Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Missing Symbols

edited June 2008 in Troubleshooting
bart posted a link today regarding links.
In the text it clearly states that above my comments box (I assume this is my add comments box?) that there's a row of symbols Bold/Italic etc and that one of these symbols is a globe.
I don't have this row of symbols.
Why?

Comments

• Because you access the forum via ancient scriptures?!
  • Mate, no need for a new thread.

If you check "BBCode" for the "Format comments as" button you should see the format bar.
  • edited June 2008
    I didn't realise this would go into a new thread on the main message board, I thought it would go elsewhere as it was a Techy question.
    You have to remember Lookout that some of us wern't brought up with computers and apart from the bog standard stuff it can be very confusing.
    I'm 60 and have only had a computer a few years for simple stuff.The minute you start talking techy (which is second nature to 99% of users on here) I'm out to lunch mate!
    What very little I know about computer language I've picked up myself and admitedly it's less than bog standard.
    I've no idea what BBCode does,in fact it's the first I've ever heard of it!
    If I select that ,do I remain permenently in that format or just for the one off application and should I be in BBCode permanently or not anyway?
    I've just selected BBCode and when I went back to the Discussions page it has reverted back to Text?
  • edited June 2008
    Good god, I'm now managing to stay in BBCode Format but is this good thing?
    Had enough for oneday. I'll try a link sometime in the future so as not to torture myself and you guys any further.
    Still don't understand what the hell BBCode is all about?
    Over and out!
  • Just above where you click on "Add your comments" when you do a post there are 3 circles: Text, Html and BBCode.

If you want to do a link click "Text" if you want to do a pretty quote of somebody (without a link) click BBCode.

Links don't seem to work in BBCode so if you want to quote AND link use text.

I've no idea myself what Html is meant to do! Like you, SoundAsa£, I'm not from the computer generation either!
  • edited June 2008
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]Good god, I'm now managing to stay in BBCode Format but is this good thing?
    Had enough for oneday. I'll try a link sometime in the future so as not to torture myself and you guys any further.
    Still don't understand what the hell BBCode is all about?
    Over and out!

I clicked quote on your post, clicked a row under the last word quote in brackets, [/quote} typed my message and lastly clicked BBCode to do this....
  • edited June 2008
    http://www.charltonlife.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=17526&page=1

I copied my address bar, pasted it here and then clicked text to do this...

so each individual post you do you can choose which of text or BBCode you want (need) to use.
  • Len, your saying links don't seem to work in BBCode but that's 'exactly' what the info page bart posted suggests you do?
    Ah WTF!
  • If you want to put links in BBC code then you need to type like this:

[url]http://www.cafc.co.uk[/url]

the "[url]" bits wont show up but the link will work.

(i did this in "text" mode to demonstrate)
  • WSSWSS
    edited June 2008
    this is me doing it BBCode mode:

http://www.cafc.co.uk