvements across the board (Except Arrieta I suppose, but he was never going to keep up with last year's performances!)
    Heyward, Fowler and Soler are a solid outfield. Heyward has had a shaky start to life as a Cub with the bat, but has shown his value defensively
    And how about that infield? There's not a lot more to say when the whole NL infield in the all star game comes from one team. Rizzo, Zobrist, Russell and Bryant. Superb.
    Add to all this that the bench is decent too. Szczur, LaStella, Baez and the rest. The whole team has contributed.

One final thing though - David Ross. I honestly think he's one of those guys in a sports team whose contribution is far more than the stats suggest. The cheerleader on the bench and in the clubhouse and the wise old head who keeps the younger players focused and motivated. I got the impression he was a bit of an unsung hero when the Beardy Redsox won the lot in 2013. When he signed for the Cubs it seemed to be purely to appease Lester (who worked with him at Boston) and since then, Lester pretty much always pitches to Ross. It's telling when a pitcher wants a particular catcher, even if his numbers don't match the established first choice (and very decent) catcher's (Montero).
    Ross's retirement has gone under the radar of some - understandably I suppose, seeing as he's never been one of the 'superstars' and a certain David Ortiz is also retiring and taking a lot of the 'Final Season' limelight.

I'd love to see the Cubs finally break their duck this year. (Cubs v Redsox in the WS would be perfect!) They're good enough - they've proved that already - but can they sustain it? Maybe more importantly, will they have the mental strength to cope with the pressure if they start to get close? The Cubs have snatched tragic defeat from the jaws of victory before, be it bad luck, loss of form, choking when it came down to the nitty gritty or maybe it's the curse! But, if they're going to do it, this year looks like their best opportunity in years. And David Ross could well be a vital ingredient in that success.
  • Great post. Obviously I'd want Red Sox to win it but more than happy to cheer on the Cubs if they don't make it.
  • colthe3rd said:

Great post. Obviously I'd want Red Sox to win it but more than happy to cheer on the Cubs if they don't make it.

Redsox and Cubs have always been my teams. I think it's to do with them being steeped in history, unique stadia (with character) and ridiculously long World Series Droughts.
    I've only been to three baseball grounds (Wrigley, Fenway and the Mets' old Shea Stadium) and I loved them all, but these two in particular. In fact, my one and only trip to the US was in 2004, so I actually saw the Redsox in the year they broke their duck!
  • Always been a bit of a casual baseball watcher (Mets fan) but saw Moneyball for the first time last night and it ignited a bigger interest to follow the end of the season and playoffs. What a brilliant film - one of the best sports films I have ever seen and a great look at what goes on behind the scenes.
  • Looks like my Dodgers have the NL West won now, just hoping we can do something in the Play-Offs for a change, but it looks tough in the NL with the Cubs beating everyone in sight and others such as the Nationals to worry about, not too mention those damn Giants if they get a Wild Card Spot. As a Dodgers fan I should also mention the retirement of the legendary Vin Scully after an astonishing 67 years as the Dodgers announcer - the greatest of all Baseball broadcasters.
  • RIP Jose Fernandez. Completely shocked by that news.
  • It's always dreadful to hear of such tragic loss of young life.
    A real promising talent too.
    RIP.
  • His wife is currently carrying his unborn child, too.

Terrible.

R.I.P.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yeah absolutely shocking, RIP indeed. They were saying tonight how when he was trying to defect for like the 4th time his mum went overboard and she couldn't swim and he dived in to save her.
  • colthe3rd said:

Yeah absolutely shocking, RIP indeed. They were saying tonight how when he was trying to defect for like the 4th time his mum went overboard and she couldn't swim and he dived in to save her.

Without knowing it was his mum either, just knowing that someone had fallen in in the dark in the water. I don't really follow baseball anymore but in listening to people speak about him he seemed a lovely, warm, and exuberant young man.
  • SDAddick said:

colthe3rd said:

Yeah absolutely shocking, RIP indeed. They were saying tonight how when he was trying to defect for like the 4th time his mum went overboard and she couldn't swim and he dived in to save her.

Without knowing it was his mum either, just knowing that someone had fallen in in the dark in the water. I don't really follow baseball anymore but in listening to people speak about him he seemed a lovely, warm, and exuberant young man.
    Wow didn't hear that bit. Really does sound like he was a wonderful person.
  • Sensational young pitcher. I wanted the Red Sox to go after him - there were rumours before Pomeranz arrived. It's hard not to think if the deal had gone through he would still be alive.

Just a terrible loss.
  • He normally plays on Sunday's but they swapped his game to Monday to face the mets. I've watched him a lot this year. So sad. My wife and I are stunned over this