Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

November budget

I may be being incredibly dense or misinterpreted what was said in the Tory manifesto of 2015, but I swore they said they were going to put inheritance tax up to £1m. I checked on HMRC and it still says £325k. Is this still going ahead or has it been canned? Couldn't see any mention of this today either?

Comments

• I can't say it's the first thing I checked on mate.

I won't have to worry about it.
  • I only mentioned it as it was probably the one thing I actually wanted to see come out of their manifesto.
  • cabbles said:

I may be being incredibly dense or misinterpreted what was said in the Tory manifesto of 2015, but I swore they said they were going to put inheritance tax up to £1m. I checked on HMRC and it still says £325k. Is this still going ahead or has it been canned? Couldn't see any mention of this today either?

It comes in in April 2017 but isn't as simple as raising the £325k to £1m.

It's linked to property being passed on in what is called the Residence Nil Rate Band (RNRB) and the £1m is per couple.

£325k each (which can be passed on to a surviving spouse) - so £650k in total for a couple plus an increasing RNRB =- maxes out at £175k each by 2021 - hence a total per couple of £1m.

The property element can be passed on to spouse or children on death.

Confused????
  • bobmunro said:

cabbles said:

It's linked to property being passed on in what is called the Residence Nil Rate Band (RNRB) and the £1m is per couple.

£325k each (which can be passed on to a surviving spouse) - so £650k in total for a couple plus an increasing RNRB =- maxes out at £175k each by 2021 - hence a total per couple of £1m.

Confused????
    Thanks Bob.

Does make sense (just :wink: )
  • Check you out cabbs, less than 24 hours ago you were standing on the terraces shouting "Oo are yer" and now you are discussing the Tory manifesto. :smile:

• cabbles said:

bobmunro said:

cabbles said:

Confused????
    Thanks Bob.

Does make sense (just :wink: )
    Just to add to that very well put answer. The RNRB starts at £100k and increases in £25k steps every year until 20/21 when it (currently) maxs out at £175k
  • cabbles said:

I assume they never promised when in the Parliament it would happen anyway, and there are 3 1/2 years to go
  • Seems like a lot of stuff has been shelved, not least the tax on dying.
  • cabbles said:

Have you bumped someone off and now you're not sure it was really worth it?
  • Sponsored links:

• November budget.

Gone out the window with the sacking of Slade.