Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Philipp Lahm to retire

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38902631

Will retire at the end of the season. I was surprised when he retired from international football after the 2014 World Cup aged only 30, and now he's retiring from all football aged only 33, which seems terribly young, especially for a defender, who seems fit and healthy

Comments

• Options
    Saw this link earlier on the BBC Website but couldnt be bothered to read it.

Upon seeing it though I thought he was a lot older than what he actually is... 33 is no age to retire!!
  • Options
    I suppose the question is, what does he have left to prove?

He's one of the best full backs the game has seen - one of the best of his generation, at the VERY least - and he has won:

- 7 Bundesliga titles
    - 6 DFB-Pokals (essentially a big cup for sides in the top two tiers)
    - 3 of the German equivalent of the Community Shield (no idea if it's a joke comp in Germany like it is over here)
    - 1 Champions League, with two runners-up spots too
    - 1 UEFA Super Cup
    - 1 FIFA Club World Champ
    - 1 World Cup

Other than a European Championship, he's won it all.
  • Options
    Having won practically everything in football he probably wants to retire while everything still works, why risk injury that can effect you for the rest of your life when you have nothing left to prove.
  • Options
    He said himself he can feel his form dipping a lot, and I guess he'd rather go out on a high and remembered as a fantastic player rather than having to accept a bit part role in future seasons
  • Options
    He went 13 months without committing a foul in The Bundesliga.
  • Options
    Well no Euros, and "only" one Champions League

Indeed Ancelotti has said that Lahm could play until he's 40

He's got another 50 years as a retired footballer...
  • Options

Well no Euros, and "only" one Champions League

Indeed Ancelotti has said that Lahm could play until he's 40

He's got another 50 years as a retired footballer...

No shame retiring whilst your at the top of your game.
  • Options

And for that Neil Warnock would have shipped him out to Grimsby
  • Options

How is that even possible if you're a defender?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

How is that even possible if you're a defender?
    Playing for Bayern Munich being a defender is like being a midfielder, especially when you have Neuer playing about 20 yards outside his box half the time
  • Options
    True but to not commit a single foul? To not even trip a winger, pull a shirt, get caught out once by a turn of pace, that's ridiculous.

I can't believe that's right. To not be booked maybe, but to not even give away a foul!
  • Options

So did Cory Gibbs

TBF to Lahm though he has been there, seen it, done it. Brilliant footballer and, by all accounts, a really nice bloke too. Financially set up for life and he will retire to a life of punditry I suspect.....I reckon we'll see him on ITV or BBC at the next Euros alongside Thierry Henry and Wayne Rooney

• Options
    edited February 2017

True but to not commit a single foul? To not even trip a winger, pull a shirt, get caught out once by a turn of pace, that's ridiculous.

I can't believe that's right. To not be booked maybe, but to not even give away a foul!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2584574-philipp-lahm-commits-his-first-bundesliga-foul-in-over-a-year-in-frankfurt-draw

24 games, which doesn't sound as impressive as 13 months admittedly, but still decent.
  • Options
    13 months without committing a single foul.
    What a load of bollox.
    He must have been injured or something
  • Options

What a load of bollox.

Maybe it means he didn't have a number 2 on the pitch.
  • Options

What a load of bollox.

24 games.
  • Options
    Never sent off in his career either
  • Options
    Ian Chappell the ex-Australian Test Captain has the best line on retirement, as he always reckons that it is better for people to ask you post career "Why did you retire?", rather than "Why don't you retire?', whilst you are still playing!

Look at the example of Gary Lineker, whom retired at 32 whilst people still saw him as near the top of his game, whilst the like of Rooney are a shadow of their former selves, and thus people forget just what a good player they were at their peak.