Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

good free anti-virus software

edited June 2008 in Troubleshooting
Updates for AVG v7 expires today so you have to upgrade to v8, I have been trying a few times over the last month but the update alwasy fails, tried one more time today and got the same:

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for registry key HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows: creating registry key....
Error 0x80070005

So unless anyone is uber-helpful knows a simple explanation, then I'd be grateful for suggestions as to what other free anti-virus software to use instead of AVG?

Comments

• Good idea that Salad
  • Worked fine for me - Do they have a forum or helpdesk?
  • worked fine for me also and most of my friends who almost without fail use AVG.

Sorry no help, but shows it can be done.....
  • Get a MAC
  • just download free version of AVG 8.
  • Get ZoneAlarm internet security suite
  • AVAST is open source, free, ad I have never had a problem with it
  • AVAST is open source, free ad I have never had a problem with it
  • Have u disabled other security systems when u try to download the AVG 8 update? My Zone Aalarm had to be turned off and then it downloaded fine although it did take a while to download it and i'm on a good connection. Filehippo.com is a cracking site for helping you find whatever u want.
  • What system have you got? should be ok with xp. I have had trouble updating it on an old window 2000 machine, which it says it should be compatible with.
  • Sponsored links:

• Have you tried turning it off and on whilst wearing a pair of flip flops, cut down shorts and surfing tee shirt ?
  • LOL

the professional treatment eh!
  • [cite]Posted By: holyjo[/cite]AVAST is open source, free, ad I have never had a problem with it
    holyjo, is it free the links I found seem to require you to pay to become join their membership scheme first?
  • Have you tried uninstalling the old version first?
  • [cite]Posted By: wickford[/cite]Have you tried uninstalling the old version first?
    yes! Don't have any av installed at the moment!
  • Try here Salad....

Linky thing
  • Go download the same version you had before, install it. Restart. Open the install file, choose uninstall, should completely remove. Then reinstall new one. Should work fella.
  • Ive got the new version, but have found that it has slowed the laptop down.....takes nearly two hours every day doing the scan too.
  • It is free, you just have to register your name and email address etc. Ill send a link later if you still wish
  • Sponsored links:

• http://www.winpatrol.com/download.html

This provides a Costa & Rufus like protection against programs trying to get in to your PC. It can also work along with your existing anti-virus software.
  • Thanks all. Got avast for free and running now after going a week with no av software installed!!
    Will have a look at winpatrol as well.

Cheers.
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Get a MAC

Why?..is it raining?........;-)
  • BDLBDL
    edited August 2008
    [cite]Posted By: BDL[/cite]Worked fine for me - Do they have a forum or helpdesk?

Spoke too soon - It's ll gone Pete Tong.......

Anyone else having problems with AVG8.0
  • Avast is pretty damn good and so easy to use....especially for a computer 'numpty' like me!
    I'm very happy with it.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Avast is pretty damn good and so easy to use....especially for a computer 'numpty' like me!
    I'm very happy with it.

Pee'd off with AVG so downloading AVAST now!
  • Don't think you'll regret it BDL.