Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

DYN DDOS Attack

Some of you may have had issues accessing the site this evening, or ironically, may be having issue right now and can't see this. It's nothing to worry about, per se, and totally unrelated to anything Charlton!

There's an issue where one of the major DNS providers (effectively, a registry of internet addresses) are under attack (effectively, using many computers to overwhelm the servers with repeated and constant requests: the servers seize and stop responding for all--genuine--requests). It's like blockages on the M25 cutting off access to London. And we're caught up in it with half the internet, at least for some people and in some regions at some times.

Clear as mud? http://gizmodo.com/this-is-probably-why-half-the-internet-shut-down-today-1788062835

Or can't get enough if this stuff? Follow here: https://www.dynstatus.com

Comments

• Interesting, second time this week a site I use gets hit with a DDOS attack. #NotGuilty
  • Are we sure it wasn't the regime undertaking nuclear tests?
  • Believe Twitter got hit too. Another home of CARD. Or am I over-reacting?
  • Shows how high tensions are that you have to sat it's not related to anything Charlton. When I saw Vanilla forums telling me Charlton life didn't exist, I did for one second think that the site had been completely deleted as a result of some legal advice.

This really is a war.
  • I still can't access this morning via my wifi, but can on 4G
  • Couldn't access late last night, okay now.
  • Basecamp got hit too. Pretty annoying when you need to deliver a nightmare of a job. Thankfully got it all over to the client before 6 yesterday.
  • Shows how high tensions are that you have to sat it's not related to anything Charlton. When I saw Vanilla forums telling me Charlton life didn't exist, I did for one second think that the site had been completely deleted as a result of some legal advice.

This really is a war.

Same! I saw CharltonLife wasn't responding, then went on Twitter on my phone - and for some strange reason when Twitter doesn't load it simply says there are no Tweets - so it looked like the CharltonLife Twitter account had all of its tweets deleted. I must say, I did suspect the worst.

I must say, I did chuckle at how the Internet was built to survive a nuclear war... But a load of toasters and fridges effectively knocked it out yesterday.
  • The internet is flawed at its root level. DNS poisoning as well as issues with basic network protocols making DDOS attacks by massive, for hire, botnets an ever increasing risk. Weak CCTV cameras were used recently, just think of all the IOT devices with weak to appalling security that will be utilised soon. Will get worse before it gets better. Often DDOS is used as a distraction to a real attack also like the recent Talk Talk attack.

• This really is a war.

No, it really isn't.

• Sponsored links:

• Had a lot of trouble logging on tonight.

Are there still problems?