Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

West Ham fan's Vlog of a trip to Charlton v Chesterfield

Nothing very exciting other than at 10.30 where he says the police spoke to him about filming thinking it was a protest.

Didn't realise that the club gave out those silly clappers. Didn't see anyone using them. Didn't really impact on the atmosphere clearly as it was terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnoJ2wU8IHM

Comments

• The club were indeed handing out those clappers.
  • surprise no one threw them on the pitch.
  • Was he watching the same match as me ? blooming 'eck the football must be bad at West Ham if he thought that was a great game !!
  • I can't tell if the man and woman sitting either side of him are at the game with him or not.
  • I can't tell if the man and woman sitting either side of him are at the game with him or not.

I think they are.
    At one point the woman rests a packet of strepsils on his shoulder.
    Pretty strange behaviour if they didn't know each other.
  • Seems like a decent lad and he had some really nice stuff to say. Very interesting to see a neutral view of the club, our football style and general match day experience.

I cracked up at the fact he was obviously sitting in amongst a couple though, there's one bit where they're passing strepsils over his head.

The police requesting his details for filming Sam Bartam's statue was a bit weird though. Not a big fan of clappers either..
  • Clappers remind me of when Pardew was in charge . He introduced them if I remember right.
    The club seem to hand them to the people with the freebie tickets in the east stand but they look so disinterested in what's going on that they might as well not bother .
  • He enjoyed the match? It was dull and boring and I almost fell asleep!
  • Clappers were used when we got to the quarter finals of the FA cup against Boro, so that was under Curbs.
  • Sponsored links:

• BDL said:

Clappers were used when we got to the quarter finals of the FA cup against Boro, so that was under Curbs.

And boy, did they spur our lads on to a great victory !

:smile:

• more interested that he'd never been to The Valley before or, more surprisingly, never SEEN the ground before - not as he lives miles away - prob closer than most that post on here !!
  • It is weird, the police wanting details for filming the Sam Bartram statue. Would you actually have to give details for that in any case ? What civil or criminal law are you breaking ? Or anyone associated with any kind of peaceful protest needs to provide details to the police ? What category of law would that fall under ? Why would they want to ask that in any case ? It does seem a bit of paranoid behaviour. It was obviously a random request and not based on any prior intelligence as this was the first time this supporter had visited the ground, and had no protest colours. Maybe they spotted him in the ground.

It appears that some elements of the SMT are attempting / trying to convince to co-opt parts of the police to try & trample down on any kind of dissent. The protests have been peaceful, & CARD advise the local police of plans, so why the sudden upping of the intensity of the police focus & big interest ? It may be worth looking up what supporters rights are in these situations for future reference.

All the over the top responses of the club to dissent just ends being counter productive in the end (like the unmarked security strangling the Charlton supporter with the flag or ABT contracts). It just forces a greater rift between supporters and the club and further isolates the SMT from the dwindling supporter base. It is like they are actively trying to drive away support. That what will be the end result & the reputation of the club will take a further nose dive. They are not going to win the publicity battle that way.

It is very weird behaviour & hugely counterproductive. The hawks within the SMT need to calm down. They cannot make Charlton supporters love what is going on at the club.

Duchatelet really needs to sell.

I think they are.
    At one point the woman rests a packet of strepsils on his shoulder.
    Pretty strange behaviour if they didn't know each other.
    Pretty strange behaviour even if they did know each other.

• The police need his details for filming a statue? I'm sensing there's not a lot of crime in London these days for the met to investigate. Seriously bizarre request.

Shows the current state of affairs. In the past it would have probably been best to keep it quiet that your were a West Ham fan at the Valley and not, by way of mitigation, tell a Police Officer!
  • Liked the dig at our mascots. Is Katrien the only one who thinks they look good?
  • edited November 2016
    Probably an attempt at viral marketing from Pitch ;-)