Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• working local to the area, i think it looks okay difficult build because stamford bridge is in the middle of houses, im glad there staying put grounds around residential areas are dying out.
  • Going to be built by Swan Vesta apparently.
  • Most stadia are "in your face" and visible for miles in a clear line of site. This development looks like it has tried to be as innocuous as is possible.
  • From a transport point of view, when Chelsea are at home the whole of West London is an absolute nightmare as it is. Would love to know how they propose to have an extra 15,000 people travelling to games.
  • Most stadia are "in your face" and visible for miles in a clear line of site. This development looks like it has tried to be as innocuous as is possible.

I think that was the point.

If it was my team's stadium I'd want a bolder statement about who's ground it is but as a local resident I'd prefer the low impact.

It does have a cathedral look about it.

• Personally would've been a fan of them moving into the battersea power station site (even though they would no longer technically be in chelsea). Would've looked really epic with a proper london landmark. Instead we've got luxury flats...

• that looks a bit like Genoa/Sampdoria in Italy
  • Sponsored links:

• interesting that the number of away fans is increasing by a big fat zero
  • edited January 2017

Personally would've been a fan of them moving into the battersea power station site (even though they would no longer technically be in chelsea). Would've looked really epic with a proper london landmark. Instead we've got luxury flats...

That would have been an amazing development.

Stamford Bridge comes under Hammersmith & Fulham rather than Kensington and Chelsea anyway (H&F have 3 grounds in their borough which must be a record)
  • is that where Roland holds his company's AGM?
  • interesting that the number of away fans is increasing by a big fat zero

Quite correct, looking at the season ticket waiting list why should they increase it.
  • Personally would've been a fan of them moving into the battersea power station site (even though they would no longer technically be in chelsea). Would've looked really epic with a proper london landmark. Instead we've got luxury flats...

That would have been an amazing development.

Stamford Bridge comes under Hammersmith & Fulham rather than Kensington and Chelsea anyway (H&F have 3 grounds in their borough which must be a record)
    it would've been great, a lot of modern grounds get bemoaned as having no atmosphere, i think that ground would've instantly felt it had some atmosphere with those chimneys bearing down on you.
  • I'm particularly amazed that Spurs chose to build their new stadium in the same location as WHL - the traffic/parking/public transport is appalling already and will be twice as bad when it opens.

How on earth will they sell thousands of corporate hospitality tickets especially to midweek games? "Delighted you can attend our box Mr. Very Important Client - just hop on the Victoria Line to Seven Sisters then it's a short 30 min walk through arguably London's most beautiful area to the stadium."
  • I'm particularly amazed that Spurs chose to build their new stadium in the same location as WHL - the traffic/parking/public transport is appalling already and will be twice as bad when it opens.

How on earth will they sell thousands of corporate hospitality tickets especially to midweek games? "Delighted you can attend our box Mr. Very Important Client - just hop on the Victoria Line to Seven Sisters then it's a short 30 min walk through arguably London's most beautiful area to the stadium."

Was having this same discussion earlier. The transport system around WHL is abysmall as is. With a greater capacity many fans will leave early to get away. Arsenal have excellent transport yet their stadium is half empty on 85 minutes.

Back to the design. It doesnt look great from overhead, but from street level is looks decent.

There are so few decent sites in London. Arsenal were incredibly lucky to find a site round the corner from the Emirates.

And people from the city will take the train from Liverpool Street to WHL station.
  • Sponsored links:

There are so few decent sites in London. Arsenal were incredibly lucky to find a site round the corner from the Emirates.

And people from the city will take the train from Liverpool Street to WHL station.
    Getting the site for the Emirates didn't come without it's problems but yeah, as you say, they were very lucky.

It's just a shame that the design is shockingly bad. But this was forced a bit by the space constraints they had.
  • Anyone else think the Spurs capacity is just a direct dig at West Ham, Chelsea and Arsenal? They all have 60000 seater stadiums but the new Spurs stadium will be a 61000 seater stadium...

The Chelsea stadium looks amazing from the outside, but apparently they'll need to move out for 3 years whilst rebuilding it, where will they groundshare? Fulham and QPR are too small, West Ham is a non starter, Spurs and Arsenal are doubtful too, and I wouldn't want them at Wembley for that amount of time
  • Swisdom said:

Reminds me a bit of North Korea's Ryugong Hotel that was both hideous and so poorly designed that it couldn't be used as it was too heavy

This is why I love CharltonLife; all jokes aside, there are often some really interesting gems on here.

That's a stunning photo, I love little peeks in to North Korea.
  • edited January 2017
    LuckyReds said:

Swisdom said:

Reminds me a bit of North Korea's Ryugong Hotel that was both hideous and so poorly designed that it couldn't be used as it was too heavy

This is why I love CharltonLife; all jokes aside, there are often some really interesting gems on here.

That's a stunning photo, I love little peeks in to North Korea.
    Have you seen the national stadium in North Korea? Staggering

Capacity of 200,000 people (115,000 seated)

There's strong talk of a new 'spur' of the Victoria line, up to Northumberland Park on match days. There's already a tube depot there with the lines, its just a matter of building a station.
  • sam3110 said:

Anyone else think the Spurs capacity is just a direct dig at West Ham, Chelsea and Arsenal? They all have 60000 seater stadiums but the new Spurs stadium will be a 61000 seater stadium...

The Chelsea stadium looks amazing from the outside, but apparently they'll need to move out for 3 years whilst rebuilding it, where will they groundshare? Fulham and QPR are too small, West Ham is a non starter, Spurs and Arsenal are doubtful too, and I wouldn't want them at Wembley for that amount of time

Spurs might be playing at Wembley when Chelsea need a home anyway.

Wembley or Twickenham have been rumoured as the likely grounds.
  • sam3110 said:

Anyone else think the Spurs capacity is just a direct dig at West Ham, Chelsea and Arsenal? They all have 60000 seater stadiums but the new Spurs stadium will be a 61000 seater stadium...

The '61' is significant as its a permanent memory of the 1961 double winning year.
  • JohnBoyUK said:

I'm particularly amazed that Spurs chose to build their new stadium in the same location as WHL - the traffic/parking/public transport is appalling already and will be twice as bad when it opens.

There's strong talk of a new 'spur' of the Victoria line, up to Northumberland Park on match days. There's already a tube depot there with the lines, its just a matter of building a station.
    The Victoria line is already at full capacity though, I can't see it happening
  • sam3110 said:

Spurs have Wembley in 2017/18. If their ground is ready, and construction seems to be going well, that would leave Wembley free

Twickenham would be better for the Chelsea fan axe though